Over 40mpg average in a petrol vrs

Yes just to prove that it's possible to achieve. On the drag back from Nurburg this year some 222miles or so in to the trip I was averaging 40.1mpg through Belgium.

Shot taken averaging 65mph whilst on cruise control. Oh and ring cam shot of shiny blue one at the track. ;)

22497.attach

22498.attach

Excellent mpg and not surprising as it's been proven before that it's possible (although I've never achieved it :o). The Ring looks a lot quieter than when we were there back in May!

I drove a friend's Golf GTI back from near manchester to south of birmingham and got 41mpg which was very good for a 200bhp car , but you certainly won't get that on a tankfull of mixed driving , or if you decide to play :)

i achieve it in my 2.0 fsi, managed 36mpg on the way up to cumbria this weekend in stop start and some rather brisk roads too. on the way back after doing a 50mile run through some tough roads around the lakes (thanks to sharkrider) i was averaging 25mpg when i left and by the time i got home i was back at 36mpg again in the same sort of traffic conditions as we went up in.

i have to say it's great to get over 40mpg. I manage to do it easily on motorways these days (relaxed driving between 60-70) with town driving bringing it down to a lower more expected average.

One bizarre thing is that i quite often drive on the M8 between glasgow and edinburgh. It's dual carriageway and you rarely at peek time get about 60-65mph. Anyways, the bizarre bit is going to edinburgh i get 45-46mpg and coming back 38-39mpg. Either the wind makes a big difference or the hills do it - not sure which :)

My mpg's from start of 2008 is below in the sig too!

Get 44 mpg most days on my commute to work. I know before I leave when I need to be there, I know the traffic rarely moves above about 45 etc so the only way to make it interesting is to try and get a bit more out of the car each day!

Strangely going home it only seems to be about 40 mpg. More eager to get home?Surely not!

I think the car's ECU "adapts" to the very first 10 mins of driving before deciding on a mixture. I find that if I drive hard as soon as the engine is warm then I won't get much more than 33-34Mpg on the motorway at 80-85ish. However, like today, if I just cruise to the M'way then I get much more, did 94 Miles this PM at 80-85 all the way and averaged 42 MPGs...funny cars.

thats interesting about the first 10 minutes i thought it was constantly watching what was going on to keep the fuel going through i,e, from cold air enviroment to hot air and move the mixture to suit?