Skip to content

Routemaster1461

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Routemaster1461

  1. Timing belt life is very variable between brands. Some Stellantis (PSA) cars had a replacement interval of 120,000 miles dating back to 2010. The newer 1.2 petrols have a lower initial replacement mileage of 60,000 miles, but this is due to the bands running in oil, although the subsequent change is at ~100,00 miles iirc.
  2. I don't think it is a good idea to mix Cross Climates with summer tyres, ocd or not. Itwill probably be unsafe in poor conditions. The car would be more stable with the Cross Climates on the rear, but you would completely lose the advantages of better traction and braking. As for the principe of new tyres on the rear, this was a big thing a few years ago, along with the fad for nitrogen in tyres. What it should be is the tyres with best grip in the rear. Some new cheap brands will have less grip than worn premium tyrs, and even if all of the tyres are the same, a half worn tyre will have better grip than a new or a fully worn one. With the better tyres on the front you will get better gri and steering. As I have had the misfortune of having t-boned two cars which crossed my path when I was travelling at 50-60mph, I know what I would prefer.
  3. Are you sure it is an oil level light? My Karoq gives a message 'oil level correct' on start up, and the light may be an oil pressure warning. On two of my cars (one present and one sold on) the oil pressure light would come on if the car was parked on an up-slope as the pickup in the sump was towards the frony, so the engine was temporarily starved of oil. Once the light was on it would not go out once the car was on a flat surface, and it was necessary to stop, allow all the systems to power down for a minute then all was OK. This means that my cars always have to be parked one particular way round on my drive.
  4. A couple of weeks ago the local Skoda agent called to speak to me. I was out so they talked to my daughter. They said there was a recall, that thet would need the car for ~45 minutes, and would I call to make an appointment. So I called them, and I was told that the recall was for a software update which would be delivered directly to the car. OK, no issue. So today I get a message on my phone telling me that I have an appointment next Wednesday (the first I had heard about this), and as I happened to be near the Agent I called in. Turns out that all it is is that Skoda wish to make an alteration/correction in the handbook, and it takes a while to register the change has been done with Skoda. I seem to remember this happening before. I will try to remember to post again when I've had the alteration done.
  5. For what it is worth, the ECO symbol comes on in my Karoq (manual) with very light throttle on flat or downhill. I never use economy mode. I can tell when it goes into eco as the exhaust note inside the car becomes harsh.
  6. Bear in mind that, when I first fitted my dashcam, all that would happen was a constant message on the dashcam screen saying 'connecting to computer'. I needed to buy a usb c to usb a datablocking cable. The alternative is to use a bullet adaptor; however the 12V sockets are all permanently live, so the dashcam will not switch off.
  7. Mine would never reset itself, so I had to drive from Surry to Folkestone along the M25, M26 and M20 without a working system. It went in on 17th for a new control unit, more software updates and a second new aerial (don't know whether it replaced the first replacement), all according to the service receptionist. Ran it 200 miles on Saturday with no issues.
  8. This is true, but unfortunately, Skoda, in their wisdom, have decided that all 3 (at least in my car), are permanently live. If I were to plug my dashcam into the front socket it would never turn off unless I pulled out the plug. Also, if I plug the dashcam into a usb socket, all that I get is a message saying that the dashcam is trying to connect to the 'computer'. I solved this by buying a power only usb c cable. Another issue is that I use a fridge on holiday, and having once, many yearsago, flattened the battery by my kids failing to unplug it overnight, I now use a lead which monitors the supplied voltage and switches the fridge off when the engine stopped and the supply voltage falls.
  9. This is not necessarily true, and may vary depending on age and model of car. When I got my Karoq and I first used ACC, the car was aware of speed limits and bends. So if I set the cruise at a certain speed, it would maintan that speed until it came to another limit. It would then reset to that limit, either up or down. This resulted in some pretty uncomfortable braking if going down from 60 to 30. When i came to bends the car 'knew' how fast to go, slowed down, again often uncomfortably, then sped up again after. If you have a DGS car, the car should slow down t a stop in heavy traffic and restart itself when traffic moves off again. I don't think it understands traffic lights though!! I found the whole system to be far too much for me so I reset it to be more like a standard cruise as I certainly didn't always want to be driving at the limit or for me or my passengers to suffer from the poor travelling experience I think it provides.
  10. First question. Is the car manual or DSG? There are some things that you ought to be able to do with DSG that you can't on a manual.
  11. Apologied for bringing this up again. I have previously posted about the SOS fault, as have many others, but I can't seem to find my earlier posts. As the subject came up on the Kodiaq forum I have made a couple of posts here. I wonder whether tis applies to other Skoda types and whether there is somewhere on the forum to discuss cross-type issues.
  12. So 've been to the dealer. Part one is the update I've already had and part two is a replacement control unit. Unit on order and should be fitted 17th October. Note: although this is the Kodiaq forum this applies to mu Karoq. It may also be true of other types. I'm nt sure whether there is somewhere on the forum where cross=type issues can be discussed.
  13. Mine doesn't reset itself, you have to stop the engine and wait abot 30 seconds for the system to power down. Even then, occasionally the fault immediately recurs. It has already been in for an update which obviously didn't cure it. Part of the issue is that no faults are logged on the system, but last time one related fault was recorded which didn't fault to in the car. So off to the dealer agin in the next couple of days.
  14. I'm currently suffering this in my Karoq. It went in for investigation about 6 weks ago and I had a sofware update. Only used the car once until we went to Austria and back. the alarm went off over 20 times in 14 days including about 6 times on the last day. The issue is that although it usually resets on stopping and restarting, sometimes it faults again immediately. We drove over 350 miles yesterday with no SOS system working, so if we had had a crash, ...... BTW, we get a triangle and SOS up on the dash (digital dash) and the telltale light on the overhead button goes from green to red.
  15. Does DAB work if the dashcam is off? If so, a different camera may solve the issue.
  16. There is likely no need to use the trip at all. If your car is like mine, just go into the vehicle parameters . You should easily find fuel consumption figures. There are 3 pages to scroll between, long term consumption, consumption since start and consumption since refuel. The latter page auto zeros when you fill up.
  17. I understand the pros and cons of direct v indirect, but I have always found indirect adequate for my personal need. Luckily I have never as a sudden deflation of a flat in the morning. One issue with indirect TPMS is that, on some cars, the system will only tell you that a tyre is underinflated, but not which one. I have only had one occurrence on our Karoq, and that told me which tyre needed attention. I assume that Skoda software is better than other brands, even though it should be easy to program a system to do this. Saves checking all tyres.
  18. I assume you mean that the miirror lowers so you can see kerbs. Are you sure it doesn't dip? Afaik the mirror control needs to be selected to L to allow the mirror to dip. I assume if R is selected the driver's side mirror dips.
  19. I've been thinking about why one would go to all this effort to replace a functioning indirect TPMS (assuming the car has it). The only reason I can think of i that there is a time lag on the indirect system as it must take a while for the system to notice the cahnge in wheel rotation speed, whereas direct is much more likely to react quickly. And, of course. indirect can't detect a total flat on a car which has been left standing for a long period. I assume diect can.
  20. It is not neessary to keep aircon on ll of the time. All you need do is to use it for a few minutes about once a month
  21. I had a car, different marque, which had a slow aircon leak that was never solved in the 6 years I had it. I always new it was on its way out due to the whistling noise from behind the dash.
  22. With an oil capacity of, say, 4 litres and an oil consumption of 0.5l/1000km, your oil would all be consumed in 8000km or 5000 miles. As I rarely have had to top up any of my recent cars between 10k and 16k scheduled oil changes the real world oil consumption of a modern car should be much, much lower than 0.5L/1000km. I do seem to remember though that some manufacturers would not consider warranty claims until the consumption got up to very high levels. A friend of mine had to trade a 2.0 petrol Audi A4 due to high oil consumption, and Audi would never take responsibility despite many cars having this issue. allegedly due to a duff batch of piston rings.
  23. I'm not sure it is applicable to all variants, but you can do it through the settings menu on my Edition. You can also change the speedo to kph, whilst maintaing other metrics like fuel consumption in mpg.
  24. I have 2 cars, one we use for Continental trips, the other we only use in the UK, although if necessary we could use it abroad. One car has everything we need on the continent, as most trips cover several counties. Our other car has yellow jackets and a triangle, not because they are required, but because I think it is sensible to have them. BTW, I do not carry breathalysers for France.
  25. May depend on the year. My 2021 car has 2032, but it is possible that they are 2025. The system seems to be sensitive to manufacturer, consensus is that Panasonic are likely to be the best choice, but I found them difficult to obtain.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.