Coming soon, the greatest Favorit project ever! (Probably)

favguy

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work. I am hugely impressed by your attention to detail and ability to achieve such high qulity results! I don't know if you've seen this guy on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/BenjaminNelson#g/u

He has documented some very similar projects to this - To me, yours appears to be a more polished product, but he does encounter many of the same problems you have mentioned and goes into details of his solutions so I thought you may be interested.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments. VRSPhil, Thanks for the link, I'm familiar with Ben Nelson and his efforts, he's a good egg in the EV world, his car is mega low budget, got to give him huge credit for what he's acheived with almost no budget at all!!

I will be back soon with more updates, life getting in the way again at present, I'm beginning to think everyone will be driving electric cars as the norm by the time I finish mine at this rate lol!!

Regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Republic,

I'm doing this project for the hell of it, cost and practicality be dambed!! lol!!

But... I understand your comments, there is a perceived inconvenience and cost by many people. The fact most production electric cars available at present look and perform like bad plastic jokes (Leaf and Tesla aside) doesn't help much either!

The reality is though, if you don't need a range exceeding about 80 miles in any one day, a new electric such as the Nissan Leaf will cost far less to run than even the most cost effective diesel equivalent bought new over a period of five or more years, so if you are into long term ownership it works, if you change cars every year or two, maybe not (for now!).

But give it 5 years, when petrol and diesel is around £2 per litre road tax is through the roof and we're all bieng battered by the "green tax" brigade! Add to this you'll be able to get many mainstream electrics from VW, Ford, Vauxhall and the new Tesla saloon etc., with battery range up at around 150 miles per charge, and fast charge points at filling stations.. then the exudus from fossil fuels will start :rofl:

And by then... I might even have my Favorit finished, lol!! :rofl:

I have been following your thread with interest - absolutely fantastic :thumbup: Your attention to detail is impressive too. Im not a big fan of electric cars though this is starting to convince me otherwise, especially as you have used a Favorit as your chosen platform! :)

Hadn't noticed this thread until yesterday :o but I'm glad I finally found it. This is more than engineering, this is engineering as fine art! IMHO your solution to the motor/gearbox coupler problem qualifies among industrial design classics such as the Firth of Forth bridge and the Spitfire aircraft :yes: It's a great thing when something not only functions, but functions in beauty.

I wish you success with your project!

Should you contemplate a second conversion, this time on a 1998 Felly, send me a PM :rofl:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind comments about the build. Swedishskoda, I'm not sure I'd go as far as comparing my efforts to the design of the Spitfire! :o but I do try to keep the form and function balance right. :smirk:

Talking of Spitfires, they were powered by Rolls-Royce engines, and the current Rolls-Royce (BMW) have just built probably the heaviest electric car yet! Film clip is below, and you just have to love the RR CEO's impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, lol!!!

Back soon...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is mental!!! (in a good way!) never seen anything like it, and respect of spending so much time, money and passion on that kind of car. Deffo 1 of a kind, subscribed!

Hi All,

I thought I better update you all, firstly, don't worry, this project hasn't been abandoned and I intend to have it finished and on the road by this Autumn at the latest!

Life, finances & more lately heath issues have all conspired to derail the project, but I'm nothing if not tenacious (or patient?!) and I intend to finish it if it's the last thing I do!! :rofl:

I have in my possession almost all the needed components to finish the build now. The last missing part of the puzzle is the motor controller, and I have just sent $660 to the US to a very clever guy who builds kit form 144v, 500a controllers. It has a lead build time of about 3 weeks plus delivery time. So about a month, once it gets here, I'll assemble it and post an epic update of all the considerable progress since the last update, I'll then aim to keep it going through the summer to completion.

Sorry for the wait, and thanks for your patience (those of you who are still here that is!!)

To Matt,

Actually the Mk1 Favorit from 1988 was Skoda's first "all new" car, This is the much improved Mk2 with VW collaboration, but sorry, i'm being pedantic! lol!!

I do understand and respect what you are saying regarding the originality, I've restored classic cars before to exact oem spec. I don't really like customisation much, at least body wise anyway. All I would add is the conversion has been done as symathetically as possible, trying at all times to keep an original equipment look to the car, the body is completely unaltered with the exception of the sheet metalwork below for the battery boxes and I hope all the new instrumentation and underbonnet electric gear will have a "correct" and at least relatively period look to it (I aim for it to look like Skoda just might have actually built it this way back in 94).

In fact when finished, it should look just like a regular Favorit untill you get up very close, just with a slightly lowered stance.

Rightly or wrongly, the completly unique, one off finished result will make it far more interesting than just another rare, immaculate standard Favorit in my book, but that's just my twopence... everything is subjective :happy:

I'll be back with lots (& lots & lots) more in april.

Paul

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...