latest fw for rns 510/columbus 2660/2666/2662/2668/2664

DSA

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Puzzled by this one... not played with it too much, maybe someone else can help? Been out this eve & mine definitely shows the speed correctly on the speed limit signs... :confused:

That's strange. I wonder where the information is received whether to use kmh or mph, maybe the maps themselves, or maybe information is fed in from the instrument cluster? I don't have the highline cluster...maybe that's an issue, who knows...

With the clock... mine didn't show either to start with yet it was set properly in the Setup menu. I rebooted with < > i ...lo & behold the clock appeared! Give that a try?? :thumbup:

Tried the reset but still it doesn't show when system is turned off. It's like the system has shut down but behind that black screen there is a clock display there. I see the white digital clock on the black background momentarily when I press the power on button, then the radio display comes on (like 0.5 seconds later).

Thanks for the reply.

Found another bug in the latest 266x fw.

I had problems with my batterie after the upgrade. It seems that more people are having the same problems (at least in Germany). This was confirmed in a special forum for the RNS510/Columbus users. Also nav.com reports users that have this problem.

It seems that either the gateway or the unit stays on and isnt shut off after taking the key out.

It cost me a new battery, so be aware. (battery was so dead, it didnt accept charging anymore. Probably a short circuit in one of the cells).

It can be cured by downgrading the fw.

Found another bug in the latest 266x fw.

I had problems with my batterie after the upgrade. It seems that more people are having the same problems (at least in Germany). This was confirmed in a special forum for the RNS510/Columbus users. Also nav.com reports users that have this problem.

It seems that either the gateway or the unit stays on and isnt shut off after taking the key out.

It cost me a new battery, so be aware. (battery was so dead, it didnt accept charging anymore. Probably a short circuit in one of the cells).

It can be cured by downgrading the fw.

How long did it take after loading the new firmware before the battery went dead ?

Carl (Mater) has had his loaded for a little while now and not posted any problems

Did the FW upgrade last friday but also installed a new handsfree kit (Parrot MKi9200). Saturday my battery was very weak so I connected a charger.

I had the charger connected while making the upgrade, so I accused the Parrot for draining the batterie.

Sunday (I only had the charger on for a couple of hours on saturday and drove about 30 minutes that night) I wanted to go for a little drive and my engine wouldnt start.

Battery was dead. So I connected the charger again, as I had to go to work on monday, but didnt trust the battery.

Monday I bought a new one and because of the longer journeys on monday, tuesday and thursday everything went well. Didnt use the car on friday and today suddenly my alarm siren went of. Went to the car and now the battery was so flat it even deleted the memory of the maxidot.

So now the charger is on again and tomorrow I will downgrade to fw 1100.

I have one of the first A version RNS510s and these seem to have these problems.

Did the FW upgrade last friday but also installed a new handsfree kit (Parrot MKi9200). Saturday my battery was very weak so I connected a charger.

I had the charger connected while making the upgrade, so I accused the Parrot for draining the batterie.

Sunday (I only had the charger on for a couple of hours on saturday and drove about 30 minutes that night) I wanted to go for a little drive and my engine wouldnt start.

Battery was dead. So I connected the charger again, as I had to go to work on monday, but didnt trust the battery.

Monday I bought a new one and because of the longer journeys on monday, tuesday and thursday everything went well. Didnt use the car on friday and today suddenly my alarm siren went of. Went to the car and now the battery was so flat it even deleted the memory of the maxidot.

So now the charger is on again and tomorrow I will downgrade to fw 1100.

I have one of the first A version RNS510s and these seem to have these problems.

I loaded the firmware over a week ago now, and so far (touch wood) I'vehad no weak battery problems - car has started exactly the same as normal. Maybe that means the later versions aren't affected.

It either seems to affect the first series of RNS or older cars (mine is from nov 06).

Can be a gateway problem or it has something to do with the unit (that doesnt switch off or keeps running at idle. My unit does turn off after taking the key out).

Hope for you all, that you dont have the same problem. A dead battery is something I could sell my car for (hate that so much :thumbdwn:).

It either seems to affect the first series of RNS or older cars (mine is from nov 06).

Can be a gateway problem or it has something to do with the unit (that doesnt switch off or keeps running at idle. My unit does turn off after taking the key out).

Hope for you all, that you dont have the same problem. A dead battery is something I could sell my car for (hate that so much :thumbdwn:).

It's the reason I came to own my vRS.

I had a VW Touran previously. Had a few issues with battery drain - dealer couldn't pin it down to anything, and I got rid. Looking back I think was probably to do with the fitting of an Alpine DVD head unit being permanently connected to a power feed.

If I'd have known about the RNS510 then I'd have probably put one of those in, in the knowledge that they are plug and play. But then again, if I had I wouldn't have ended up with the joys of the vRS !

So I am not the only one :thumbup:

Engine can blow up on the autobahn (had that already for a looong time) but a dead battery can drive me crazy.

OK enough OT, good night I am going to bed ;)

Easy to manipulate the files?

Yes - exactly as described - a simple 30sec job...

Any idea what the 'maxidot issue' is? Does that need other files adjusting do you know?
Once in NAV mode you cannot use the RH stalk to get out of it - no the same file rename trick fixes that also...

Got the BMW maps that were posted a few weeks back, never loaded 'em though 'cos it breaks TMC, has no Topography maps & lane guidance doesn't work... can send that your way if required but wouldn't recommend them just from what I've read...

I have the BMW maps loaded on mine. TMC works just fine now for some reason, no topography or lane guidance. Neither of the latter 2 bother me though as I would rather have newer roads against 2 features which I hardly or if ever used.

I have downloaded and modified the ISO file with the amendments above. Still to do the secret menu mod, and then I'll update the unit. The ISO is on my works PC, so it will have to wait until next week, I have done 3 firmware updates to mine already so I am feeling confident.

For those of you that are having problems with the speed showing in KM/H

This only happens normally if you have modified maps (say BMW or V4 with Speed Camera POI)

At the moment i can't seem to find a reason why this happens or a way round it but i am working on it so as soon as i find out then i will report back here.

Otherwise it's a cracking excuse to speed and get away with it :D:D

"Officer my Satnav displays the Speed Limit for the road and as you can Clearly see it says 115 is perfectly acceptable on this motorway. I was only doing 100 :)"

Wonder if it would stand up in court :rolleyes:

Carl:thumbup:

For those of you that are having problems with the speed showing in KM/H

This only happens normally if you have modified maps (say BMW or V4 with Speed Camera POI)

I have the V4 Maps with the Speed Camera POIs loaded inside it. I never thought that they would screw up the speed limit as they seem totally unrelated. But I guess you have figured this out by trial and error? Let's hope a fix can be sought soon. Thanks for the info' Carl!

I don't suppose anyone else has had the clock not appearing when the unit is turned off with FW 2660 and worked out a fix? Time Display is enabled in system options... It does show momentarily (0.5secs) when I turn on the unit, then the radio displays. Could this be messing up because I got the gateway error 202 on the update, hence the gateway within the unit was never updated from FW 1100?

Thanks.

No the BMW maps have both MPH & KPH as do the V4 Maps so that when you are in the UK it should show MPH and when in Europe KPH.

For some reason when adding Speed Camera POI files it alters the display to only show KPH.

As i said i am working on this and will hopefully find a way around it.

Carl:thumbup:

All I need now is a suitable gizmo to see if it works!

You'll need to connect the bluetooth phone kit that supports A2DP, the standard skoda one does not so it will most likely need to be the latest revision which is the RSAP one.

Just upgraded and worked fine. Was shaking like a ****ting dog though-especially when it rebooted throughout the process. Used Maxwell dvd-r burnt with image burn.Thank god it worked ! Just need to get it coded to Maxidot tomorrow yippeeeeee. Any body interested in a Bolero?

Downgraded to 1100 again, seems to be better for the battery in my case. :(

The fw update to 2660 (VW RNS) went well, without hesitation. No changed files in my case. Everything worked perfect, also the voicecontrol is a gem. But sadly it drained the battery because of a problem between the gateway (19) and the RNS.

As far as I have read in the fora up to now, it can cause a problem with older gateways and older RNS. (unfortunately I have a 11-2006 VRS diesel and one of the first RNS510).

Right, I have now fully modified the ISO with the file renames and the edit to enable the secret menu. I even burnt the disk, but the only thing stopping me now is this reported battery issue. I have a 2005 (06MY) car with a fairly early skoda columbus and I cannot afford to be left stranded with a flat battery.

If your car came standard with Columbus then I reckon you should be ok, from what I have read across various forums is it seems to affect (some but not all) retro-fits on early cars with early version CAN gateways (E,F that sort of vintage)

I got an S revsion (latest version I think) from Ebay.de for £80 as my car never had Columbus but did have an E version gateway.