toyo t1r tyres with severe lack of grip.

Guys I had a blowout on my front tyre left this weekend after having inadvertantly driven over nails and to make matters worse i then found another nail in the other wheel, so thought id best replace them before it happens again. that was my new ultrac sessantas which had done 1500miles:mad:.

The garage i went to in plymouth didnt deal in vredestein tyres so i stumped for Toyo T1Rs(which they were highly reccomending there).

Now i understand a tyre needs time to bed in but jesus christ. Ive covered 250miles since fitting them, and the grip is downright scary.

Is this normal for this brand or are they just p*ss poor tyres.maybe it needs more time to bed in, i thought 250 miles would have sorted it though.

the vredestein sessantas were slippy for the fist 100 or so miles but then the grip was huge.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try going up a couple of PSI on the pressures

i've found the Toyos to be really grippy in the dry , on a Fabia anyway , maybe they just need a bit more mileage on them, wet grip is not too bad either

i never seems to need to bed in the tyres ,jus a few wheel spins and going aorund the roundabout a bit sideways job done .. u sud of got the conti pilot sport ps2 ,excellent tyres excellent grip in wert and dry condition ...

I've had T1s and T1R's on pretty much every car i've owned. I personally think they are awesome. Maybe they just need a few more miles to bed in. My bridgestone Potenza's took ages to sort them selves out.

I had similar problems with Goodyear Eagle F1s for about 500 miles... bear with them I'm sure they'll put themselves right :) Just take it steady in the meantime...

I had toyo t1r tyres before the vredestein ultrac sessantas I have now and I thought the toyos were at least as good for grip levels, they only lasted 11k miles though!

Cheers

Brian

I have found no better road tyre yet for grip and performance, for the money, than T1-R. I was giving mine (fairly new but well scrubbed in) merry hell around Combe and they were faultless for the whole time. :thumbup:

I have no direct experience with the T1R, but my experience with previous generations of Toyo tyres has been very good. Give them a little more time.

One thing you may wish to check is that they are not 'grey import' tyres manufactured for the Asian market and shipped 'unofficially' into the UK. This happened a few years ago with some batches of Toyo tyres.

yep i agree a bit longer wearing them in and the grip levels should peak. say about 500 miles if they don't improve return to the garage because they should have settled by that point. its also possible that a tyre conditioning solution has been applied to the tyres prior to fitting to make them appear shiny if the tyres are shiny this is most likely the case, as these are vinyl based solutions this can cause reduced grip, the manufacturers always instruct the garages to treat only the walls but often they just soak them in the stuff, it looks impressive but becomes tiresome once you get behind the wheel.

Had them fitted to my other car about six months ago and iirc they did need a fair bit of bedding in time but I rate them exceptionally highly now :thumbup:

WHen the PS2's are run out on the VRS I'll be sticking some Sessantas on their as I drove a VRS the weekend with them and was suitable impressed :D (not even allowing for the fact they are £45 cheaper per tyre than PS2's!!)

Lee

try 2.44 in the fronts and then find a car park that is empty and just spin the wheels a couple of times, this will burn off any remaining oils on the tires and then should help with the grip. If still no better i would suggest going back to the place you got the tires and speak to them about your concerns. Must admit when i got my falkens it was similar and ive not had that before.

G

The garage i went to in plymouth didnt deal in vredestein tyres so i stumped for Toyo T1Rs(which they were highly reccomending there).

Now i understand a tyre needs time to bed in but jesus christ. Ive covered 250miles since fitting them, and the grip is downright scary.

Is this normal for this brand or are they just p*ss poor tyres.maybe it needs more time to bed in, i thought 250 miles would have sorted it though.

This is normal for T1Rs. The are a smouldering pile of cow poo.

The grip will improve slightly but they will never stop letting go without warning. To add to the fun, when all the other variables such as speed, road material, tyre pressures etc are all equal, they will let go at different times.

Take them back & tell the dealer to stick them where the sun don't shine.

This is normal for T1Rs. The are a smouldering pile of cow poo.

The grip will improve slightly but they will never stop letting go without warning. To add to the fun, when all the other variables such as speed, road material, tyre pressures etc are all equal, they will let go at different times.

Take them back & tell the dealer to stick them where the sun don't shine.

Contrarywise; they have so much grip that I fall off the seat before they get a chance to let go!

For the OP; take the OEM pressures, then try going up 2PSI or 0.1bar all round, to give the shoulders a bit more support.

Contrarywise; they have so much grip that I fall off the seat before they get a chance to let go!

For the OP; take the OEM pressures, then try going up 2PSI or 0.1bar all round, to give the shoulders a bit more support.

It must be something to do with our (generally) higher ambient temps & (possibly) different road surface materials. They just don't work down here. They grip,grip,grip then pow! Off into the shrubbery.:eek:

Also, down here, it would be unusual to run 29psi (on any tyre). 32psi would be a minimum with most people running 34-38psi...... go figure.:confused:

I swear by t1-r's and am suprised you are finding them not to your expectations. As said by other members, give them a bit more mileage to scrub in. Town driving works best, many stop starts and turning.

I dont know what the weather is like where you are right now, but if its been sunny then rainy etc, no tyre I know of will grip well on greasy roads. Just a thought in case thats been the case.

As for the guy in Oz, I imagine your hotter temps do indeed have everything to do with the toyo gripping then letting go, as they are quite a soft compound rubber.

If I may, how did you perceive the lack of grip?

Wouldn't it be possibly related to too low pressure so that while cornering tyre deformed too much?

Slightly OT: just changed from Pirelli PZero Rosso to Goodyear Eagle F1 on front tyres and is a no contest for the Eagles which win hands down (on grip and on noise too)!

Any possibility they could be the wrong way round? if you had them both done at the same time, and there was a mixup.....

My boss had that after a trainee was given the job, he would have taken it in sooner but the wheel fell off lol, He was not pleased

I have the front tyres set to the factory spec 2 bar again now. I have trialled with different pressures from 1.8 bar upto 2.2 bar but there isnt much difference.

weather wise it has been dry with no rain recently where i have been so that should be irrelevant.

Basically driving around normally is fine but the slightest bit of power out of a corner or god forbid a roundabout and the nose just understeers wider and wider, and she wont pull back in. even with feathering the throttle, or lifting off it still doesnt bring the nose back in.

I havent done many miles since the last post so no update really, however i have a 600 mile drive to gemany on the 15th so they should hopefully be scrubbed in and gripping like i said by then as im on the nurburg ring that weekend.:eek:

reference the tyres being on the correct way, i shall take a look when i get down to the car park as thats a very relevant point especially if it rains

The Toyo's are a directional tyre, so if they are fitted the 'wrong' way around it will affect the wet grip, but have little effect on dry grip.

Don't change the tyre pressures too far from the manufacturer spec., believe it or not the manfr will have done a lot of testing to determine the correct pressures to maximise grip and ensure good handling. Stay within +/- 2psi for the load.

I believe you have had a fair bit of work done recently on your suspension (aftermarket ARB's and WALK ??). Are you sure that everything is as it should be? i.e. nothing 'moved' and wheel alignment OK? What you are describing in terms of lack of grip just doesn't sound right, I find it hard to believe that the Toyo's could be THAT bad. The mould release coating on the tyres usually wears off after a couple hundred miles.