MR2 or MX-5

andy2407

MR2 of MX5?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. MR2 of MX5?

• MR2
    • MX5

Following my previous weekend car thread (http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/149388-recommend-a-weekend-car-4k-budget/) I've now narrowed down the options (not unsurprisingly) to a Toyota MR2 or a Mazxda MX-5 (1.8l).

I've test driven both and certainly from a "comfort / getting in and out / headroom / legroom" point of view both are fine.

I'm not sure whether I'm ever going to get a true impression of out and out handling ability on a short test drive but I think both perform well. I'm much more used to diesel power and front wheel drive so it will no doubt take time for my driving style to adjust anyway.

I've got a few examples of each to look at over the weekend, and the final choice will to some extent come down to budget and how keen various garages are to do a deal - but I'd be interested in your opinions on the two options.

mx-5 as a boot if you are planning on using it for a few days away, we managed luggage for a fortnight in one. And yes you have to get used to revving the nuts off it compared to the Fabia :)

Never driven an mr2, don't think I would fit tbh, but managed 18 hours and 800 miles in one stint and could still walk afterwards with the mx-5

Both cars have the reputation that they are driven by "hairdressers". However the Mazda is a 'drivers car' and probably the car with the best handling.

I personally would buy a Mk2 version of it as I think the Mk3 versions of both cars are ugly.

mx-5 as a boot if you are planning on using it for a few days away, we managed luggage for a fortnight in one. And yes you have to get used to revving the nuts off it compared to the Fabia :)

Never driven an mr2, don't think I would fit tbh, but managed 18 hours and 800 miles in one stint and could still walk afterwards with the mx-5

Funny enough, the MR2's have boots too! I have never driven a MX-5, however managed several hours and not far off 800 miles in it, and was perfectly fine after, infact its more comfy than my Ibiza thats for sure.

Cant see how someone could fit in a MX-5 but not a MR2 however?!

Both cars have the reputation that they are driven by "hairdressers". However the Mazda is a 'drivers car' and probably the car with the best handling.

I personally would buy a Mk2 version of it as I think the Mk3 versions of both cars are ugly.

Funny as ive always heard the stigma about the MX-5 being a hairdresser car but never a old school MR2, I guess if you mean the MK3 then yes, because they all come with the 1.8 engine N.A roadster.

However I have never heard say the MR2 Rev5 Turbo being classed as a hairdressers car!

I would say if you have test driven both, what models did you test? As I am sure much like driving the 1.9SDI Octy MK1 against the vRS, or a 1.2 3 pot Fabia MK1 against the vRS versions, there are abit of difference.

For me mate, its a simple question that needs answer

Which one is retro and has pop up head lights? That one got my vote ;)

Funny enough, the MR2's have boots too! I have never driven a MX-5, however managed several hours and not far off 800 miles in it, and was perfectly fine after, infact its more comfy than my Ibiza thats for sure.

Funny as ive always heard the stigma about the MX-5 being a hairdresser car but never a old school MR2, I guess if you mean the MK3 then yes, because they all come with the 1.8 engine N.A roadster.

However I have never heard say the MR2 Rev5 Turbo being classed as a hairdressers car!

I would say if you have test driven both, what models did you test? As I am sure much like driving the 1.9SDI Octy MK1 against the vRS, or a 1.2 3 pot Fabia MK1 against the vRS versions, there are abit of difference.

For me mate, its a simple question that needs answer

Which one is retro and has pop up head lights? That one got my vote ;)

MX5 Mk3 also comes in 2.0l

OK - just to clarify I'm looking at the MR2 Roadster 2000 (aka Mk 3 version?) or the MX-5 2000 - 2003 (aka Mk 2.5 version?).

Both with 1.8l engines.

MR2.jpg

or

MX5.jpg

So no pop up headlights in either case sorry.

You know what i'm gonna say mate , the mazda styling appeals more than the toyota and the engine access bugs me , taken that the mx is the most popular roadster ever there is a very good reason for that.

I've seen a couple of MR2s round here lately and they looked quite smart - for that kind of car. The design is wearing better than the Mazda I think and with a nice set of wheels on, they don't look quite as girlie. I also remember reading a copy of Evo mag quite a while ago and they featured a turbo conversion. It handled well as you'd expect, but went well too.

My view has been added :)

If your going to get a MX5 - its worth looking at imports, they wont be as rusty and will have more toys... apparently the mk2s have more of a rep for rust than the mk1 does because its made with thinner metal (when ford took over)

Im lovin mine.. and i dont know why!

The MK3 MR2 is only a 1.8, I didnt mean the MX5!

OK, so yeah your looking at the girly MR2, fair enough.

Id still personally get a later MK2 Turbo MR2 myself..... faster, looks better, pop up head lights... its got it all :)

If you count 2 spaces behind the seats and a place for a clean shirt under the bonnet then yes the MR2 does have a boot. As for fitting, the MK3 MX-5 as height adjustable seats and steering wheel, it is the only small covertable in this price bracket that I have found to offer enough head and leg room.

Andy have you thought about a BMW Z3, ok not as tough looking as a Z4 but far better looking than anything Japanese for the same money. You would be in good 2.8 teritory with your budget and the build quality is light years ahead of the MX or MR. Just think - 200 hp, bags of torque, silky 6 cylinder vanos power and lots of sideways action on the throttle. I did vote for the MR2 if you're going Japanese.

Wow neck and neck, I love ChrisGBs little MR2 and would love one myself but am a big fan of the MX5 too and it''s more practical as an everyday car due to boot. It is a bit effeminate though in my opinion. Think the MR2 would just edge it mut it would have to be a toy. However if I wanted a toy I would get an early model Elise: It's a tricky one.

The MX5 if you really must :thumbup: It's a classic design, with a great chassis and superb handling.

What about a Fiat Coupé Turbo though? If you can get over the fact that they welded a fifth cylinder on a four-pot engine, they're great fun. And bloody fast too with a remap ;)

Look at this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201004351210234

Edited by Jigger72

What about a Fiat Coupé Turbo though? If you can get over the fact that they welded a fifth cylinder on a four-pot engine, they're great fun. And bloody fast too with a remap ;)

Check out the service costs first though - some models can be horrendous :o