Wipers not working?? - Read this first!!

Try Fuse 15 which is a 10 AMP mini blade.

The wiper fuse arrangement is quite strange, as there are three fuses in the complete circuit. It always seems to be Fuse 15 that blows though.

A little tip. Always defrost and pull wiper blades away from the windscreen before using wipers. If blades are stuck to the screen the fuse will blow quickly.

Screenwash needs to be about 50 50 mix in cold weather.

If all fuses are OK and wipers still wont work, the bonnet switch could be faulty.

Edited by ap0gee
  • Like 1

I had this problem very recently and fixed it through the above advice, however, my rear washer no longer fires and my xenon washers have now developed a problem. The drivers side one shot off. It's gone....

Anyone know where to get another at a reasonable price?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its the wierdest arrangement ever!

Fuse for the washers blows and Front wipers and washers stop working but when satlk is pulled to activate the front washers the rear wiper goes off!

confused the hell out of me last night and had all sorts of thoughts about dodgy wiring related panic before finding the blown fuse.

odd. odd. odd. but luckily easily sorted

And if in doubt - pages 209 -213 of the owners manual give detailsof all fuses and fusebox layout .(Don't know if that's the same for Vrs ones )

Edit -added this link to another post on here where one can download owners manuals -

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/official-fabia-documentation-now-available-dowload-skoda-auto-s/136430/

Edited by VWD

Thanks for this PastyBoy. I had exacly the same thing happen today when driving in the snow - windscreen getting increasingly salt encrusted and I was on a dualler at the time :eek: . Did replacing fuse 15 fix this too? I've had anxious thoughts about an expensive trip to my local dealer.

Grantster

Its the wierdest arrangement ever!

Fuse for the washers blows and Front wipers and washers stop working but when satlk is pulled to activate the front washers the rear wiper goes off!

confused the hell out of me last night and had all sorts of thoughts about dodgy wiring related panic before finding the blown fuse.

odd. odd. odd. but luckily easily sorted

Thanks for this PastyBoy. I had exacly the same thing happen today when driving in the snow - windscreen getting increasingly salt encrusted and I was on a dualler at the time :eek: . Did replacing fuse 15 fix this too? I've had anxious thoughts about an expensive trip to my local dealer.

Grantster

Yup - I checked the 2 fuses i thought it was and paniced when neither of them was blown but then checked 15 and it was burnt out. Quick replacement and all was back to normal! :thumbup:

Yup - I checked the 2 fuses i thought it was and paniced when neither of them was blown but then checked 15 and it was burnt out. Quick replacement and all was back to normal! :thumbup:

Changed fuse 15 this morning and wipers working again. Washers still frozen solid, so I'm bracing myself for disconnected or bust pipes :-(

Thanks for the pointer PastyBoy, and everybody else on this thread.

:thumbup:

Had exactly the same thing as PastyBoy. Nothing worked on the wipers stork except pulling it made the back wiper work. But the trip computer buttons were working fine.

Thought the stork was knackered and might have to replace it. Looked on her and solved the problem straight away. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

ok i have a slightly different problem so not sure if here is the best place or to start a new thread but here goes

cars been parked up for a week (on holiday) and when i get back i find the intermittent wipe isnt working anymore, was fine before.

all other positions are fine, including the 2 speed continuous wipe, rear wipe etc. trip computer/reset buttons also working fine

ive done a quick check of the fuses and they all seem fine. i've also tried all speed settings on the intermitent switch but nothing:(

is there a seperate relay i can check or any other ideas ??

the neighbour has also mentioned the alarm has sounded twice which its never done in my 4+ years of ownership so could there be a common fault here??

for info the car is a 2004 VRs, no ECU mods at all, ive owned from new

Windy reminded me to try banging the bonnet hard shut which i did but still no joy, seconds later the alarm went off so i banged it even harder and hey presto now they work again!!! so there must be a loose/dirty connector somewhere but least its working now :)

Edited by the mad monk

Is it still working as a fix - it did for me for about 20 minutes and then it started again - the wipers also did exactly what you said as well and they came back on - is it the switch for the bonnet lock which is knackered ? My neighbours are going nuts - I cannot hear a thing as I sleep at the other end of the house and generally a a very deep sleeper - help aaagggghhhhhhh.

• 1 month later...

Right guys I have this very problem but your remedies arent fixing it.

The wipers gave up, I knew i'd seen this thread and re-read it and then proceeded to check the car.

The wipers arent working on any setting apart from the rear wiper when trying to get the front washers to work. :confused:

First off Fuse 15 was not blown but to be on the safe side I pinched Fuse 4(interior lights) to try but still no joy

Then I checked all the fuses that were said in the Handbook to be linked with the wipers and found Fuse 64 to be blown which is a 20A for Headlight Cleaning system. At this point I thought Cool all will be fixed and happy in a few minutes. How wrong I was!

So with the fuse changed the problem hasn't changed. I then got my trusty circuit tester out and checked every single fuse in the fuse box but non showed any issue.

So now i'm at a loss the only thing I can think it can be is either the wiper stalk or a relay, i've been told it cant be the bonnet sensor as that only affects the intermittent wipe.

Any help you can offer would be gratefully appreciated.

Paul

Question of following standard faulting procedures - voltage at motor - no - go to fusebox .Yes - try earthy side - volts -yes - look for bad earth ,no - whoops motor COULD be faulty .

In other words - go looking for volts and head in opposite direction if none found .Sorry -a forum is not the place to try to impart 40+ years of faulting experience .

Ill see if I can find a current flow diagram for you over the weekend. The motor isnt straight foward as such so If I can get a wiring diagram sorted ill see if I can work out a test procedure for you and you can let me know the results at each stage. Failing that im pretty sure I have a spare wiper motor and more than likely a relay.

Thanks VWD, And dont worry that explanation makes perfect sense as I have been in the motor trade myself, Electrics arent my forte though but so wish they were! lol

Best example is to think of electrics as water pipe -which you can cut/patch as you need .None go back -wet go forward - hope that makes sense -could post up a scan of Haynes - but that might be considered a breach of copy write .

Guys I have sorted my problem out with the wipers and finally found the problem to be the connector being not fully pushed in the back of the wiper stalk. I traced the system back as described in the previous couple of posts and had found no power at all so this lead me to checking for power at the stalk, So an airbag, steering wheel and coloumn shroud removal later and there it was not fastened in correctly. :mad:

I'm just glad it was that really as I was starting to think it was going to be an expensive fix.

So just to notify everyone if your wipers aint working except for the rear wiper when trying to get the front washers to work and you've checked all the fuses and they're fine it may be worth your while checking this connector before attacking over parts of the wiper system.

Thanks to everyone who helped me sort the problem especially Lummox who helped me through MSN. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wipers have packed in completely.

Started to check fuses then realised the following have all stopped working ..........

Heater

Heated Rear Screen

Side Lights

Rear Fogs

Help really needed!!!!