F1 2010

KenONeill

I’ll be checking out the Friday practise sessions. They are usually on the BBC red button service and have the excellent Radio 5 commentary over it.

Don’t forget to get your ‘Live Timing’ from the official F1 site. You know you want those ‘purple’ sector times on your laptop as you watch your telly :D

Looking forward to this season, Button and Hamilton with Schumacher in the mix, Alonso could be one to watch too.

All broadcast in not so glorious standard def' again, really had high hopes it would be in HD this season :doh:

I've seen better GP's, it all seemed a bit static.

Not a huge fan of the 55m pit 'clearzone' part of the fun of the pits is the jostle for position, and I can see it becoming a tactical maneuver this season to almost lock someone in their box.

HD will be from next year according to Jake Humphrey the other day.

I am hoping for lots of wet racing this season :thumbup:

So... What did everyone think?

Absolutely dire - processional, and the only overtaking incident I saw was for 16th/17th place - things can only get better :S

Roll on Moto GP :)

one word, Dull. it was interesting how the different cars reacted to the varying fuel loads thru' the race but that's about it :yawn:

not one to brag but i have the choice of two separate HD channels to watch it on, the US Speed channel or Canadian TSN which picks up the BBC feed :thumbup::)

Mark

not one to brag but i have the choice of two separate HD channels to watch it on, the US Speed channel or Canadian TSN which picks up the BBC feed :thumbup::)

Nice - but as the saying goes - "You can't polish a turd" :rofl:

No matter how clear the picture, it wouldn't have made that race any better :S

Nice - but as the saying goes - "You can't polish a turd" :rofl:

No matter how clear the picture, it wouldn't have made that race any better :S

Very true! :rofl:

Mark

I was all excited after watching qualifying then my PVR didn't record the race :( So I installed identity cloaker to watch it on Iplayer, and wow what a dull first race of the season. Hopefully the next ones will be more exciting.

I've seen better GP's, it all seemed a bit static.

Not a huge fan of the 55m pit 'clearzone' part of the fun of the pits is the jostle for position, and I can see it becoming a tactical maneuver this season to almost lock someone in their box.

So how are you proposing to keep a moving car within 55m of a rival's pitbox at all times then?

I dont propose to keep them 55m apart at all, let them tustle it out, if it is 'safe enough' then release them, if its not then hold them.

I understand this has been done to remove the grey area I have just proposed but thats what fighting for position is all about, and the new decision panel of ex drivers are more than competent enough to decide otherwise.

The typical stopping distance for an average motorist in an average car at 60mph is 73m comprising of 18m of thinking distance and 55m of braking distance, I think these guys are more than capable of out thinking the typical driver and the cars will certainly outstop them.

EDIT: Just re-read your Q, I see its about the tactical bit.

You and I are lapping at exactly the same rate, you are infront and I am up your arse but cant get past, you need to go in for tyres, and I was planning to get them in 3 laps, but my engineers see yours getting ready so follow suit and bring me in on the same lap.

Assuming you and I were in pitboxes 40m apart, I was behind you as we came in but only by fractions of a second so essentially nose to tail, I get to my box first, you still have 40m to drive up the pit to get to yours, thats 1.49 seconds at 60mph, we both do 4 second stops bang on, but I finish 1.49 seconds ahead of you I come out into the pit lane and instantly you are locked into your box until I get by.

Maybe I wasnt needing tyres at that time, but if the crew are sharp enough it could be a great opportunity to gain a place simply because of the 55m clearzone.

So dull.

The Redbulls should have advantage most of the season, just a shame Vettel had issues.

I get why it's been done - it was all about tactics rather than driving. But this is now simply any other formula out there rather than F1 "the pinnacle of motorsport & technology"

That was one of the biggest let downs in F1 seasons in many years imho. All the hype and expectation and then a bunch of seriously ugly kit cars went round in circles for nearly 2 hours……rubbish. I would rather watch Bendy Bus racing (is there such a thing?)emoticon-0149-no.gif

That was one of the biggest let downs in F1 seasons in many years imho. All the hype and expectation and then a bunch of seriously ugly kit cars went round in circles for nearly 2 hours……rubbish. I would rather watch Bendy Bus racing (is there such a thing?)emoticon-0149-no.gif

I think I'll be cheering on Dario Franchitti in Indy cars this year - far more interesting than F1, and on at a sensible time of night too :thumbup:

Oh, and are you the real Lady E or Lady P in disguise ? :rofl:

• Administrators

Fantastic season. A huge improvement over the previous years.

Personally I saw a good 20 lap improvement on previous seasons. I can normally make it to the first pit stops. Sunday I awoke to a totally different program so thumbs up for me, best kip I've had in years and didn't see a pit stop, or the start, at least I don't recall the start.

Was the last lap the the warm down/up lap or the other way around I forget now!

Fantastic season. A huge improvement over the previous years.

Personally I saw a good 20 lap improvement on previous seasons. I can normally make it to the first pit stops. Sunday I awoke to a totally different program so thumbs up for me, best kip I've had in years and didn't see a pit stop, or the start, at least I don't recall the start.

Was the last lap the the warm down/up lap or the other way around I forget now!

I'm not sure what you're Colin, but can I have some ? :giggle:

Couldn't agree with you more :yawn:

Lady Penelope

far more excitement... :yes:

http://www.topgear.com/au/videos/bus-racing-outtakes?VideoBrowserMode=categories&VideoCategory=OutTakes

Apparently there were 16 successful moves for position (not sure whether this includes after Vettel's engine went flat). Which is the second highest number ever at that track.

OTOH Schumi thinks it is impossible to overtake in these cars unless the man you're trying to overtake makes a mistake.