Honeymoon period over?

I tried to buy a new FL Octavia last year when it was first launched. I desperately wanted an 1.4Tsi Elegance with DSG, but Dealer wanted almost list price (£16500+ IIRC) even though no part ex and cash and a customer of many years.

No deal Jose.

I'm glad I didnt buy then and decided to wait till post scrappage when I reckon they'll welcome me with open arms.

But since then my thoughts have mellowed:-

1. DSG - long term liability, extra servicing cost, potential of getting a lemon.

then later

2. Price of fuel/tax etc is swerving me toward 1.6CR - but do I really want a cambelt, DMF and DPF as well as unknown reliabilty/longevity?

then later

3. I think I would be better off with an estate.

then today

I saw several MkII FL silver estates - a lot of them were taxis - but all of a sudden looking at the the front end of these Octavias, I started to think - "these are pretty ugly!"

Maybe it was the miserable weather?

I've never bought a car I didn't tire of very quickly. Sometimes even before I've picked it up!

I find if I have time to mull a car over in my mind, then I will go off the idea. I must have "bought" hundreds of cars this way. :smirk:

That said I bought my Octavia after a lot of thought and seven months later I'm still happy.

I think you are over thinking it - just buy and get on with the process of regret :rofl:

2. Price of fuel/tax etc is swerving me toward 1.6CR - but do I really want a cambelt, DMF and DPF as well as unknown reliabilty/longevity?

Does the 2.0 CR TDI have a cam belt or chain driven cams ?

I saw several MkII FL silver estates - a lot of them were taxis - but all of a sudden looking at the the front end of these Octavias, I started to think - "these are pretty ugly!"

I don't think many of the 'German inspired' 3 box cars of this size look that good, but at least they don't look as bad as some of the 'fashion fad' 'designer' models that are the alternative. I think the FL was a definite attempt to put a 'smiley face' on it compared to the pre-FL but it's made the grille look a bit too American, who seem to like all cars to look like a cut down Mack truck. What is it with USA-ans and trucks anyway? I know the Octy is pretty retro-looking but the mechanics are up to date. The US SUV pickup trucks have V8 engines and some ICE inside Ford model-T running gear.

The extended cab versions are the worse. The cab is cramped even for kids, but the space it uses reduces the flatback area to virtually useless dimensions. Virtually any other vehicle is more useful than one of those.

I dont think Silver suits the facelift very well, look at other colours like metallic red, dark blue etc. and it looks far better.

That's not what I want to hear when I have just ordered FL in silver!

Generally I like silver, especially silver estates, but I hate the Skoda silver. To my eyes it's dull and seems to age really poorly. I'm quite liking my cappuccino beige as it's one of those colours that looks different in different light, so it's like you have 2 or 3 different colours depending on the conditions (I bet that makes no sense at all). Under showroom lights it actually looks like silver.

Generally I like silver, especially silver estates, but I hate the Skoda silver. To my eyes it's dull and seems to age really poorly. I'm quite liking my cappuccino beige as it's one of those colours that looks different in different light, so it's like you have 2 or 3 different colours depending on the conditions (I bet that makes no sense at all). Under showroom lights it actually looks like silver.

It's just the name, I mean "beige"?

I was ordering my Octy (last of the pre FL models) last December and they offered me a choice of black or beige but didn't have any beige to show me in the metal so I went straight for the black. Now I've seen the beige I quite like it. Not sure about the FL look though.

I'm quite liking my cappuccino beige as it's one of those colours that looks different in different light, so it's like you have 2 or 3 different colours…

I remember a Rover 800 we had actually did have 3 or 4 different colours of grey on it, from new.

I LOVE my silver FL vRS! B) It has actually started to look better as time has progressed since I bought it. My last vRS was a race blue Octy and whilst it suited the old shape down to a tee, I think that it looks a bit childish on the FL - a view I've still got as I see more pics of race blue FLs.

PS Not ready for a beige car until I'm at LEAST 70...;)

Edited by NewbieVRS

I like the the facelift shape on the front, one of the reasons I decided to for an Octavia.

It looks more distinctive and bolder and modern, I thought the pre FL front very plain and angular.

So its a emoticon-0148-yes.gif from me for the the FL

It's just the name, I mean "beige"?

I was ordering my Octy (last of the pre FL models) last December and they offered me a choice of black or beige but didn't have any beige to show me in the metal so I went straight for the black. Now I've seen the beige I quite like it. Not sure about the FL look though.

I know what you mean. Beige was SWMBO's choice - my initial reaction was "oh no, it's a brown Skoda!"

I saw a beige octy in the showroom, and under the lighting I honestly thought it was silver. It was only looking at it closely and comparing it to another car next to it that actually was silver could I tell the difference. Then the salesman showed us some beige models outside around back waiting for their PDI where again it looks completely different. Overall I think it suits an estate well although I definitely wouldn't choose it on a hatch.

I like the silver finish, but I think the retro-styling of the FL was a mistake. The pre-FL looks like its 'newer' than the FL. Retro-style doesn't look too bad on the more staid comfort-biassed models but doesn't suit a sporty model like the vRS. Skoda seem locked into retro-stylining since the introduction of the Fabia II. My wife has one and we like everything about it apart from the somewhat old-fashioned look. Would have been better if it had looked more like the Suzuki Swift, i.e. clean and modern lines.

Edited by Hauptmann

The way I see is is that up until Fabia II, Superb II and Octavia FL Skoda were establishing the quality side of their brand.

With these models they are establishing a house look / style.

Maybe it was the miserable weather?

No, it wasn't.....in my opinion as well the pre FL looks so much more elegant than the interchangeable FL-model....I really don't like the facelift-face as well....the only thing that really improved with them is the interior.

To be honest... the only FL's I've looked at is the vRS which looks superb, and a 1.4 poverty spec, which looked hideous and had tiny wheels.

Mine is Capuccino and it does look different in different lights - anything from pale gold in bright sunlight to dull brownish grey in this weather.

It is okay but I preferred my last one - Sahara. Much more gold and less grey in it.

However, the car itself is very hard to fault. I hope I can get the same when I trade it on, hopefully not for nearly 2 years yet.

And I hope that by then I still feel the same about it !!!