Skip to content

JohnMack

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JohnMack

  1. I'd be for just cutting off the split ends and sleeve it with rubber hose. Vacuum hose is specific but for the amount you'd need to sleeve the ends I doubt it'd matter.
  2. Easier...without doubt. More enjoyable ?..... I enjoy deciding when I change gear. Like you say, cost will be less for servicing. Personally, I enjoy driving therefore I enjoy having total control .
  3. Ah, I see. Mine are wool carpet off-cuts. Your Fabia is worth better than TEMU !! Liking your progress, it's sitting nice. That spring kit was a good buy. 👍
  4. The mats brighten a slightly dull interior I think. Have similar carpet cut offs in one of my cars....I love them.......lets embrace floral off cuts !😆
  5. JohnMack replied to TR250man's topic in Skoda Yeti
    I'd put money on that starting and driving !
  6. Having recently sold on a slightly newer VRS tdi with slightly more miles, I know what it takes to keep them looking good and mechanically tip-top. However your older car looks in better condition than what ours was. It's clear to me you know how to look after a car. Good luck in your new home 👍
  7. That's a nice looking wagon, great advert too. Good luck with sale 👍
  8. Gives you a nice new gear oil feeling inside eh !! 😂
  9. Let us know what you think of the Meyle shockers 👍
  10. I'd say it's on the money if maybe a bit cheap compared to other stuff for the same money. Good cars 👍
  11. Sorry can't help on the part numbers, easy enough job though. Done this on our old VRS, I just used a trolley jack under the arm to release the spring tension...wasn't much tension. I never replaced the bolts either and had it in bits a few times, if you're mechanically minded and not a monkey then reusing these bolts isn't a problem.
  12. How long is a long time ?!! Have you removed the old fuel and added fresh fuel?
  13. If the job's done correctly, yes the fluid should be bled from the clutch slave cylinder as well as the calipers .
  14. A pair of tin snips will help 👍
  15. I'd check the linkage hasn't seized up first, take the nut off the motor spindle to free the arm, then check that you can move the wiper arms by hand.
  16. Sounds like keeping an eye on it is the thing to do.
  17. Slide off the 2-pin connector, deep-drive socket (I think it was maybe 22mm?) to slacken the switch then keep unscrewing 'till it's out. There's no extendable pouring spout incorporated into the top of the new bottles so I borrowed one from an old oil bottle....it screwed in fine.
  18. If alternator cable is hot and you suspect a high resistance due to corrosion then you could maybe just disconnect at the alternator and at the "big" fuse and fit a new cable between the two?.......just leave the old cable in place and fit the new cable in a route to your liking ?...until the weather gets better!! You mention a "scanner" would be helpful, as far as I know your mk1 Octavia doesn't have a control unit as such for the charging system, it's control unit is the regulator. Regards a "specific resistance", resistance isn't really worth checking as it's done with the engine switched off....... checking voltage drop under load IS worth doing. Have you considered bypassing the big fuse and just hard-wiring the alternator cable to the battery terminal?....the more connectors then the greater chance of resistance?
  19. If it's to the correct VW spec. then it should be ok.......or just get it from the dealer then there's no doubt ?
  20. What a great post As an old school kinda guy, and of the thinking that a car is a mechanical device to get from A to B whilst enjoying the fact you've looked after and serviced said car and not just bought(rented?) a computer on wheels to keep up with the neighbours ...... You gotta love an old diesel !! 👍 Glad it was just a senior glitch 😉
  21. I've done the same, any self respected honest garage will have no problem stamping the book and noting what work has been done.
  22. We've just done what you're thinking of doing, bought a 2018 VRS tdi with 100k miles to replace the 270k miles VRS we'd used for 10 years(original turbo, injectors, DPF, clutch!, starter, alternator).....it was 6 years old with 118k on it when purchased. They're great cars in my opinion although it seams(as suggested above) the newer ones do have a tendency to sip oil, maybe due to servicing or lack of ? The heater matrix can become blocked due to the silica bag in the expansion tank bursting, so check the heater works and consider replacing the tank if you get the car. I'd personally go with a manual gear box although many folks love the DSG which could be costly should it malfunction. All the best whatever decision you make.
  23. Contact Haldex Repairs, they'll confirm . It's not in their interest to sell you the wrong parts. 👍

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.