Everything posted by Routemaster1461
-
First aid kit
Don't forget that many items in a kit from a previous car may well be out of date. One of my jobs as a First Aider in the chemical industry was checking boxes . The vast majority of the components were, luckily, never used, but the company did baulk at the vast quantity of replacements but couldn't really complain.
-
SOS issue again, and some info travelling in Europe
Further to my original post. I went to book for a service today and told the receptionist about my 5 or 6 SOS alarms. Having told her that the problem occurred on a continental trip, she asked me the country location when the alarms occurred. The first occurred just after arriving in Luxembourg, going off leaving a petrol station. After travelling into Germany and staying a few days, the second occurred shortly after leaving the Rheinfalls in Scaffhausen in Switzerland. The others occurred in Germany or Austria. No Alarms since very early in July. No alarms in the UK. I have no idea why she asked me. I suppose she wonders whether there is an issue with European service providers.
-
Help- DPF needs replacing after 33k
I get very confused by modern exhaust systems. My understanding is that the DPF is located right by the turbocharger. This is so that it can get as hot as possible to burn off the particles collected in it. The Adblue is to reduce levels of nitrogen oxides in the caralytic concerter, which is located under the car. The Adblue is injected into the exhaust system after the DPF, and as far as I am aware, can have no effect on the DPF.
-
Keyfob battery flat - start car ?
Usually you don't need battery power to start the car. There is a chip inside the key which communicates via induction with the immobiliser to switch the immobiliser off. My daughter's Fiat Panda has a key with no battery, although it has a traditional blade, and I use that all the time to start it.
-
SOS issue again, and some info travelling in Europe
I had the SOS issue a while back which was cured by fitting a new aerial. I hadn't used the car much until just over 3 weeks until we went off heavily laden to Austria on holiday. Just setting off from a petrol stop in Luxembourg on day 2 I got an SOS fault warning, which disappeared afterstopping the engine , poer down and restart. Same again in Switzerland on day 5, then 3 or 4 occurrences over the next 4 or 5 days. After that for about 10-12 days, no more alarms. 2 days ago we stopped at a supwermarket on the way home. I switched off the engine and a message came up for a software update. Something about an update to the SOS system to fix bugs. No idea whether it has done anything, but as I didn't have any alarms for at least the previous week I suppose it was no great surprise nothing had happened by the time I got home. Oil service in a few weeks time, so I'll mention this when I take it in and hopefully they can read the codes. Whilst I'm posting, just a few things of not from the trip. Fuel consumption was generally just over 50 mpg, but significantly lower when it was very hot at ~ 33 degrees (thank goodness nowhere as high as Spain and Italy. Petrol prices are pretty high, diesel is significantly cheaper in France and Germany, petrol tending to be ~£1.70 / litre. Austria isn't too bad though. If you have a petrol car and you wish to save a little money I suggest travelling over with a full tank and trying to return with as little fuel as possible. On thing I saw this year, they sell a gtade of fuel called E85. As the name suggests this is 85% ethanol and 15 % petrol. At just under £1 a litre it could be a bargain if your car will run on it, depending on what the consumption is like.
-
Check oil level warning
I have had issues with 2 cars (different marque) with oil level warnings. Turns out that the sensor was not in the 'centre' of the sump but towards the front. If I parked either of the 2 cars on an up-slope I would get a low oil warning, which stayed on until I switched the engine off and allowed everything to power down. On a restart on the flat, no warning. Perhaps something is happening to others.
-
AC shortcut to set to Lo?
If you leave it on low your fuel use will go through the roof. Just set it to 19-20 degrees and if the outside temperature is high the auto function will put on maximum cooling until the internal temperature begins to drop, then the cooling will back off, maintaining a decent inside temperature and not use too much fuel.
-
Light Switch
I have had the opposite. I leave mine on auto, and my knee knocks it to on. Only happens when my wife has used the car and moved the seat forward. I find t interesting that he car tells you to switch the lights on, not heard of that before.
-
General tyre query
This should be 'the tyres with the best grip should go on the back'. Not the same as new tyres on the back. Which tyres have the best grip is a difficult thing to ascsertain. Which is better, a part worn Michelin with 4mm tread or a brand new Chinese ditchfinder? Some thing the best tyres should be on the front. This could make a difference if someone pulled out or jumped in front of the car. As someone who has had the misfortune of 2 cars pulling out on me and me driving into the side of them at about 50mph, I would prefer good tyres on the front for braking. Skoda recommend rotating tyres at ~15,000 miles, then all 4 could be replaced at the same time, but I guess it is too late for that.
-
Start/Stop system no longer shuts engine off when stopping
Also bear in mind that the stop/stsrt system may not work under certain conditions, like when it is very hot and the aircon is working hard.
-
Start/Stop system no longer shuts engine off when stopping
I was under the impression that start/stop always defaults to on after switching off and restarting.
-
Light Assist Package
I have the Edition version, which I assume has the lght assist package (it has LED matrix headlights and auto-dip function, and it behaves almost perfectly. The only issue is that is is sometimes a little slow to respond to cars coming in the other direction. I would recommend it. EDIT. And remember that the lights can be reset for driving on the right, so no keadlight sticker nonsence.
-
Heated Front Screen
Wiring, swiches, integration with the rest of the electrics.
-
Karoq Tyres
Bear in ind that in a test, the conclusion was that the wet grip from prmium eco tyres was much poorer than the non-eco versions and was on par with non-eco Chinese tyres.
-
Driving in Holland
Auto light shave various sensitivity settings. Mine are set to the laest sensitive setting and always come on at the merest hint of darkness. I've never had any issues on any of the cars I've owned dating back to 2007. I think people are much more likely to simply forget to switch the lights on if they operate them manually.
-
Driving in Holland
Although it amay be true that the DRLs on our Karoq act with equal brightness as 'sidelights' , the difference is that there are no rear lights on with the DRLs. And unusually the DRLs seem to funtion at the same brightness even when the headlights are on. On our othrer non VAG car, the DRLs become less bright when acting as sidelights. On the subject of auto lights, I was following a Mini in the dark along the dual carriageway A31. There were no rear lights on. Eventually I passed it and found the the car was being driven on DRLs which appeared to be bright enough to provide some illumination of the road for the driver. If the car had been equipped with auto lights and they had been switched to auto this most probably wouldn't have happened. I always use auto on both cars, the only problem I have is that the system doesn't work in dalight fog, and I have to resort to switching on manually.
-
Tyre Pressure Problems
I'm sorry, I don't undestand how the indirect TPMS can give a warning for all four tyres. It doesn't measure speed but relies on the ABS sensors. The sensord measure the rotation speed of each wheel relative to each other and the speed which is in the system from the reset. If one tyre loses pressure the rolling diameter decreases and the wheel rotates faster. The system picks this up after a short while and indicates that there is an unexpected rotation speed, therefore a loss of pressure. On our Karoq the system actually indicates which tyre, although on other cars we have owned it did not indicate which tyre. If all tyres are losing pressure the rotation speed of all of them will increase, and there may not be a discrepancy between wheels, so probably no alarm. I could understand an alarm of two tyres were depressurising, but if three were, there would be an odd one running at a different speed, and whether the system would recognise the one revolving slower as 'abnormal' and the other three as normal, I just have no idea. I have no idea where the cars actually obtain their speedo reading from. If it isn't from ABS sensors it is possible that the TPMS system measures against the initiallised speedo reading.
-
Driving in Spain in my Skoda Kamiq 1.00 TSI SE L EXEC = LED lights
As the original post was over a month ago, this may help others. There may be a setting in the menus for left hand and right hand running. There is on our Karoq and may be similar on a Kamiq.
-
Tyre Pressure Problems
Does the tyre pressure diagram on the screen have the tyre pressures displayed? If not, your TPMS is the indirect type. Are you reinitiallising by pressing 'set' when you reset the pressures? If you are losing only 1.5 psi, I'm surprised it is registering, as indirect systems often only register when the drop is ~6 psi. Is it the same tyre which is low each time? If so I suggest you check for a slow puncture.
-
12v Front Socket - Permanently Live?
I have a bullet connector in my front socket. The tell-tae red light is always on. I would have preferred to run my dashcam from this outlet, but as it is always live I have to run it from the usb c socket. But that is a problem in itself, as connecting direct the car sees the dashcam as a computer, and will only work with a data only lead.
-
12v Front Socket - Permanently Live?
On the contrary, I've never known an accessory socket which didn't switch off when 'ignition' was off ,apart from an early Citroen C4 Picasso, which had a permanently live socket in the boot. The other two sockets were ignition controlled. This led to me running the battery flat in Austria when my kids forgot to unplug a fridge. The replacement car, a 2011 version, had a switched socket in the boot.
-
Temperamental ENGINE stop/start button
Can you confirm what actually happens when you press the button and it doesn't start. Does the starter operate but the car doesn't star, or does nothing happen.
-
Sorry, a tyre query
You probably have little option. A tyre of the same size from a different manufacturer will probably make little difference. You can't really use different sze tyres on the same rims, so you would need to buy smaller wheels with higher profile tyres. I have the same wheels on my car, also with Bridgestone Turanzas, and I am happy with the ride and comfort, but I am rather disappointed with the potential wear. I'm only on ~14000 miles but the tyres look touch and go for a 3000 mile trip in June. I may have to opt to have the wheels rotated front to back.
-
Reversing lights
This will depend on the purpose of the reversing light. Is it to indicate to others that the car is reversing or to illuminate behind the car?
-
New car.
Do they fit Eco tyres. These are not the same as summer tyres, and if they are fitted the difference in fuel consumption is minimal. I've seen a tyre test for Eco tyres, and the wet grip is far worse than the standard summer tyre, more on par with many of the Chinese imports.