Skip to content

Routemaster1461

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Routemaster1461

  1. Surely on, what I assume, is a new car, the brakes may need 'wearing in' but I'm sure that in 8 months, they probably were worn in about 7 months and 3 weeks ago. Go to a different dealer.
  2. Unless it is less than 3 years old.
  3. Many cars with stop/start do this. Sometning my 1.5 TSi manual does is that if it stops in a traffic queue, it restarts as soon as the car in front moves off.
  4. Bit late, but does the SOS warning light come up, and does the light on the overhead panel go from green to red?
  5. Sorry to have taken so long to reply. I managed to get it booked in at a different agent for diagnosis. A drive of approx 35 miles and 4 alarms on the way. They got in touch with Technical who wanted to replace some paers but as we were off in less than 7 days for a 3 and a half week continental trip I had to book it in for when I got back. Car didn't alarm on the way home, and in fact, managed to get from Dorset to Autria without alarms for over 2 weeks and a lot of miles.I was considering cancelling the work, but then the car spoiled it and alarmed 4 times in the next week or so. Si it will be going in in early August.
  6. If it did all diesel owners would be in trouble. It actually freezes at minus 11 degrees, a temperature which we are unlikely to see frequently in most of the UK. #https://filowholesaleltd.com/blogs/news/can-adblue-freeze
  7. Look beneath the heater control knobs. You should see a button with a padlock diagram on it. Press and hold and it should disable the auto locking. To reactivate just hold it down again. On most cars with this feature the autolock should disengage in the event of an accident.
  8. I put the two dimensions in a tyre size calculator, and the increase in diameter comes out at 22mm, an increase of 3.27%. This is above the recommended maximum increase of 2%
  9. I am easily confused, and this has me puzzed. Am I right in thinking that on a DSG car, in coasting mode the engine is still running? If so it is using fuel. If however the car were in gear, taking your foot off the throttle would cut the fuel supply to the engine, therefore using no fuel at all. So if you are on a motorway doing 70mph and there is a jam ahead, in the first case you would be using fuel to idle the engine, then applying brakes to stop the car. If however it stayed in gear you would use no fuel, then apply the brakes from a lower speed resulting in less brake wear. Doesn't really add up to me.
  10. What do you mean by 'not contacting the whole of the disc'? If you mean the swept area doesn't reach the edge of the disc, this is entirely normal. If the pads made contact right to the eg=dge, then it is possible for the pad to have an unworn edge, then, particularly on non-ventilated disc, it is possible for the pads to touch each other and for the brake to become less effective.
  11. Just be aware that any of these cars will attract a higher rate of VED tax, whether bought new or not.
  12. I doubt very much whether you will be given a choice of numbers. I have bought 10 new cars since 2000, and only once, in 2003, did I have any choice.
  13. As far as I am aware, as a spare wheel isn't a legal requirement, if one is present it is not subject to MOT. This from Gov.uk 2.12 Tyres and wheels These will be inspected to check for: condition security tyre size and type tread depth Spare wheels and tyres are not inspected. Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 will be checked to make sure the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) MIL is working.
  14. If the boot is not electric, then obviously no. But if it is electric I would expect it to open. Just bear in mind that if it is like my Karoq the button will open the boot from a fair distance. I had my boot open everal times through accidentally pressig the button whilst my keys are in my pocket that I have removed the key from my unch and leave it on a table.
  15. Not feeling happy with Skoda and my local agents. Earliest booking I can get is 6th July, but the car will be on the continent in that time. So not in until 22nd July. BUT they are asking £24 for a loan car. I can do without one for a day for diagnostics (plus the warning of a diagnostic fee if they don't find anything) but on the last 2 occasions they had the car for 5 days, and I don't see why I should pay for a loan car whilst the car is in for warranty work.
  16. Sorry to drag this up again. Having already had my car in for extended periods twice for the SOS failure problem, and having two different aerials fitted, I used the car (after an ~4week break) on Tuesday. Did a total of 45 miles and had the alarm going off 4 times, and once more yesterday. Went straight to the dealers who can't give me a diagnostic appointment until some ime in July. As I need the car to go to Europe in just under 4 weeks that could mean the alarm every time the car is restarted and no working SOS system whilst travelling on motorways. The dealers suggested trying another dealer. I called them and explained the issue and they said they would call back, but nothing so far. Don't know whether they forgot, or whether they are not interested.
  17. My daghtrr has a Fiat Panda. A few weeks ago I moved it and noticed a regular thumping noise on turning from lock to lock in both directiond. Turned out to be a worn bearing at the top of the suspension strut. May be worth looingat that area.
  18. The error may be logged on the car system, so it may be worth taking it to the ealer. In the meantime try to get photos or video when the errors are on screen.
  19. Are you connecting with a cable? If so it is important that the cable is from a reputable manufacturer. I've has issues connecting my phone twice now, and in both ases it was a cheap cable causing the issue.
  20. Thanks all, I stand corrected.
  21. Whether or not you do the course, it is still a conviction and must be reported to your inurance company, and also anyone elses if you are a named driver.
  22. Nitrogen filling is basically a scam. It is a fact that the oxygen molecules are slightly smaller than the nitrogen molecules, and will leak out faster. But it is such a minute difference that in practical terms it is negligable. And that is it in terms of facts. The basic laws of physics and chemistry mean that nitrogen doesn't heat up faster or slower than air, or that there is a difference in compressibility, therefore comfort is not improved or made worse.Any other difference claimed is that it will prevent degradation of the inside of the tyre, but tyres will wear out and degrade on the outside faster than inside. Nitrogen fill is require on aircraft tyres annd is used on Formula 1 tyre. Fr anything else you are paying for no benefit and money is wasted. Try reading about it on a recognised site like AA or RAC, not a tyre company site. In fact here is what one of the tyre suppliers, Protyre, say. 'In our experience, the benefits of inflating tyres with nitrogen are so imperceptible that justifying the inconvenience and expense can be hard to do. It is generally more worthwhile investing in a tyre pressure gauge or visiting your local Protyre garage who can perform a free tyre check for you and advise on the correct tyre pressures for your vehicle.'
  23. The indirect type of TPMS isn't really suitable for sudden losses of pressure, as it relies on the system noticing the faster rotation of a wheel over an unknown lenght of time. A sudden loss of pressure will probably be too quick for the indirect system to recognise. Similarly the indiect system will not warn you if a tyre has gone flat overnight as the system requires input from the ABS system. The direct system should though.
  24. I have had mine stall a few times. I learned in the 60s when most cars didn't have synchromesh 1st gears, and it was difficult to slow and select 1st gear without stopping. This means that I have a habit of slowing down then trying to move away in second gear. This is when I stall it. I watch a lot of driving instruction videos and on those the drivers almost always select first gear whilst still moving. I will try to adjust my driving style to prevent a recurrence.
  25. Even with the matrix headlights you have to change the lights via the settings. I would suggest this is a myth, unless it has come in very recently.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.