Killing a Horse-Chestnut Tree?

Babs

Is it possible? Or at least stop it flowering?

Got one across the road from my house, and kids have started throwing large metal bars into it (and since the tree will drop heafty Conkers in October, I haven't a clue as to why they're doing anything in August...).

In the past, kids have caused damage to to flats next to the tree (they've put several windows in) and caused damage to cars parked along the road.

The council have been informed of the problem by all in the street for years and they do nothing, last year they came by and cut a few branches off but as you can expect that's done nothing. The council Rangers are useless and the Police say the same thing - it's the Council's problem.

So... any ideas? :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a nice compressor and nail gun, so you can do it from your window! :rofl:

As good as that sounds... I think I'd get carried away and shoot the b*astard kids too.... :rolleyes:

Doing anything to the tree to kill it, is as already pointed out a criminal offence and carries a large fine.

If the tree is on public land then it will be owned by the local council. and may well have a TPO on it, if it does then the fine is much larger.

Yes' date=' if the nail is big enough to harm the base of the tree. It can open an

entry for infection and disease. You also need to consider how big is the

nail and the tree. Driving a copper nail has physical, chemical, and

biological actions playing together. If the tree dies, it will not be easy

to know precisely what the main cause was acting. Copper as a metallic form

is not harmfull to tree nutrition. It needs to oxidize, to solubilize and

then be absorbed. Absorption of copper at the bark level may not occur, while

high levels of copper ion in the soil rooting system may lead to toxicity. Many

species of trees also will respond differently to this stress related to

nails in their bases. In biology we do not play yes/no answer!

[/quote']

1 copper nail in a horsechestnut = no result.

Any nail or minor injury (e.g. a twig breaking off in the wind) is just as likely to cause death in the unlikely event a serious pathogen entered before the wound sealed.

Copper salts are toxic in high doses - but as saplings trees are sometimes reared in copper lined containers!

The only realistic way a copper nail will harm a tree is if it is nearly as wide as the tree is!

Hi im arborist be careful if you think of doing anything to a tree even if you think you own it

The courts have powers to fine anyone contravening a TPO. The maximum fines are £20,000 for destroying a tree and up to £2,500 for anyone who does not completely destroy a tree but has carried out some other works without consent. It is no defence for a defendant to plead that they were unaware that a TPO existed on a particular tree unless the Council were the cause of such ignorance.

weve nearly be fined for making safe storm damage on our own land depending on the councils they can be very strict unless it suits them

Edited by micndiesel
spelling mistake

Drill a few holes into it and inject Roundup (Agricultural Grade not the watered down garden centre stuff) into it.

Highly illegal and quite immoral I would imagine.

It does puzzle me why kids would be throwing bars into the tree before any conkers had arrived since they wouldn't fall (even with a bar) unless "ripe". (Talking of conkers here of course.) Isn't it just bog standard vandalism?

Might be better off letting them attack the tree if they have bars - thinking that if it's chopped down, there might be a car or two for them to practise their baseball swings on... (Sorry tree.)

Mo

I gave them a stern talking to, which surprisingly they listened to!

Just gotta see how long it takes for them to "forget"...