Talex/Novus Database Discussion

VRStu

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just arrived back from the Lakes, what can I say, ALL camera's now picked up on Talex, both northbound and southbound including the SPECS southbound, Specs warning very accurate from point of start to last Spec cam on bridge.

Just a point for anyone travelling in either direction at these bridge works on the M6 near Carnforth, for the record these cams are"Live" as I witnessed them going off, as I was travelling north one of the cams southbound went off, can only assume the driver didn't have a Talex!!!

Superb database................ WELL DONE TALEX!!!!

Looks like I really need to update my Elite :rolleyes:

Had no luck getting updates though - will need to have another go! What update program are people using these days?

Sorry for the daft questions, but the update program I've tried thus far has always failed. So I might as well not re-fit it to my new car, as it's no better than useless with an out-of-date DB on it.

Cheers,

Steve

glad to hear Lee, like with many databases you never hear of many saying that it got all the traps on their journey only ever if it misses one and most often its the mobile ones which are the hardest to find.

@wardy, the talex elite are you using talex or novus for update? if using talex then they dont support it or i would have mine in the car, novus afaik is free on the elite but i did read in that auto express test last year you have to pay a sub for that one?

Cheers - that does enter a whole can of worms perhaps, as I was trying Novus after I got a similar story to what you say from Talex. I bought the unit with free updates for life - that was the main reason I went for it. But I have no idea if anyone will honour that now!

Steve

did try selling mine on ebay twice, seems to be unsellable even through the novus guy claimed they are popular and i would have no problems getting a buyer (this was last year when i first attempted it).

• 2 weeks later...

the database version and also a mention of earning free subscription by letting them know of any missing locations are things that are waiting to go up on the new site, but awaiting AB to do that. It something i have asked and asked for the past year and i know a few months ago the database section did write out what they wanted and were told it would go up, but when is another matter....

with ref to database im getting an error 14 which usually means firing up the pc again and it should connect.

• 2 weeks later...

Any recent opinions on the novus? Just seen them and the talex lite in Aldi priced at £45. I originally bought one when they were full price but took it back for a refund as I was concerned updates would not be forthcoming or would be crap and didn't want a £60 brick, lol.

i personally havent even updated my talex lite with novus in a longtime, gave up to be truthful as the further north it went the more likely it wouldnt be up to date. looks like they are banking on the cayotee thing and hoping their members do the updates for them.

it looks very similar to one they were doing under the talex brand, iirc made quite a few peoples tomtom's run quite slow... think if you do a search on here you will probably find it.

Anyone tried the Novus Talisman for TomTom Novus Talisman - Speed camera software for tom tom

I had a go at the trial, alongside my Talex Lite with the Novus database. The warnings came up slightly after the Talex Lite, but otherwise it was okay. I had used the old Talex one which slowed the Tomtom down to the extent that it sometimes froze for a minute or so. I didn't notice this at all with this version and the normal navigation fumctions all worked fine.

I had a go at the trial, alongside my Talex Lite with the Novus database. The warnings came up slightly after the Talex Lite, but otherwise it was okay. I had used the old Talex one which slowed the Tomtom down to the extent that it sometimes froze for a minute or so. I didn't notice this at all with this version and the normal navigation fumctions all worked fine.

What tomtom did you try it on,I tried downloading the trial on 2 computers both failed,it gives option to get them to post you a copy, I bet the time I get it the trial will run out.

What tomtom did you try it on,I tried downloading the trial on 2 computers both failed,it gives option to get them to post you a copy, I bet the time I get it the trial will run out.

Tomtom One - I think its version 2 regional (UK).

Well I'm just wondering if Talex are having trouble with their latest database, Tried to update the latest database yesterday (as this is usually when the latest is out, every friday) @ around 8pm.

The file size I got was 3372432 bytes, the same size as the previous Fri.

Just tried again this evening thinking there may have been a problem yesterday but again have downloaded the same sized file, only thing that has changed has been the version number 9035.

Found this a little strange as every Fri the database is updated and since Version number 8052 the file sizes have been different. Have they just kept the same database on it and just changed the version number???