Is the Octy 2 really an improvement on the old Octy?

Hi

Me im having troubles with my octy 2 - its the second one and in many ways no better than the first.

I bought a 2nd hand cappucino elegance from ALS on an 07 it was the 2.0 tdi and the sales guy said - yes no problem, great car, will be as economical as your octy 1 pd130. - yeah right!

The 140 does not go as well as the 130 and does at least 10 mpg worse coupled with spongy brakes, dodgy clutch and way too much electronic rubbish! As the clutch and brakes were 'fine' as well as the other rattles bangs and squeaks that didnt exist I swapped it for a newer vRS.

ALS told me the cappucino one was absolutely fine - it is used dontcherknow - its less than 12 months old!

Oh yes swapping it was a good idea!:mad:

The vRS does go and stop well and also uses less fuel (but costs more to tax how does that work?)

Only thing is there is a vibration from the back of the exhaust after a long run, the clutch vibrates and the engine covers fall off!

Ive also noticed when towing that although the dipped headlights adjust the main beam doesnt - giving you a MASSIVE hole in your lighting!

anyone else have problems like this?

(reckon I should have kept my 130!)

Edited by stevejwest

I agree that the 130 is a far better engine than the 140, we have a 140 Seat Leon and although it's a very capable car it isn't as economical as others would have you believe and nor does the engine drive as smoothly as the old 130 did. Sadly the 170 in your vRS is the bigger brother of the 140 and so I assume will follow many of the same traits.

As for build quality, I think the MKII is a big step in the right direction.

I have no problems with my 140BHP at all, on a 55 plate. Now with just over 60K miles on the clock, the only thing thats gone wrong with it was a fuel temp sensor failed. I have had the car since it was less than a year old and is now more than 3 years old. Fuel economy is pretty good for me, and I now get more than 550 miles per tank. The fuel economy has improved dramatically during my ownership, I guess the engine has now loosened up nicely. Road tax on my 55reg 2.0TDi was £115 for 12 months.

In many ways the 140BHP 2.0TDI is better than the 170BHP 2.0TDIin the vRS, for a start my 140BHP has no DPF in the exhaust.

The Mk2 is a nicer car to sit in and drive than my Mk1 was , though the PD140 engine does get a bit thirsty when pushed hard. The non-PD 110bhp TDI in my old car was much less affected by driving style.

That said I do now get about 55mpg on a tankfull driving with economy in mind.

As for the build quality issue - I can't agree with the Mk2 being better based on my experiences. My Mk1 suffered a failed clutch master cylinder in 82k miles and that's it for warranty work.

My MK2 had no end of problems with creaky suspension that took a year to fix and 12 dealer visits. I've also had a failed turbo at 56k miles , and now that it's just gone past 60k I am starting to get a speed related whining noise from the front end which is no doubt going to be expensive to fix.

Add to that indifferent dealer service and I see no reason to buy another.

ALS is dodgey they sold my parents a dodgey car once and does shoddy services.. never been back since!

its worth traveling to the garage in cambridge (cowley road) they are always good to help much better than als

I had no problems with my 06 140 either and was an all round better car than the TDi 115 estate I had

In many ways the 140BHP 2.0TDI is better than the 170BHP 2.0TDIin the vRS, for a start my 140BHP has no DPF in the exhaust.

May be true for the PD engines but the new CR 170 is streaks ahead of the PD 140 IMHO

( I'm getting similar or sometimes better MPG in my CR170 than my old PD140 )

Andy

I don,t have a problem with my 1.9PD 105 although is due for a DMF soon but these are common.Great engine,very responsive and powerful for a 1.9 and good economy too.

Build quality i find is better than my MK1 i had it has no rattles or squeeks from anywhere.

The PD130 is the best of the PD lumps imho.

Sorry to hear you're not won over by the new Octy Steve. I think they are brilliant cars, but the PD140/170 engines aren't my favourite.

Saw you in PPC too btw, that old heap gets around a bit ;)

I would have to say that my current mk2 vrs is an improvement from my mk1 vrs. It is certainly quieter in the car while on the motorway (despite my new one being a diesel). The interior also feels more solid and well put together with less squeaks etc than my Mk 1. The rear leg room is vastly improved too. Also more nice little features on the Mk 2 i.e. 4 flash indicators with a little flick of stalk and sunglass holder in roof etc.

I find that as long as you change the air filters on the PD140 regularly it will quite happily pull as well as a PD130, and i've certainly left a few PD130 Octy sized cars trailing when accelerating.

The brakes, yes they are not great, but fitting 312mm Octy II discs is a new calliper, and new discs, plus (optional) new pads. The pads and calliper are the same :)

They are much better at stopping.

I think that your sales team are selling some not very good cars from the sounds of what you are saying.

I loved the PD130 engine in my Octy1. My Octy2 only has the 105. Capable, but lacks that punch the 130 has when overtaking.

Sniff sniff. :(

Curses to the van driver that killed my 130. :mad:

Used to regularly get 58-60mpg with the PD130.

It does look like we are all getting varied responses from our octy11 whereas we were never unhappy with the 1 although some think it could have been better!

Well Skoda themselves rang up about my DMF and said there is the possibility of a solid one!

So if they sort the covers, boot that doesnt open on the key and stop it squeaking when it is closed and all the other niggles - that my old 1 NEVER had - 78k in the old 1 and only warranty was busted suspension and an indicator relay - ( and with what happened I am surprised it was covered!)

Ah well. I thinks I ought to concentrate on my Rapid ready for next years ppc Challenge!

Hi Tom - yep it does - my brother has it in aylesbury at the moment while I do his box and other mods!

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 2 months with a vRS I am now regretting it

THe headlights dont aim right - THe main beam is ALWAYS too high and the dips end up leaving a gap or glaring oncomming cars. The boot does not open correctly there is a noise from the rear silencer area at odd times and the DMF/Clutch is a pain - especially when towing

Vindis and Skoda themselves take the car in ad NFF everything - then I drive it and theres the fault!

I am wondering what it takes to be a master technician for SKoda these days?

The Customer service is slipping as is the build quality!

Provided you dont have a 2.0tdi I think its ok but you pay this much for a car and have these problem! Skoda get your act sorted!

I had a Golf PD 130 (2003) great engine by the way when tweaked, When i ordered a vRS they gave me a MK1 loaner(1.6). The mk2 compared to the Golf and the mk1 Octy the MK2 Octy is way ahead. I have done 16k and not one thing has gone faulty.

Steve, try another dealer. I know you have tried 2 already, but try and find one of the few remaining small independant dealerships that are not part of a large chain as they tend to be more customer focused rather than profit biased. I avoid all the big name dealers and trust my now ex skoda dealer with my car as its a small family run affair, and they take their time to help you. These dealers are becoming quiet thin on the ground because many cannot afford to change their dealerships to the new out of town standards that skoda want, so you may need to travel.

Our Octy Mk1 L&K Estate cost 14500 otr

add a remap

top whack 130, mpg over 50 easy, 60+ can be managed

130,000 miles & still going

We tried a couple of Mk 2's before getting the Superb but they seemed over priced for the spec & suprisingly full of rattles & squeaks. Those were early ones so hopefully the build quality has improved.

If they still made the Mk1 L&K I would love a new one. If anyone finds a low miler let me know !

Well after 2 months with a vRS I am now regretting it

THe headlights dont aim right - THe main beam is ALWAYS too high

and the dips end up leaving a gap or glaring oncomming cars.
The boot does not open correctly there is a noise from the rear silencer area at odd times and the DMF/Clutch is a pain - especially when towing

Vindis and Skoda themselves take the car in ad NFF everything - then I drive it and theres the fault!

I am wondering what it takes to be a master technician for SKoda these days?

The Customer service is slipping as is the build quality!

Provided you dont have a 2.0tdi I think its ok but you pay this much for a car and have these problem! Skoda get your act sorted!

Its a possibility that the off side dip is set for Europe or the light has been changed at some point before you got it,

I had the same black hole problem but followed the simple instructions from a post on here and have had no more problems

If your dip looks like this thats your problem \____ _____

it should look like this \_____ \_____ on the road in front of you

I've had Mk1 and Mk2 vrs's and whilst clearly the second is an "improvement" I enjoyed the mk1 much, much more.

Why is that, in particular?

My Mk1 vRS had the nice kick in the back, but everything else about my Mk 2 2.0 FSI seems better. In particular I'd pick out the handling/steering and gearchange, certainly the over-all space in cabin and boot.