Skip to content

TheWanderer

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheWanderer

  1. Don't worry about it, just switch them to auto, leave there. I've only had one idiot a BMW driver so nothing out of the normal there get irate about it, I just leave my lights on the Auto switch and occasionally use the Auto function on the stalk for when I'm on a long drive like on the A303, let the car sort it. AFAIC they're setup to the required specification at the factory, I'm most certainly not paying for a diagnostic or adjustment when it should've been done correctly and the system should calibrate itself on start up anyway with the little dance that it does.
  2. Well my car is nearly 1. So as I'm no longer in the financial position to pay for the map upgrades, I'll have to have them on a USB stick and download them at home, unless of course I've got the wrong end of the stick? I mean normally I'll use Waze or GM for navigation, but if they're not available for any reason I can fall back to the Skoda built in system to provide it.
  3. That works with the USB C sockets on the car? I've been wanting to install a USB C splitter into the car so I can the charger on, then have two USB sticks in the other, one for music & other for maps should the need arise. Every one has failed to be recognised so far! 😞
  4. Start with a phone call, I find its the best route.
  5. Yeah OK misspelt it. It's Diptane! 🤭
  6. Thanks, but I would now consider those results obsolete as they're 10 years old now and fuels & technology have moved on since then, and TBQH I don't rate HJ as I've followed its advice a couple of times and found it wanting.
  7. Hi folks Every so often I see an advert in my social media feed for stuff called Dipthane, which is a fuel additive and you get 4 doses per bottle. (I often use Millers EcoMax to boost the range a bit) Have any of you heard of it and used it? Is it any good? Any advantages in mpg or power? Your thoughts please
  8. On my last car which was a nightmare (an RS), I resorted to calling the customer service department directly and occasionally emailing as well. I found that it worked quite well as you got a confirmation email from them regarding your conversation and and if they tried to deny it you had a email record of it.
  9. It's unlikely it will have even the same software revision number. Even if it appears shortly I'd be nervous about installing it, in light of the previous software debacle.
  10. Just take it to another Skoda dealer, I suspect that you may have a hardware issue as well. Yes you should set the car up for primary user, but I doubt that affects the sat nav. Not that I use it, Waze or Google maps are superior.
  11. I mean what would happen if you entered the Blackwall, Rotherhithe, Limehouse, Hindhead, Mersey, Tyne, Southwick Hill tunnels amongst others, your car would stop. An utterly bizarre thought indeed.
  12. A8_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf
  13. Why would it not start without a mobile phone signal? That's ridiculous notion. Because if you stopped in a valley somewhere in the Lakes, Peaks, Highlands, Dartmoor or Exmoor, there's often no mobile signal, so under that premise you couldn't risk visiting any of them as the car won't start!
  14. No issues with anything since the 1941 firmware update. I've got a near 300 mile drive to Worcestershire & back tomorrow, so I'll be interesting to see if it behaves itself, especially as it did yet another update yesterday!
  15. You can get trimmable ones from TEMU, got one in the glovebox of my car. You can trim it to fit the hole under the infotainment system or just do what I've done after having two replacement windscreens and that's put a sat nav disc on the dashboard and attach a wireless phone charger on a arm... The reason I chose it, is that the windscreen is pretty poor and it's just easier to put up with a disc on the dashboard and fit this to it.
  16. Use de-icer and/hair dryer on them if they're frozen.
  17. Had an "attempted" update today, it failed. I didn't notice what it was attempting to update, but it said something about the Home screen, before I dismissed it. System seems to be working fine for now.
  18. I think there's a link in this thread, but whether it's still available for download I don't know. It's quite easy to do if you follow the guidelines that I put up (page 26 IIRC) & watch the video, however the warning of "You do so at your own risk" applies, otherwise book the car in to your dealer and they will see what's required or just wait for the update to appear OTA. 1941 has been appearing on vehicles via the OTA system recently, along with a few other minor updates associated with it (I think I've had 4 in total so far). So you may want to wait and see if your car just does the update itself. But if you can find the link to do the download and feel confident enough to do the update yourself, that's great. If not try another dealership, and see what they say.
  19. Yep it powers my GW622 fine.
  20. I'll answer it briefly as possible. 1. It's a Marmite colour, you either love it or hate it! 2. Do you like it? 3. Do you think you can live with it? Especially the morning after! 4. Resale value? Who knows. 5. It stands out like a sore thumb, you have any hassle with Mr Plod or any other nasty piece of work, it's easy to ID you.
  21. Thanks for saying about being a professional job.
  22. I made the suggestion that if like most people who own cars if something like that happens get it done via either a dealer or independent garage who deals with VW group vehicles as it will be done properly and professionally and the OP has got come back on the them. If they have the tools and technical skills and information to do the then go order the part, but buying car parts from auction sites could be unwise as you don't know the source and if the part is legit or not and it hasn't come from a stolen vehicle. So... Wind your darn neck in.
  23. It's all very well saying DIY it, but you need to have the tools, time and expertise to do it and then there's no guarantee it will work. Get a professional to do it and know that it's going to work, be coded correctly if it needs to be and put it down to an expensive mistake.
  24. You don't it's a dealer and or independent skoda garage job it's going to be expensive, so you may want to make enquiries on cost and have a seat handy and possibly a mobile phone ready for your insurance company as well.
  25. I've seen a few mentions of firmware 1945. Is there such a thing?

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.