latest fw for rns 510/columbus 2660/2666/2662/2668/2664

DSA

Mine's done that occasionally overnight, but it's been parked at Gatwick for the last 6 days, and it still thought it was in the car park when I started it up. If it does do the Germany thing, it sorts itself out after about a half mile drive. Did think it was funny when I set route for home from work which is 16 miles, and it said 778 miles. hehe.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rofl: :(

We have our fingers crossed it will though.... one day, after its holiday to Poland! :thumbup:

I wasn't kidding. It's been running 2664 for ages, just with SD card, hard drive and maxidot integration not working and it's never done the Regensburg thing.

It thought you were somewhere round about here:

It's probably just a default location until it's stored enough satellite data - Mine did it, Brimma's did it... & I guess everyone else's too?!

Cuppla days & it'll be right as rain...:thumbup:

Its The Tech Centre for Continental Auto GMBH, the manufacturers of the RNS 510

Continental Automotive -RNS 510 multimedia system ? New level in radio navigation

I guess its the birth place for the Navi.......;)

Yup :holmes: Continental (yes the Tyre people) took over some of the Siemens Group (maybe all, not sure).

Continental have taken over a few companies - ITT, then Temic (Telefunken automotive division) then Motorola automotive and a couple of years ago the automotive division of Siemens (Siemens VDO). They also own ATE (Teves) braking and a lot of tyre brands (Uniroyal, Semperit, General) - plus a few other companies. Its all part of the consolidation that's happening in the auto industry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ffs :) - I've got to go down to cov again next week but I'm working from home all week the week after so I'll send it off then.

Hi Wega3k, and others...

PLEASE help... I have tried to upgrade my RNS 510 to FW 1100, 2660 AND 2680 and ALL times I get "Gateway error 202" then just get stuck on "System unable to start"

I have read through all 20 odd pages of this forum again and again and tried many ways to fix this, including putting in a FW 900 disc, AND 1100 disc then after the initial OK, selecting Cancel in the hope I can trick the system into the "Downgrade error" screen, but this does not work. It simply ejects the disc after pressing cancel, then re-starts on the "System unable to start-up" screen.

I have tried both Eject, Mic and Sys resets... AND < > Sys resets, all with no result.

Have I missed something? Is there ANYTHING I can do?

I brought my unit off of E-Bay... and am now worried after reading this forum that this might be why I'm having problems upgrading.

PLEASE someone help me return my brick back into my entertainment system!

Wega... did you send yours off? is it fixed?

Many thanks guys,

Luke

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wega3k, and others...

PLEASE help... I have tried to upgrade my RNS 510 to FW 1100, 2660 AND 2680 and ALL times I get "Gateway error 202" then just get stuck on "System unable to start"

I have read through all 20 odd pages of this forum again and again and tried many ways to fix this, including putting in a FW 900 disc, AND 1100 disc then after the initial OK, selecting Cancel in the hope I can trick the system into the "Downgrade error" screen, but this does not work. It simply ejects the disc after pressing cancel, then re-starts on the "System unable to start-up" screen.

I have tried both Eject, Mic and Sys resets... AND < > Sys resets, all with no result.

Have I missed something? Is there ANYTHING I can do?

I brought my unit off of E-Bay... and am now worried after reading this forum that this might be why I'm having problems upgrading.

PLEASE someone help me return my brick back into my entertainment system!

Wega... did you send yours off? is it fixed?

Many thanks guys,

Luke

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Looks like I have the same problem. I'm not happy as I bought my Columbus in good faith and have contacted the seller explaining that selling a stolen unit is not on. I am happy to take this as far as needed to close the guy down. I'd hate my unit to be the result of someone else's misery.

I suggest you get the law involved to help prosecute these sh*ts. Start with eBay complaints procedure.

Mark

Mark, look at the 272x firmware thread, there is a link to a firmware that should recover the situation.

Did you buy from outside the UK, if you did then there is little if anything you can do to stop the seller. I Believe many have tried to get a foreign seller banned in the past with no luck. Ebay will require proof that the unit is stolen and that will be the hardest thing to get. A bricked unit with broken seals and soldering alone are not sufficent as there can be legit reasons for it.

Mark, look at the 272x firmware thread, there is a link to a firmware that should recover the situation.

Did you buy from outside the UK, if you did then there is little if anything you can do to stop the seller. I Believe many have tried to get a foreign seller banned in the past with no luck. Ebay will require proof that the unit is stolen and that will be the hardest thing to get. A bricked unit with broken seals and soldering alone are not sufficent as there can be legit reasons for it.

Hi Mannyo,

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. Easy done when you've spent hours downloading, resetting, rebooting ,re-flashing, and getting nowhere fast.

What is worying is the unit arrived with a typed label with the serial number and fw version 1024. Then I noticed that the Columbus label had been tampered with - masked was evidence of a different serial number and fw v 1004. Could be an innocent explanation i.e. breakers yard pulling units from cat D cards and cobbling together the best bits and selling them on. I've done that sort of thing myself. Using the better chassis from a dead/spares unit and using it to house the good guts from a bashed and battered one. I would always make a point of letting people know what they're getting though if I was selling.

I contacted the guy but have yet to get into the whys and the whats of it.

I've been through all the threads and have just about every version of firmware going. Tried for a couple of days to get the 272x fix to work but no dice. Then suddenly last night it booted with no Skoda splash screen but a red skin. Very limited function. No HD, no SD card. ~So I tried to reflash with fw1024 and now I'm back to square one.

What is interesting though is that everytime I try to flash the thing it follows a different pattern of reboot cycles. The speed of the updates of the various modules varies wildly too. One attempt on the HDD took over 15mins to complete then another took 5 mins. Attempts after my long drive home from work were way faster than the ones I tried at the end of the day at work before leaving for home. A borderline battery will have less grunt sitting cold than one that is warm and has been tickled by the Alt.

It suggests that some of the legit failures people have seen may be due to low battery condition when trying to flash. When dealers upgrade do they rely on the car battery or do they put a booster on just in case?

Anyhoo thanks for your help.

Update.

I gave up on the RNS510 in the car and pulled it out. I set it up on the kitchen table with a 12v booster pack for power to experiment in comfort and avoid looking highly suspicious for hours on end in the street ;) .

Looking at the various version of code the EcuOrder.txt fle seems to be a simple batch file. I did a bit of hunting and found Josi on VWNavi suggests this. I followed his instruction and used the following EcuOrder.txt:

SHOW_SCREEN 0 1 SWL_SCREEN_VERSION

SHOW_SCREEN 0 1 SWL_SCREEN_DISCLAIMER

RUN_SHELL_SCRIPT 0 DEL_FOLD /cddos/WA/DEL_FOLD.WSH

SWL

HOST

APPS

HDD

RESTART_SYSTEM

RADIO

MPEG

# VUCI

# RUN_SHELL_SCRIPT 0 DEL_FOLD /cddos/WA/DEL_FOLD.WSH

RESTART_SYSTEM

FINISHED_DOWNLOAD

# by josi 0000F272

The two lines that have been Remmed out {VUCI} and {RUN_SHELL_SCRIPT 0 DEL_FOLD /cddos/WA/DEL_FOLD.WSH} remove the Gateway Update part of the process and ends the software load as successful. Result - unbricked RNS510 with 2660 and more or less original gateway (not yet tested).

I haven't put it back in the car yet as don't want to risk the flat battery and I want to do more tests with other versions of firmware. Also have to order VCDS Micro Can to check the coding on the can when I do put it back. AND I've had enough excitement for one week! LOL

Edited by mrose

• 2 months later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Lard viewpost.gif

Has anyone got the MFSW working properly with this? Mine currently only operates the volume buttons, might chnaging the F/W help?

Guess who wrote that on my-gti? ;)

I�ll have to add this comment on the topic. First when i installed my Columbus over a month ago i only got volume and mute buttons working on the driving wheel. After that i upgraded the CAN-gateway box from F--> S -version. I could not code the columbus in right bfore that wit VCDS. After that all the fault codes went away and all the steering wheel buttons started to work. So it was only this 2664 FW-upgrade which killed the buttons without editing the filenames on FW-image.

So Keith L. i guess you might either have too old CAN-gateway or the Columbus is not coded right to the gateway. Do you have any fault codes when you check with the VCDS?

BtW.... firmwarewise i could not get Verbatim CD/R to work so i used DVD+R instead which worked like a charm.

Thanks for this info, I'll see if it works on my Ocy.

Any Australian Columbus users tried European firmware upgrades?

Looking through the Installation files there are an awful lot of EURO configs and i'm cautious about how this impacts function of radio frequencies and dvd region, etc. Update - seems the UK and Australia have the same radio frequencies.

my unit is a 3T0 035 680 with 0904 firmware without original discs, manufactured 02.11.2008, retrofit.

Update - I have just upgraded to FW2760 without any major problems. thread here

Edited by michaelp

• 5 months later...

OK here goes, I've been away a while, new baby arrived so not had much time, but looking on here I seem to have missed out

I'm looking at the following

firmware update

voice control

V7 maps

Can anyone help me out my skills are limited, I'm in north wales

I have a Rns510 supplied by Stu and fitted at my local dealer, also have the bluetooth phone kit (supplied and fited by Simpsons of Preston)

OK here goes, I've been away a while, new baby arrived so not had much time, but looking on here I seem to have missed out

I'm looking at the following

firmware update

voice control

V7 maps

Can anyone help me out my skills are limited, I'm in north wales

I have a Rns510 supplied by Stu and fitted at my local dealer, also have the bluetooth phone kit (supplied and fited by Simpsons of Preston)

First question. How old is your car and what version of CAN Gateway do you have fitted.

Once we know that we should be able to advise what to do next.

Mike

First question. How old is your car and what version of CAN Gateway do you have fitted.

Once we know that we should be able to advise what to do next.

Mike

Car is a 57 plate sept 07 so just over 3yrs, the rns 510 was fitted approx jan 2008

as for CAN gateway, sorry you've lost me. how do I find this out?

Car is a 57 plate sept 07 so just over 3yrs, the rns 510 was fitted approx jan 2008

as for CAN gateway, sorry you've lost me. how do I find this out?

Depending on what CAN gateway is installed will determine if you can upgrade the FW, as if it is older than a certain date/version, then the new FW will flatten your battery if you don't replace the CAN Gateway with a new version. VAG COM will tell you which version you have.

I will now bow out and pass you over to somebody more knowledgeable in this area. I sold my car and rns510 earlier this year. I am having one fitted by the factory on my new Yeti.

You might find in this thread somewhere what year the CAN gateway will be OK. I can't remember.

Mike

Depending on what CAN gateway is installed will determine if you can upgrade the FW, as if it is older than a certain date/version, then the new FW will flatten your battery if you don't replace the CAN Gateway with a new version. VAG COM will tell you which version you have.

I will now bow out and pass you over to somebody more knowledgeable in this area. I sold my car and rns510 earlier this year. I am having one fitted by the factory on my new Yeti.

You might find in this thread somewhere what year the CAN gateway will be OK. I can't remember.

Mike

OK mate cheers for that, good luck with the new car