DIY Guide: The 'elephant hose CCV (catch-can) mod'

Basil

Yeah, I think it would work with a PD160, need to find a cheap one!! : )

I used self tappers to fit it to the intake initially, but there seemed to be too much vibration which I wasn't happe about, so rummaged around and found those bolts, not aesthetically pleasing, but with wide washers and nuts it seems quite secure.

Joel, Like the simplicity of your breather/filter set-up.

On my old polo, I just used a breather on the rocker cover, and it used to stink under the bonnet.

I used this catch can set-up on the Clio, and it worked well, as with the K&N induction kit, the breather pipe went back into the intake pipe, but vapours used to waft out of the cone filter, and used to stink again!! This type of set-up sorted that, and no more oil gunk in the filter, or bad oil smells.

Edited by jonnyvrs
added text

Nice filter position.

Did your can come with a bracket?

I used the original 90° pipe for my coupling, and cut the ends. then reused the fabric sleeve just as a finisher on the hose ends.

It was a bit of a mission fitting a reinforced PVC hose into a hard plastic coupling pipe of the same diameter. I had to slice along the hose, then dip it in boiling water to soften it, and gradually work it inside and out the other end, then I just cut across the pipe to get rid of the sliced area. I was pleased with the end result though.

those catch cans are a nice job........but make sure actual pipe going into catchcan is not to narrow....mine looked wide enough on outside but the final diameter was quite narrow...which could cause back pressure......i felt i had to widen it......drill it and stick to 3/4 copper inserts instead with adhesive...

not using in present car though...just going to atmosphere

Is this advisable to do on a car still half way through its warranty period?

It wont do any harm not too.

Just keep the original pipework and when it comes time to take it in just swap them back over. No one will ever know

Nice filter position.

Did your can come with a bracket?

I used the original 90° pipe for my coupling, and cut the ends. then reused the fabric sleeve just as a finisher on the hose ends.

It was a bit of a mission fitting a reinforced PVC hose into a hard plastic coupling pipe of the same diameter. I had to slice along the hose, then dip it in boiling water to soften it, and gradually work it inside and out the other end, then I just cut across the pipe to get rid of the sliced area. I was pleased with the end result though.

Yes, Mine came with all but the oil hose and the filter and I popped down to Pirtek to get some offcuts of hose etc to make up the joints for the crackcase.

Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

Your's looks very neat and tidy

I have run this mod without and now with a catch can.

Without a catch can, the car steamed heavily, especially when the ambient temperatures drop, in the summer it is nowhere near as bad. This was to the stage, where at traffic lights etc the steam was coming up from underneath the car and misting the windows. Other road users were flashing to point this out. I could not be doing with this, so i fabricted and fitted a catch tank.

With the catch can, the car feels to run better IMHO, does not steam and in the last 2 months i have not collected any oil in the can.

The car definitely seems to run better with this mod and the intake pipe looks to stay much cleaner than before but i personally would recommend a catch tank.

Alex

I have run this mod without and now with a catch can.

Without a catch can, the car steamed heavily, especially when the ambient temperatures drop, in the summer it is nowhere near as bad. This was to the stage, where at traffic lights etc the steam was coming up from underneath the car and misting the windows. Other road users were flashing to point this out. I could not be doing with this, so i fabricted and fitted a catch tank.

With the catch can, the car feels to run better IMHO, does not steam and in the last 2 months i have not collected any oil in the can.

The car definitely seems to run better with this mod and the intake pipe looks to stay much cleaner than before but i personally would recommend a catch tank.

Alex

Steam?? What does your car run on - water?

All mines does is drip a little oil

could you not have just removed the original pipework and slid the new hose onto the crank case vent and secured it with a jubliee clip?

Unfortunately not, the fixed vent point on the rocker cover was too big to slide the hose over, and the inlet joint was waaaaay to big, as the hose would have gone inside it. The pvc hose cost me £3 for 1.5m from hosequip.com. I was trying to think of ways to do it which didn't invole me chasing around for couplings and multiple step up/step down sizes of hose. I was pleased with the way it fitted. not exactly OEM, but at least the hose fixings were!!!

The part number for the 90° elbow vent pipe is: 038 103 493 M. Cost is about £10. Just thought, I could have spent that amount trying to find the right size couplings, so prob not that much lost cos I cut it.

Steam?? What does your car run on - water?

All mines does is drip a little oil

OK Oil Vapour/steam whatever you want to call it. Both mine and my mates did exactly the same

So the hose that came with the catch can was too small?

Well the catch can was used on my Clio, so the can inlet/outlet and hoses were matched to the breather pipe on that engine, which was 12mm diameter, so 12mm internal hose diameter IIRC.

The fabric sleeves shown in my photo were once one sleeve covering the 90° elbow. They are not needed, just thought it might make a better 'finish'.

I can takes some more pics and mail them to you if you want or pm me or something! :)