Everything posted by nbramwel
-
Car Behaving Strangely
I had the same problem again on 8 March 2021. Car ticking over at 1500 rpm and the display telling me to change down from second to first gear whilst driving onto our estate - second gear is the right one by the way. I reported the problem to the dealer who advised that I was not driving the car enough on long runs and to take it on the motorway, keeping it between 3000 and 5000 rpm and accelerating and decelerating regularly. I went up the M6 to Preston and back home down the M61. The car seems OK now but what a waste of my fuel and time. Whilst diesel cars can be fraught with DPF problems, I thought petrol cars weren't supposed to suffer in the same way. Not impressed with this technology at all and waiting for the problem to come back soon.
-
D M Keith Ltd - Leeds.
A brake fluid change is at extra cost to the standard service but I agree the dealer should have at least asked you if you wanted it doing at the same time. £139 for an air con service is just a joke. If it's working OK, just leave it alone. Just another opportunity to sell you something you don't need.
-
Thompson & Potter Ltd - Perth
This is exactly why I would not buy a car without first inspecting it thoroughly. I appreciate things are difficult at the moment but it is simply foolish in my opinion to simply trust a car dealership to do anything other than get your money from you in any way they can. Get some advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau over your rights and how to proceed.
-
nearly new or new
I have had 3 cars (2 Fabias and my present Octavia) directly from Skoda stock. They were already registered and nearly new. One of the Fabias was a 2015 DSG SEL with only 19 miles on the clock and 6 months old. To me it was brand new but at least £4k less than list price. I went into a North West dealer one day and asked them to search the Skoda database for what I wanted. They said there was nothing. I went into a different dealer the following day and they found exactly what I wanted. In fact, they gave me a choice of 2 cars. Could be worth asking your dealer to check what is available direct from Skoda but don't be put off if they say they can't find anything. Try another dealer.
-
Rear Washer Not Spraying
Have had this problem a few times. The jets in the rear wiper get blocked quite easily. I just poked a pin into both of them and wiggled it about a bit. Solved my problem.
-
Fabia III DSG - is the 1.2 or 1.0 81TSI better?
I have a 2018 Octavia with the 1.0 engine. It has a GPF unfortunately and I believe it was fitted from around September 2018 (maybe a little earlier). I would imagine that the Fabia had the GPF fitted from around the same time. I don't think performance has been affected.
-
Fabia III DSG - is the 1.2 or 1.0 81TSI better?
My previous car was a 1.2 Fabia with the DSG gearbox. The engine was fine although the DSG clutch pack was replaced under warranty when the car was 15 months old. I now have an Octavia with the 1.0 litre engine although it is a manual. The engine is fine even though the car is much bigger. Nippy enough and runs very quietly. If I had to choose, I would go for the 1.0 litre engine although road tax in the UK is more expensive as the car is newer. Either way, both the 1.2 and 1.0 are good engines in my experience.
-
Something not right..... 2.0 TSI (190)
I have had problems with the petrol particulate filter on my 1.0 TSI Octavia twice now. Details are in this thread. A long journey seems to sort things out but what a waste. Just waiting for it to happen for a third time.
-
Dash Cam + Power Magic Ultra Battery Pack install (parking mode)
I have a Blackvue 750S dashcam fitted but rather than fit the Blackvue battery pack a couple of years ago, I went with a Cellink Neo which was the same as the Blackvue Power Magic B124 battery but cheaper. Don't know if Cellink do an equivalent of what seems to be the newer Blackvue B124X. Ironically, I found the Blackvue fitting instructions much easier to follow. These are at this link. https://blackvue.com/download/power-magic-ultra-battery-b-124-manual-en-ru-de-id-vi/ I wired my battery to the fusebox. If I remember rightly, I wired it to the rear wiper fuse (Octavia 2018). Hope this is of help.
-
D Day but now with added twist
Disgraceful that your original dealer has increased their price. I would have said just walk away but you have already done that. Good on you. Maybe someday, dealers will learn that the customer is king but it will be a long time coming. Like many other businesses, it seems to me that sellers don't want to deal with customers properly these days. That's fine but they will pay the price.
-
Car Behaving Strangely
I rang the dealer and explained my concerns at the engine ticking over at 1500rpm and telling me to change down a gear unnecessarily. They advised me to take the car in for a health check. A few days before my appointment, the car sorted itself out after a 45 mile round trip down the M58 and largely dual carriageway roads so I rang the dealer again. They advised me to still bring the car in for a check. The night before my appointment, I had a call from the service receptionist to tell me not to bother as the settings were programmed by Skoda and there was nothing they could do. I insisted they look at the car so I took it in as previously arranged. When I arrived, they were expecting me and needed no explanation of why I was there. The young service receptionist said 'it is your driving style'. I replied that I have been driving for 50 years and never had a problem like this before'. I had to resist saying 'and I don't need a computer to tell me when to change gear'. Anyway, the dealer said they had checked the car over and found no faults and I have a written statement from them saying no fault codes have been logged. The car is running fine again now and at least I have the problem logged within my warranty period if it re-occurs out of warranty. But I am far from impressed with the PPF technology. Even if/when I change the car for a newer petrol model, it will come with the PPF filter. So all in all, the future doesn't look that bright car wise unless or until I move to an electric car which won't be for a good while, given the cost and lack of charging infrastructure in the UK. I would be interested in anyone else's views on these filters and whether they have had problems. Thanks.
-
Car Behaving Strangely
Same thing happened again last night. Car keeps telling me to change down a gear and idles about 1200 RPM. Did a decent run along a dual carriageway last night and again this morning keeping in 3rd gear and lifting my foot off the accelerator regularly but the car is still the same. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, can any further advice be offered? Car is still under warranty but want to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible. Thanks.
-
Skoda Fabia discontinued
Fully agree with the above. Skoda have lost their way and whilst my various models have been reliable, they are getting more and more complicated which makes finding and fixing problems expensive. Service costs are also a rip off for the amount and work done and parts used. Dacia are now occupying the space vacated by Skoda and deservedly so.
-
Car Behaving Strangely
I noticed this morning that the car kept telling me to change down a gear unnecessarily. For instance, I was driving at 35mph on a level road in 5th and it was telling me to change down to 4th. As I was driving onto our estate doing about 15mph in second gear, it was telling me to change down to 1st. As I pulled onto the drive, I noticed it was idling just under 1500 RPM despite the engine being hot. The temperature gauge was reading a steady 90. I switched off and on again but it was the same. I guess both of these things are related. Anyone any idea what the problem could be? I am under warranty but want to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible as I am in the 'at risk' group for going out. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-
Blocked Rear WAsher Jet
I have a facelifted 2018 Octavia and I noticed last night that the rear washer wasn't working although I could hear the motor running. I checked it again this morning with the same result. But later in the day when I checked it again, the jet was spraying fluid from the bottom of the 2 slots on the wiper arm but not from the top slot. This isn't due to the jet freezing as the weather last night wasn't particularly cold. I am guessing that the jet in the top slot is blocked and the problem isn't due to a disconnected pipe as the spare wheel well is dry and the jet in the bottom slot is working anyway. My question is what is the best way to try to clear the jet in the top slot please? I am still under warranty but don't want to waste a full day whilst the dealer looks at this. By the way, I have always used VAG screenwash at 50% washer fluid and 50% water. Many thanks.
-
Speed Limiter
I have a 2015 Fabia SE L DSG at the moment which comes with cruise control and a speed limiter as standard. I am thinking of changing the Fabia for an Octavia. The one I have seen and test driven is 18 reg (May 2018) SE spec with a 1.0 litre petrol engine which is fast enough for me. I understand the Octavia SE has cruise control but don't know if it comes with a speed limiter. Advice on this (and anything else that may be relevant) from owners on this forum will be welcomed. Many thanks.