Skoda dealer VRS attempt on ebay

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not nit picking I just said I could see what Phil was saying, which is when you buy one of these do you get a list of the modifications and some statement that you guys will be covering the warranty where skoda will not in a legally binding document.

It wasnt aimed at you mate sorry!:thumbup:

Dont like the alloy. But other than that gets the :thumbup: from me.

The wheels stu post look good.

Was talking with swmbo the other day about the fabia II. Its a nice looking body but the current models dont make the most of it. Both agree than if they get the new vRS right it'll look great.

Limited edition might be pushing it, I revo'd my superb but somehow it isnt a limited edition... As for insurance it is easy to get a quote for a chipped car these days, you can choose it as a standard (?) mod on most quote sites.. however, if I bought a 1.9tdi sport and chipped it, its value goes down as with most modded cars, but when a dealer does it, it is fine and worth more... Sounds familar like when you buy a car it is the best most sought after model and when you sell it is worthless and undesirable. Oh the irony of it if the purchaser brings it back a year later as a trade in only to be told, that aint no limited edition, its a pimped up fabia and as such is worth half book! Titter

:)

On all accounts, the 1.4 Turbo is meant to be "pants" if the VW version is anything to go by....so if this is what we are all waiting for in terms of the new vRS then bring on the mods ?

I P*d myself when I read Clarksons review about this model, and immediately began to wonder if it will be an inadequate younger brother to the earlier vRS. If that's the case, I'm quite happy with my MK1.

By the way regarding this "VRS CLONE": SO long as you guys make it quite fair and clear that modified insurance is required, without duping any buyer (lets be clear, modifications and the rules of insurance is not something common knowledge to every owner and this is pretty clear from the insurance industry itself) then I cannot see a problem.

Insurance is significant though because it can add £100 a year because of mods - you should make this clear. Also can reduce the value of a car. At the moment other than retrofit Cruise I have decided to remain for the most part, standard for these very reasons. I just decided that standard, economy and reliability was more important for the time being.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article754961.ece

That is if the hype is still with the 1.4Tsi engine likely to take the strain to fill the requirement for the vRS?

Stage set for Fabia vRS | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

If people aren't sensible enough to realise that the car isn't standard and that they should declare this to insurers then they shouldn't be allowed to drive ANY car.

Don't really see the point you are all making in fussing about it.

If people aren't sensible enough to realise that the car isn't standard and that they should declare this to insurers then they shouldn't be allowed to drive ANY car.

Don't really see the point you are all making in fussing about it.

Wow, I'm sorry if I offend, but that comment seems a bit naive to me.

In this case the target audience is the web, and the eBay ad makes it pretty clear that the car is non-standard which is ok as far as Im concerned, absolutely no reason to fuss about that (hence I agree with you).

But .... if the car is ALSO sold this way from the dealer directly, I would absolutely expect it to be made crystal clear it is "non standard"

(not just down to my own homework on whether the wheels look like the standard ones or not, or whether its possible to locate this "special edition" with my insurance).

If my mother or sister walked into the dealer and naively bought the car, I would expect the onus on them to make it 100% crystal without any benefit of a doubt that it was "modified from standard" and would require special attention to detail in areas such as insurance etc.

Anything less would be "immoral" and your assumption that everyone should be car nerds on every fact about the car before buying it is a bit naive.

Also I am pretty sure that if things became unstuck the power of the consumer rights would back up my argument here.

Lets be clear its not a special edition/limited edition - its certainly not from Skoda that way is it ! Show me where I can find that model in the insurance websites

Edited by TonyFoster

Wow, I'm sorry if I offend, but that comment seems a bit naive to me.

In this case the target audience is the web, and the eBay ad makes it pretty clear that the car is non-standard which is ok as far as Im concerned, absolutely no reason to fuss about that (hence I agree with you).

But .... if the car is ALSO sold this way from the dealer directly, I would absolutely expect it to be made crystal clear it is "non standard"

(not just down to my own homework on whether the wheels look like the standard ones or not, or whether its possible to locate this "special edition" with my insurance).

If my mother or sister walked into the dealer and naively bought the car, I would expect the onus on them to make it 100% crystal without any benefit of a doubt that it was "modified from standard" and would require special attention to detail in areas such as insurance etc.

Anything less would be "immoral" and your assumption that everyone should be car nerds on every fact about the car before buying it is a bit naive.

Also I am pretty sure that if things became unstuck the power of the consumer rights would back up my argument here.

Lets be clear its not a special edition/limited edition - its certainly not from Skoda that way is it ! Show me where I can find that model in the insurance websites

1: You didn't offend me in the slightest.

2: I do not think for one minute that my comment is naive.

My point is that all too often people are not prepared to take responsibility for their own actions. E.g at the moment with all the talk of the so called Credit Crunch we constantly see people on the news complaining about the Banks etc re possesing their homes due to failure to pay mortgages. Now it is no ones fault but their own if they have overstretched themselves financially but no they must blame someone else. Usually it comes down to the greed of individuals to be seen to be keeping up with their neighbours.

A car is (or should be) a very carefully considered purchase and with that come sensibly a bit of research. Very easy nowadays with the net, magazines and even manufacturers brochures.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would also cost things like insurance, servicing and road tax before making such a purchase to see if they could afford it. And if not affordable should walk away and not be so materialistic.

Remember just because we may want something doesn't mean we must have it or even need it.

The basic point of my post which you failed to grasp is that people need to take responsibility for what they do. Not blame everyone else when things don't go as hoped.

I fail to see how Consumer Rights would support a consumer who failed to ask the most fundamental of questions and do the most basic of checks.

Or do you think everyone needs their hands holding?

Edited by loskie

If this is a taster then I can't wait top job Syd.

In regards to big dealers that upgrade boggo cars with alloys my dad had a almera a few years ago which the dealer branded as a sporting but all it was was a base model with alloys and spoilers, he was just told to tell them it was a dealer edition with dealer fitted options based on the boggo version.

Davy

In a lot of respects, I don't disagree where you are coming from at all.

My only point is that purchasing a car (as an entity, a complete point of sale artifact) should reserve us certain rights.

I agree that the ebay auction indicated (much like any "chopped" or modded vehicle which is becoming increasingly common) should be plain as day, take it as you read, clear what they are buying.

I guess what Im trying to say, as this is a dealer auction, is it limited to online only?

If not, I'm just saying your point is no longer valid; In the real world, without the full "blogs" on the car, to protect the interests of consumers it should be made clear this is not an off the shelf standard purchase (expected when walking thru into a dealer, which is patently where the car originated from).

What's it drive like compared to a Mk1 Fabia vRS. I had a Fabia 1.2? Level 1 on loan for a day recently and I felt like Mr Bean driving it. I was up in the clouds the seat was so high and the engine sounded like it was screaming silently. When I got back in my vRS it felt like I was riding on a rocket! :rofl: