Czech 2009 feeler/discussion

sms

Will be our only holiday too, but we are going to extend it so I get the chance to drive around czech. Might even do a mini road trip to visit friends in Slovakia and poss Budapest too. Nurburgring doesnt look too far away from Pilzen either, i'm thinking it might be do able there and back in a day:D

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - ideally I will want to ensure travel there and back is on a sunday, as this has 2 benefits

1) roads are usually quieter - lot less trucks on european roads

2) The ring is more likely to be open. ;)

It does mean slightly higher ferry costs though, unless you go at 2am (which I may well do :D)

The Doksy meet is traditionally the second weekend in September so base all your enqiries around then.

As for assistance I would be happy to pass on any snipets of info I have from previous trips (including the business card details of the guy we met at Skoda last year ;) )

As for coming along myself I very much doubt it as I'll be Skodaless, but I hold fond memories of both trips from 2006 & 2007 :thumbup:

Edited by Makefish

steve you can still come if you want :thumbup:

Right here are my suggestions so far:

1. a day out at the airfield. not sure how long for, any suggestions (day, hour, 6 hours?)

2. skoda factory tour - someone will need to arrange this.

3. how long we going for?

4. other attractions like driving down steps (tigger lol)

5. are we going in one huge group or in split groups of 5, less noticable to the rozzers (unless youre chris who this year will be an even brighter here i am officer) ;)

6. will we need CZ to english to CZ translation books?

there we go something to get started with. :thumbup:

Is it safe to assume at this stage Devonutopia (Jason) is going to be point man/leader? I think it would be a good idea to have a ring leader:)

I will offer my help in any way its needed.

I will offer to help with contacting people in Czech. Hotels in particular and confirm secure parking etc. I can help Jason search for a suitable hotel and confirm everything in Czech so theres no missunderstandings in the language.

I can sort out number 2 - Organise the Skoda tour/visit - Ive been before and you can pre-book an English speaking guide. I'm sure its not that difficult to contact Skoda and arrange it.

I already have some A4 sheets of paper with some choice words on them. They are set out in English, Czech and spelt in an English way how they sound in Czech. It only covers the basics but its enough to order food and drinks etc. Anything more complicated and you have to be able to understand the answer:rofl: Its always useful to have a phrase book too.

I would say you only need a couple of hours or so at the airfield. Keep in mind it is restricted access and if the rozzers turn up you will get kicked off (and maybe fined). the longer your there the more chance of getting caught. Last time I was there (walking) a bloody plane landed:D

It would be good to meet up with some of the locals too. Hopefully some previous contacts would be willing to meet us.

The 'main' contact from the Czech forum skodahome is P2M (Petr), he organised his troups at their end to coordinate with us. Petr speaks excellent english and can be found on both forums, skodahome has an english only section which Jason knows about.

As for accomodation I used this lot for both previous trips and were very good in understanding organising a trip for quite a few people: Athos Travel. I would also recomend restricting the trip to 15 cars and 30 people as a maximum, last year was a bit of a headache at times with so many!

Finally, I would try and split some of the responsibilities for the trip amongst say three of you as I know from experience it can be quite stressfull and extremely time consuming at times.

5. are we going in one huge group or in split groups of 5, less noticable to the rozzers (unless youre chris who this year will be an even brighter here i am officer) ;)

You wont be going fast enough to attract their attention ;) ..........................seriously though you will be fine in a group although travelling completely together will be nigh on impossible. What worked really well last year were two rendevous points on route which was great, as from the Czech border we travelled in convoy (or most of us did!) to the hotel :thumbup:

steve you can still come if you want :thumbup:
If Chris puts his name down then I may join up as a passenger with him but refuse to share a room with him as he snores like a pig! :P

Steve, are my recolections correct that at mimon the rozzers informed us it was possible to liase with them and secure the use of the runway without fear of being landed on?? If it is then it might be worth dropping the local plod a line to let them know you will be there.

I'm not aware of that but Petr might be able to shed some light on it.

There is another runway not too far from Mimon that can be used as a backup but the landowner requires some 'green folding stuff' to allow you to use it!

1. a day out at the airfield. not sure how long for, any suggestions (day, hour, 6 hours?) - 6 hours is MORE than enough, and will be lucky to do that. Better to make 2 shorter trips, one alone with skodahome, and the other during Doksy meet. :)

2. skoda factory tour - someone will need to arrange this. - I'm sure our resident translator / Petr will help. Will involve a short movie in English, english spoken guide taking us around the museum, then a walk around the factory with the same guide. :)

3. how long we going for? - I recommend 8 days at least - including travel which takes up 2 complete days at least.

4. other attractions like driving down steps (tigger lol) - Hmmm, tough one. With so many, organising a group night out is tough, but shall be attempted. Often better results are had from splitting out into mini-groups and finding your own places to eat in Prague. :)

5. are we going in one huge group or in split groups of 5, less noticable to the rozzers (unless youre chris who this year will be an even brighter here i am officer) - Convoy details will basically be "MAKE YOUR OWN WAY THERE" - Everyone should have sat-nav as a matter of course. Strict convoys will not be done as it's nigh on impossible. Groups will form / split up after every rest-stop. :)

6. will we need CZ to english to CZ translation books? - Doubt it. :D Most CZ people know reasonable english (young ones mainly - old boys generally don't) - Would be good to know some phrases though.

2. skoda factory tour - someone will need to arrange this. - I'm sure our resident translator / Petr will help. Will involve a short movie in English, english spoken guide taking us around the museum, then a walk around the factory with the same guide. :)

Worth it for her alone ;)

DSC_0759.JPG