Bolero + MDI pictures

Sorry.. Too much hassle. Let's just put it down to the Bolero being the biggest pile of

800px-Cowpat.jpg

going. Cheap & nasty, in 18 months time when it comes to change over time for this car, having a Bolero in it may just make me change brands.

Sorry.. Too much hassle. Let's just put it down to the Bolero being the biggest pile of

800px-Cowpat.jpg

going. Cheap & nasty, in 18 months time when it comes to change over time for this car, having a Bolero in it may just make me change brands.

Change brand of car for the sake of a head unit?

That's rubbish

No, not rubbish at all. It's a good way to get the message across. It'll be a £18k or whatever penalty then. I never had this problem with the VW I had before, it worked perfectly.

If I pay £18k for a car I expect everything to work properly & that INCLUDES the bloody music system for which I paid an extra £180 for an MDI which clearly doesn't work properly unless you have an Ipod.

Edited by Evening Star

Sorry.. Too much hassle.

Calm down Warren. B)

I can see where you're coming from as not only would you have to create the playlists but would also have to put the tracks into a 'proper' filing system as well as needing to use something like Tag & Rename to initially provide them with the correct information. That's three steps that you'd need to do to ensure a speedy and consistent outcome.

Then again, why bother when you can have another 18 months of unorganised files before you change your car? :|

No, not rubbish at all. It's a good way to get the message across. It'll be a £18k or whatever penalty then. I never had this problem with the VW I had before, it worked perfectly.

If I pay £18k for a car I expect everything to work properly & that INCLUDES the bloody music system for which I paid an extra £180 for an MDI which clearly doesn't work properly unless you have an Ipod.

To be fair, VW now uses the Bolero too just under a different name, and having tested my SD card in a mates Golf, it has exactly the same issues, so not only will you have to change from Skoda, you can't use VW either...

I agree with you, it is annoying, but I have learned to live with the single mp3 in the root directory and hitting mix whilst it's playing. Can't even be bothered with the playlist thing to speed the initial read up, as that would require rewriting every time I changed the contents of the card...

Sorry been busy not sure if this video helps with how the ipod connection helps at all sorry for the music

This vid shows the iPod integration pretty well. The only thing I'd add is that you can scroll through the lists faster by holding the square on the scrollbar or pressing further down the scrollbar to get it to jump to that location. If you have a Maxidot fitted you can see the track name, artist and album on it. If you have a multi function steering wheel you can skip forward and back between tracks and fast forward/rewind within a track too. Unfortunately you can't select new tracks from the steering wheel/maxidot.

Since getting my Octavia in December I've used the iPod with MDI 95% of the time. I used to listen to 5 Live but have switched to listening to podcasts and music from the iPod.

Calm down Warren. B)

I can see where you're coming from as not only would you have to create the playlists but would also have to put the tracks into a 'proper' filing system as well as needing to use something like Tag & Rename to initially provide them with the correct information. That's three steps that you'd need to do to ensure a speedy and consistent outcome.

Then again, why bother when you can have another 18 months of unorganised files before you change your car? :|

I've tried one of those Tag & Rename things and my music collection was FUBAR'd, luckily I'd backed it up on the USB HDD! I think once I've paid Ben @ shark for the BT module, I'll be buying a second Ipod.

Just making sure we cover all of the options.

BTW, john, latest price for 32Gb SDHC card is approx £65, for that you can get a 320 or 500Gb USB drive & MDI cable! ;)

Hard Drives can be connected to the Bolero?

Talk to me!

External hard disks are rediculously cheap..

Hard Drives can be connected to the Bolero?

Talk to me!

External hard disks are rediculously cheap..

If you have the MDI fitted to the Bolero, you can buy a USB adapter cable, similar to the iPod specific one, which can connect a USB hard disk or memory stick.

cant see why not, I was going to go down this route until I had a ipod bought for me. you have the option through MDI for Ipod, USB and mini USB.

Still thinking of getting a harddrive and leaving it in the car

Where can I buy a genuine skoda/VAG MDI interface to plug into my Bolero ?

Anyone know the part number please ? It's not that expensive.

I have the VCDS cable so should be able to code it ?

I was too late to add it to my factory order.

Don't forget to add whichever interface cable you require as well - about another £25.

I've just seen this on ebay that looks similar to what you're after. At least it'll give you a ball park idea of cost. :thumbup:

If i'd known I could have connected up a hard disk, I would have had the MDI ordered!

However, it isn't the end of the world :)

I'll get by with some SDHC's for now, and consider moving up to MDI + HD later on.

I think Mp3 CDS and SD cards are perfect for the user who uses their own ripped collections.

I think the iPod integration is only essential for those wanting to use their AAC collections. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the MDI. :)

I have the VCDS cable so should be able to code it ?

I was too late to add it to my factory order.

eBay is your friend!

When you've ordered the MDI for your car does the iPod cable come with it or do you have to order it separately?

Also - if you have to order it separately; has the dealer had it in stock or did you have to wait?

It doesn't come with it but won't take long for the dealer to get whichever one you want if it's not in stock.

.....and also if you can't tell the difference between 128KBPS and 320 you need your ears syringed!

I'm always willing to be proved wrong (and maybe get my ears syringed) so thought I'd prepare for the challenge and see if I can tell the difference between listening to 128k & 320k tracks in the noisy environment of a car. I've put the same tracks in both bitrates onto an SD card and will try them asap

Well, after remembering to put the SD card into the car, I've now had the chance to make a more informed opinion and it seems that I don't need my ears syringing as I can tell that there is marked difference between both bitrates.

In my meagre defence, I can only say that there's not too much difference between 320k tracks and VBR tracks so my gain audio wise wouldn't be that significant. The 320k track does have the advantage of showing track length etc whereas the VBR one doesn't though.

Conclusion:- I will forego the space saving and plump for less tracks with higher bitrate tracks in future.

You won't get me adding MDI though as the SD card (with playlist modifications) is the most convenient music transporter of choice ;)

has anybody actually posted any pictures yet? (apart from the ones of steaming piles of poo)

no but I did post a short video of the ipod feature in use. (see post number 49)

has anybody actually posted any pictures yet? (apart from the ones of steaming piles of poo)

At least you guys can get MDI on your Skodas. On a Yeti SUK still refuses to even offer it as an option even though RHD Yetis in Ireland has it as an option as does all the rest of the LHD world. :wonder:

Regarding pictures I found this on Apple's own website and shows the Columbus Sat nav unit (or whatever it is called in a VW) doing its iPod thing. I would imagine the Bolero's interface will look the same?

image4_20090630.jpg

image5_20090630.jpg

image6_20090630.jpg

image7_20090630.jpg

• 6 months later...

If I was to add an external harddrive to my new car when I get it, I already have ordered MDI. Do I have to format the harddrive any particualr way ie fat32 or ntfs. Do I then just fdrag and drop the music onto the harddrive or do I have to put them in individual folders or both. So many questions, sorry.