Panoramic Sunroof Or Not ?

redandwhitepauly

I had three replacement sunroofs on my new Tiguan in 16 months. The subframe kept cracking. I vowed I'd never have another.

However when I ordered my Yeti I felt I just couldn't bear to be without one. Manufacturer's warranties are great!

The insurance side was discussed at length on the Tiguan Forum and the consensus of opinion was if it was smashed it wouldn't be the windscreen / glass claim but a full claim. So you'd have to decide whether to lose your NCD or pay the replacement cost of approx £1400 (That was VW price last year.. Including subframe.)

Just got one on the wifes new L&K (and one on the Superb too!).

The important thing is, Park Assist and a sunroof must go together - open sunroof, select Park Assist, hands out of sunroof, allow car to park, watch pedestrians stare in amazement . . . .

Well worth the money.

Yes I have done that with in my L&K, it HAS to be done :)

GIven a choice i personally cannot see the point of both sunroof & AC.

In the Yeti i dont open the sunroof but I do slide the screen back to allow that extra light into the car & as it is kind enough to close itself overnight i dont have to worry about forgetting .

It did take me nearly 10 months to work out how quickly to press the button so it is one touch open, rather than having to hold the button.

I paid the £1000+ and while driving the tilt is of use, but the slide is not. You cannot drive over 20mph with it even at position 1, it's too noisy. The sunshade has been used more to entertain my grandson.

So IMHO it's not worth the extra cost. 

Edited by DonjSZ5

Don't get a choice to open or close with our Rapid Spaceback, it's a fixed glass roof :o  

Even the blinds are manual, so if you wish to close the rear one, you either stop and get out or hope you have a friendly passenger in the back   :D

Mind on the SE Sport its part of the standard spec, like with the Yeti L&K   B)

TP 

Got the panoramic roof on our Yeti Outdoor earlier this year, and have not regretted it for a minute.

The ambience it lends to the cabin alone (extra natural light etc..) makes it well worth the money alone imo. But couple that ability to open it right up on a late summer afternoon drove back from the beach - just awesome. We wouldn't be without it now.

• Like 1

Sadly I am now sunroof less. The interior of the car isn't that much darker but it used to be nice to be able to have some extra light but my passengers used to complain about being dazzled do I almost always closed the blind

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

For me its what it does for the feel and ambience of the interior (as already mentioned). The fact it actually opens is important to me also. In terms of resale - if theres two almost identicle Yeti's for sale; one with it and one without, which would you prefer? emoticon-0100-smile.gif

The one without - Too old and too much experience of sunroofs to take claims of reliability and watertightness with a pinch of salt. Add to that extra weight has been added exactly where you don't want it and the structure will be weakened - even if only slightly

Right now I am saying no thanks to a 2 year old Octavia Elegance which I would probably go for if it did not have a sun-roof.

• Like 1

I can only offer my experience of a panoramic roof on a previous Roomster.

It was fixed and did make the cabin much lighter and the lack of ability to open it didn't worry me at all as the aircon was very efficient.However, when it went in for it's first service the receptionist pointed out that it was cracked across the entire width! It was obviously NOT like this when I took delivery. I was told that they'd never had to claim for a panoramic roof and the cost would be £1500c.

They submitted a claim with photographs and fortunately SUK agreed it was faulty and covered the cost. I was told that SUK had told them to examine the glass for any chips and if there were any to charge me full price as it wouldn't be  manufacturing fault. This frightened me off glass roofs and I haven't really missed them in the two Yetis I've had since and I wouldn't order one again. If it was included in the spec of the car I wanted I'd go down a spec and then add what I wanted.

Fred

It also gave me sunburn on my forehead. :giggle:

Edited by g6zru

I own a 2010 Yeti with the panoramic sunroof and have mixed feelings about it.

1) It lets in a lot of light and adds a lot to the comfort inside the cabin, I'd go for a sunroof again because of this.

2) Being old-ish, I've had water ingress both in the boot and in driver's footwell due to leaky frame (not gutter hose fittings but the frame itself) and a lot of hassle removing and installing roof liner and all inside trim.

So, although I've become a master of Yeti inside roof trim removal and installing, I consider a leaky sunroof too much of a hassle. My Yeti was at the dealership for waterproofing (silicone caulking added all around the sunroof frame to seal joints and holes) and hasn't leaked water yet. Still, the amount of comfort you get...

I don't really know. My dad has a sunroof on his Yeti (2013) and it's a charm. Mine is older and prone to more faults. For more care-free motoring, I suggest leave the sunroof off.

-Henri

We have a 2013 Yeti with sunroof but wouldn't have it again. It does let more light into the cabin but our mushroom leather seats improve the interior as much at zero cost. I suspect the seats will be more reliable too! We have only had it open once  - to amuse the grandchildren! We've had multiple problems with leaks - initially because the front drain pipes were kinked during manufacture. It took some time to identify this and the dealer damaged the dash while rectifying this.

We're out of warranty now so hope it keeps working and doesn't leak again.

Mike

We have a 2013 Yeti with sunroof but wouldn't have it again. It does let more light into the cabin but our mushroom leather seats improve the interior as much at zero cost. I suspect the seats will be more reliable too! We have only had it open once  - to amuse the grandchildren! We've had multiple problems with leaks - initially because the front drain pipes were kinked during manufacture. It took some time to identify this and the dealer damaged the dash while rectifying this.

We're out of warranty now so hope it keeps working and doesn't leak again.

Mike

+1 MikeL .We had 1" of water in the passenger footwell.

It took the dealer days to dry out the interior.

I would certainly not pay for a sunroof.

So it appears that Skoda /vag have problems producing a vehicle with a sunroof that doesn't leak.well whenever I've bought a new car I've always speced a sunroof where available and have never had a leak problem but none of them were Skoda's . I do have the panoramic roof on the yeti and it's great I have to say with the added choices of tilt and half open as well as fully panoramic and to have all that added light when driving............but if I had leaks etc I might be of a different opinion but that wouldn't put me off a sunroof only off a Skoda.

Edited by Sad555

Last few posts sum it up. If you have never experienced a leaky sunroof you are probably a fan and can't see why folk might object to one. If you've ever experienced the misery of a leaky one you will take a long time to forget about it. For me 10 trouble free years of Saab roof did not cancel out 4 years of misery with a Ford sunroof. 

• Like 1

I have a 2016 L&K with a sunroof.

From comments here and elsewhere, sun roof drainage can be compromised by twisted tubes or strangulation by cable tie.

However, these problems do not appear universal.

Is there a simple way of checking the stable door before the horse bolts, as it were?

(prevention being better than cure)

Even with the black seats and dash etc. in my Yeti I find the interior pretty light so given the additional risk for problems I wouldn't have one.

In any case I have the ultimate sun roof! :sun:

Not that it's being given much use this year, again. :devil:

Edited by VAGCF