Got rear ended on the motorway (pic)

Hi folks, I was rear ended on the motorway yesterday by someone who claimed they fell asleep and then hit me from the fast lane at about 85, I was doing around 70, and catapulted me forward. Damage seems to have mostly taken out the towing eye below and also the bumper needs replacing due to cracks and scuffs. Also the exhaust doesnt look right to me. Its going to be fixed soon. Does the eye need replacing, is it welded onto the floorpan?

eye.jpg

if so get a claim in for whiplash and for the damage to you car

Only make a claim for whiplash if it is valid. Visit a Doctor to be on the safe side, but don't put a claim in just for the sake of it, otherwise it bumps up the policies for the rest of us.

Definately worth putting in a proper claim for the car damage. Get the rear bump off and check for damage where the crash bar mounts to the car.

a very lucky escape there!!! by the looks of it you got off lightly ,did you get the ins deets off the pillock that hit you ?if so get a claim in for whiplash and for the damage to you car

Yes mate, I called the police too. They turned up and apparently they reckoned he wasnt insured to drive that car so they siezed it. Apparently though he was insured to drive it, or somethng. Heres the turd that hit me

IMG069.JPG

what a g@y numberplate on a rather chavvy car looking. Good job the police impounded it :-)

L plates on a car on the motorway? I thought it was meant to be illegal to drive with L plates on the car if you were not a learner. And if he was a learner, then what was he doing on the motorway? Hope the police give him a good slap!

I like the way you can see where your tow-hitch punched a nice hole in the front bumper! :)

Glad to see it's not done too much damage - I reckon the bumper bar will be fine. The tow hitch might require some hammering and welding to get it's structural integrity back to how it was.

• Administrators

Yep the rear end of the Octy is very strong.

A few years ago in my previous car, a 6 car shunt occurred. I was at the front and a fiesta stopped, then prat hit her the rest followed into him... I was the only one to drive away, the fiesta having lost most of it's grill, radiator and fluids. I had a 1" scratch on the bumper, the flex is great, the bar took it all.

15mph is not too bad both in the same direction, but it's all to easy for this to have been different. As you know keep an eye/sense out for the neck / back.

Hey John.

Sucks doesnt it! How are you getting on with yours? The back bumper had a few marks anyway so hopefully theyll give me a new one as its cracked to buggery now but has remarkably stayed in one piece, solid things.

Mines good thanks, needs a new clutch tho :mad:

I saw you at the lights by tesco's a few weeks back on the formby by-pass- was looking good.

They should replace the bumper for you - just hope they get the colour right as I believe red can be a tricky one to match.

The front end is equally solid, some idiot reversed into mine pushing my car about 2 foot backwards, handbrake was on and I'd left it in gear!!! Very fine scratches that polished out. Quite remarkable really.

So someone with c u m on his front bumper shunted you from behind... sounds like a Graham Norton moment...

In all seriousness - I feel dead sorry for you - but likewise as everyone else has said, you got away with your life and thats what counts. Hope you get it fixed soon!

Check the car very carefully for damage.

Take the boot carpet up and look to see if the boot floor is still flat as the towing eye is at the end of a fairly solid section. If that gets hit it can push the boot floor up (as happened to mine) and that's a complete bugger to repair.

Oh , and check the shutlines around the doors to make sure nothing is out of place.

The octavia is very good at protecting you in a crash but will still bend.