Sticking turbo vanes solved!!! :)

Hi guys,

A while ago i posted about my car having troubles with going into limp mode due to the vanes sticking in my turbo.

It started to do it once a day or so.

my plan was to take it out a get it reconditioned etc. BUT before i did this mammoth job I ran my fuel down until it had 25miles left in it, gave it a double dose of Diesel Redex in with 5l of fuel and it right down and gave it some nice long journey and a few thrashes!

I am pleased to say it worked! i havn't had this problem for over a month! :D

Definately reccommend this before trying anything else! It worked for me it may do for you too!

James.

• Like 1

when accelerating briskly, usually above 3000rpm, when engine is giving max boost, turbo vanes stick open, causing an overboost, which results in engine going into limp home mode, engine will have very little power as its effectivly running without a turbo. restarting the engine allows the ecu to reset, bringing back full performace....until the next time the vanes jam open, then its back to limp home mode. Its caused by a build up of soot/carbon in the turbo, usually when the turbo isnt been used much, so cars that just pootle about town are most likely to be affected.

hope this helps :)

I had this on my Golf TDi, and yes it was sat in traffic day in day out. It only had the sticking vanes problem in 6th gear and was more likely to do it with a passenger in the car due to the extra load I suppose.

I found that giving it a good caning in the lower gears, coupled with a fuel additive helped get rid of the problem. I used Millers diesel additive (stinks though) but Forte is supposed to be the best stuff you can get. Buy it on eBay as it's not widely stocked.

I would be careful not to use too much of any additive in too little fuel though. These products are basically detergents that, diluted heavily by fuel, are supposed to slowly release all the build-up of deposits within your engine. If they are run in a less diluted mix they could release heavier deposits in larger quantities and that could cause other problems.

when accelerating briskly, usually above 3000rpm, when engine is giving max boost, turbo vanes stick open, causing an overboost, which results in engine going into limp home mode, engine will have very little power as its effectivly running without a turbo. restarting the engine allows the ecu to reset, bringing back full performace....until the next time the vanes jam open, then its back to limp home mode. Its caused by a build up of soot/carbon in the turbo, usually when the turbo isnt been used much, so cars that just pootle about town are most likely to be affected.

hope this helps :)

Cheers for the reply bud.

Something doesnt add up to me though.its not really the vanes of the turbo sticking is it...more like the waste gate sticking shut that gives the over boost. maybe removing the WG and cleaning all the moving parts would help?

Cheers for the reply bud.

Something doesnt add up to me though.its not really the vanes of the turbo sticking is it...more like the waste gate sticking shut that gives the over boost. maybe removing the WG and cleaning all the moving parts would help?

These turbos have a set of vectoring stator vanes in them which vary the angle the exhaust gas hits the impellor at (and hence allow the impellor to develop more speed at lower revs). When they get stuck, they stick in the "low revs" position, which allows the impellor to over-speed, and hence develop excess boost pressure, at high engine revs, typically 3_000ish.

These turbos have a set of vectoring stator vanes in them which vary the angle the exhaust gas hits the impellor at (and hence allow the impellor to develop more speed at lower revs). When they get stuck, they stick in the "low revs" position, which allows the impellor to over-speed, and hence develop excess boost pressure, at high engine revs, typically 3_000ish.

Ahh!! on the ball bud:thumbup: I understand ye now. Thankfully I wont have this problem with my 90bhp AGR.....:rolleyes: VP-1 PD-0 :rofl:

Ahh!! on the ball bud:thumbup: I understand ye now. Thankfully I wont have this problem with my 90bhp AGR.....:rolleyes: VP-1 PD-0 :rofl:

the 110 is non PD, and iirc some of 90bhp had a VNT turbo. However as I suffer overboost issues now and then I'll try giving the car some redex like stuff.....

I tend to get a stutter for a few days when pulling away when the engine is cold, around the 2-2.2k rev mark in 2nd gear and then a few days later it overboosts and drops into limp mode.

Yes it is Greg123 who is a regular contributor to this site. Comes highly recommended. He knows his stuff is VERY reasonably priced and is a really nice bloke as well!! AND VNT strip, clean and rebuilds are his speciality!:thumbup:

Dan

Can someone tell me what is the part number for n75 valve?

Take a look at the sticky at the start of the list ( http://briskoda.net/octavia-i/octavia-useful-part-numbers-octavia-diy-servicing-mods/55981/) where the part number, applicable engines and price are as shown below:-

Electro change-over valve (N75 wastegate regulator valve) - AGU, AUM, ARX, AUQ engines

058 906 283 F - £56.44,

(Description on box = Dump Valve)

Cut-off valve (DV) - AGU, AUM, ARX engines

06A 145 710 N - £22.69,

(Replaces 06A 145 710 and 06A 145 710 G)

I tried this with Millers diesel additive today and it seems to have made an improvement. The turbo no longer seems to loose boost at 2,200 RPM.

I put a double dose into 10 litres of diesel and took the car out for a spin. After a few minutes the car went into limp home mode. I assume this was when it got the first taste of the newly added diesel. I pulled over and stopped, restarted the car and continued on. I gave it a good thrashing when the engine warmed up and it pulled like a train. The turbo has never worked better!

I hope this has solved my loss of boost issue but it still coughes and splutters when the engine is cold. One more little problem hopefully solved - loads more to go!

I tried this with Millers diesel additive today and it seems to have made an improvement. The turbo no longer seems to loose boost at 2,200 RPM.

I put a double dose into 10 litres of diesel and took the car out for a spin. After a few minutes the car went into limp home mode. I assume this was when it got the first taste of the newly added diesel. I pulled over and stopped, restarted the car and continued on. I gave it a good thrashing when the engine warmed up and it pulled like a train. The turbo has never worked better!

I hope this has solved my loss of boost issue but it still coughes and splutters when the engine is cold. One more little problem hopefully solved - loads more to go!

Millers Dieselsport 4 does contain more cetane, so with a double dose in 10 litres you maybe noticing the benefit of a better burning fuel at the moment.

I use to run V-Power Diesel with a double dose of Millers DS4 and it didn't half get a kick up the backside then. But then again it did have a pretty aggresive map i wasn't aware of.

I would be interested to see what the results are like after a few tanks of normal diesel though. As i've still to do the cage mod and replace my leaky EGR valve, and if these dont cure the running problems im experiencing at the moment then a rather potent dose of diesel treatment may just be what the doctor ordered.

then a rather potent dose of diesel treatment may just be what the doctor ordered.

I have just seriously OD mine on Redex diesel injector cleaner and wow that sorted it out good and proper :rofl: very smooth,responsive and no flat spots and pulls like hell now.Give it a go :thumbup:

• 5 years later...

I have the turbo 2ltr and have loss of power roundabout 3 gear push my foot down nothing lift my foot off and press again and it is ok ? till the next time ??

can anyone help cheers martin ps it is a 2007 scout