I'm Struggling ......

MrRee

MrRee, I've read the whole thread and your heart isn't in it. I don't think you are a badge snob but I'm wondering are you a Subaru snob??? Fact is, there is nothing other than an EVO that will challenge you on the road, but if you need to move on, you need to move on - deal with it!!!

Quite. Hopefully end of thread as well.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolla - wise words, thank you. After 10 years with Subaru I guess you are right - it becomes part of you, especially as it has been faultless.

As said before ... Badge isn't an issue, although I do recognise that Subaru Impreza's are the stuff of folklore.

Looked over an Insignia today .... very, very nice - VXR is an option (but are £24k) ... did anyone look at the VXR's before buying the vRS?

At 24k no i wouldn't conside paying that,think i would rather go get a bmw 3 series,or an EVO......

The VXR is quite a machine ... but, even at a discounted £24,000 you're right it's a lot - probably too much for a Vauxhall.

The FL looks less like a Taxi Cab than the previous versions, I agree.

I think I may have come full circle back to a Subaru ..... I'll just have to shoot the dog I guess?? :giggle:

The VXR is quite a machine ... but, even at a discounted £24,000 you're right it's a lot - probably too much for a Vauxhall.

True

The FL looks less like a Taxi Cab than the previous versions, I agree.

Crap

I think I may have come full circle back to a Subaru ..... I'll just have to shoot the dog I guess?? :giggle:

What a waste of a thread :rofl:

Not a waste of a thread at all ....it allowed me to explore the possibility of a Skoda.

Reading about all the problems Octavias have, even when new, on these pages, worries me somewhat ...... :doh:

To the poster above indicating a vRS can hold it's own against a WRX ....

I assume you mean in a straight line, if so, yes - maybe it can hang on to the Impreza's tailpipes for a good while.

But throw in a corner or two - like real world driving - and, I'm afraid the Impreza has gone ...... I know I am talking to lovers of the Octavia vRS - but, seriously, there are very few cars that can live with an Impreza in full flight on the twisty roads of the world. Evo's possibly, Octavia's? Never, sorry.

iam sorry to dissapoint you on this one,the impreza is one of the best cars though the corners but iam sorry to say it couldnt pull the socks of a dead man,the fuel compsumption is dreadful,yes mate sorry ive owned an sti and i couldnt live with it,my wife had an astra vxr which we have now had four of,anyhow back to the point ive just bought the vrs in the derv form and its spot on,granted not as quick as the vxr or the sti but does over 40mpg and its brand new and this will get better,its better built than the pair of them and the ride is spot on,everyone to there own on this one pal but it ticked all the boxes for me,by any chance you just joined vxr-online as ive seen a post like this on there aswell

Skoda_Octavia_Akko_taxi_6727.JPG

2009-mazda-mazda6-s-grand-touring-pic-20740.jpeg

The 'settings' of those two photos and the spec of the cars are completely different (Octavia totally standard and Mazda top spec), haha. You really can't use those two photos side by side as a comparison...

If you don't like the look of the Octavia that's fair enough, but I think the MK2 shape looks a bit better than the newest one (and loads nicer than the MK1) and as you said, you can't deny it's amazing value for money...

skoda1.jpg

skoda2.jpg

On an aside, anyone else think that certain cars look better in certain colours?

Edited by AdamR

I went from Scoob to Skoda & the biggest change I noticed was in my bank balance, I saved a small fortune

How big a car do you need ??

My Wife has got an Abarth 500, truly stunning car & Im sorry to say an absolute rocket on twistie roads & as for depreciation, hardly any. If you arent stuck with needing to drag the kitchen sink around try one.

We did a rally round europe in it last year, 3500 miles in 9 days, 2 peoples kit, spare wheel etc etc & no problems, also ****ed off a few of the quick guys on the twisties, they really are that good.

At the end of it the Octy is stonking value for monwy, reliable & fun to own

AdamR - yes I agree it looks better in certain colours (dark metallics for example) but I also think the estate looks significantly better than the hatch - not sure why but it just does to me (but then I've always had a thing about Shooting Brakes).

Looked over an Insignia today .... very, very nice - VXR is an option (but are £24k) ... did anyone look at the VXR's before buying the vRS?

err. 24k? when I was looking i spec'd up an insignia vxr wagon to same level as my vrs - came in a smidge over £36k! We paid just over 18k for my vrs incl options.

Vxr's definitely a quicker car than the vrs, but not by much (5.9 vs. 7-ish to sixty) and certainly not worth double :wonder:

err. 24k? when I was looking i spec'd up an insignia vxr wagon to same level as my vrs - came in a smidge over £36k! We paid just over 18k for my vrs incl options.

Vxr's definitely a quicker car than the vrs, but not by much (5.9 vs. 7-ish to sixty) and certainly not worth double :wonder:

And if you pay list price on a Vauxhall the dealer will be laughing about you for years to come... I doubt if you'd get it down to 24K from there, but I would have thought under 30K should be doable...

I would never buy a car that I had any doubts about.

You need to want a Skoda, and all that goes with it.

Yes, the ill informed will take the p!ss, but not when

they have had a ride in it.

I am on my third Skoda, and so is the wife. We do not need

to drive a cheap car, we just love them and all that they come with :)

If I had the space I would have a 911 of Z4 as a weekend car, but I

make do with a 1250 Bandit.

My vRS will do over 40 MPG when I want it to, but if I wanted economy

I would have bought a diesel.

I doubt if a Skoda will suit your needs, and we will not hold it against you.

I hope that at the end of the day you get what you desire. All the best with the search :)

And if you pay list price on a Vauxhall the dealer will be laughing about you for years to come... I doubt if you'd get it down to 24K from there, but I would have thought under 30K should be doable...

Yep, don't disagree. BUT even at sub 30k you're still at least 10k more than a vrs for something that is only a little faster with worse mpg.

I dont get this Subaru thing, Iv been in a mates Imprezza, the dash rattled from the cheap nasty finish and I wasnt Imprezzed..

Been in another mates Forester, one of the worst cars Iv been in, horrible!

The mate who had the Imprezza has now come over to the german side on my advice and has the VW Toureg which he loves, he`s been in my Scout and likes that, sometimes you have to just have a look at other makes and models because people become blinkered.

I dont get this Subaru thing, Iv been in a mates Imprezza, the dash rattled from the cheap nasty finish and I wasnt Imprezzed..

Been in another mates Forester, one of the worst cars Iv been in, horrible!

The mate who had the Imprezza has now come over to the german side on my advice and has the VW Toureg which he loves, he`s been in my Scout and likes that, sometimes you have to just have a look at other makes and models because people become blinkered.

Amazes me how many on here have come from a scoob to a vrs,well more than i thought if any..You got to have that subaru bug,Some will own and keep,and some will own then move on after a year or so,i never complained about running costs of my sti because that's the nature of the car..Overall though im well pleased with the octy,i think the VAG range are good cars,a re map is starting to niggle at me now though B)

I am looking to replace my Subaru Impreza Turbo.

Looked at many options, from Astra VXR, Mazda 3MPS, Focus ST, Focus RS, and of course Octavia.

Without doubt, the Octavia vRS Petrol Manual at £15,200 is by far the best value - for 200 BHP it's difficult to beat - on paper.

Went back to the Skoda garage - trying my best (and desperately wanting) to like the look of the vRS Octavia.

Now, maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like a Taxi Cab (to my eyes) from almost all angles .... I really want to want one!!!

I can tell you now, if it looked like a Mazda6 I would have put a deposit down in an instant ..... the Subaru Impreza is no looker, granted, but somehow it looks so much better?

Can you help convince me that I would look back with pride when I leave it somewhere? Or, maybe, the boring looks is part of its charm? A bog standard looking car which has a turn of speed?

In my oppinion, the Octavia VRS is an almost faultless car.

I say almost, because the only "fault" I can think might put someone off is the lack of badge and dowdy looks.

Personally, I like that - I love the fact it takes people by surprise and isn't in the BMW **** club. It also means there are pleanty of second hand ones about (like mine) that haven't been abused and crashed.

But it sounds like it might really be a problem for you, so in which case get something else - there are plenty to choose from!

Of the others you suggested, I'd go for the Focus ST or RS. The MPS is too rowdy, and the VXR is... well it's a Vauxhall.

Don't forget, there's also the maximum smiles-per-mile thrash-fest that is the Civic Type-R, or of course the Megane 225 Renaultsport if you fancy gambling on French reliability.

And what about a sporty Audi A3 (is it the S-Line that has the 200bhp TSI?), Golf GTI or Seat Leon Cupra - all closely related to the Octavia but with less 'taxi'.

32k for a Mondeo?! I think Ford are similair to Vauhall in that, no-one pays anywhere near list price. It's a nice car for 22k but that's still 5k+ more than a vRS.

I can't fault Skoda for the price at all, I spec'd a similar Golf to my vRS and it was 7.5k more, no worth it IMO.

I think you have to own one to appreciate one, I traded down from Audi and really havent looked back once. The bank balance is also more healthy as a result!

Edited by Keith Lard

Hi i agree that the scooby is awsome in the twisty bits but everyone knows that, it is good in a straight line too. I am Mr average joe who just needs to go from A to B but this does not mean that i don't like to have the occasional play though. I have an octy estate and for my money it is a far better looking beast than the hatch. If your new car is the right colour, race blue seems to look the best but white can look good too, get 18" rims on it, the look will be better. The vrs is a stealth car, not many people know that the octy has 200bhp, or 170 in diesel form (my choice). The diesel vrs will be a revalation try this one, even if you are a petrol fanatic just try the diesel, i tried one and was blown away but then i was made redundant so the new car wasn't ordered and i bought a 2006 105bhp elegance, not quite the same but that's all i could afford at the time. Your indecision is understandable, you are going from an iconic car to a more run of the mill car, but.......people who know cars rate the brand and there are always things that you can do to make the car your own... try looking at this site http://www.superskoda.com, for little money the looks that you worry about can be transformed. First things first get a test drive try both petrol and diesel then once you have tried it then you can decide, even try lower models after all all that will be different is the outright power and ultimate handling but a drive in a lower spec, say 1.8tsi or the 140bhp diesel will give you an idea, you may like the driving position you may not, if you cannot get comfortable then the car is out problem solved..... The other cars that have been previously mentioned are faster more "look at me nick me" the vxr is a good car but it is after all a vauxhall so pay £30k today and get what £10 in 2/3 years time....Pay £15500 for an octy now and in 3 years time it would be worth around £8k, there was 2006 petrol octy estate in Witney that was up for £9990 at the local dealers, you pays your money and take your chances. Try a skoda you will not be disappointed the space is staggering the reliability is second to none, JD power agrees. Hope this helps