Android Apps

foo

God I really hate angry birds right now! ;)

Just thought this might be worth a mention folks.

This only really applies to people with root access btw.

I have been using a custom rom on my desire for a while and using A2SD (not the rubbish froyo one) with an EXT partition on the SD card but unfortunately this isn't enough as data is still stored on the phone itself and I got the dreaded low storage space message!

I have just succesfully altered the partition sizes of the phone to increase the size of the app storage as not all the storage for cache and system is needed. This is very simple as there aren't actually any physical partition on the phone but rather something on the phone during boot telling how much of the memory to use for which partition.

If anyone wants any more info on this or indeed just how to achieve root to be abel to do all sorts of fun stuff that you can't normally do then give me a shout I may be able to help you out.

Phil

God I really hate angry birds right now! ;)

Just thought this might be worth a mention folks.

This only really applies to people with root access btw.

I have been using a custom rom on my desire for a while and using A2SD (not the rubbish froyo one) with an EXT partition on the SD card but unfortunately this isn't enough as data is still stored on the phone itself and I got the dreaded low storage space message!

I have just succesfully altered the partition sizes of the phone to increase the size of the app storage as not all the storage for cache and system is needed. This is very simple as there aren't actually any physical partition on the phone but rather something on the phone during boot telling how much of the memory to use for which partition.

If anyone wants any more info on this or indeed just how to achieve root to be abel to do all sorts of fun stuff that you can't normally do then give me a shout I may be able to help you out.

Phil

Blimey you must have alot of stuff on your phone!... Which rom are you using?!.. im very happy with opendesire at the moment!.. presume you need s-off to alter the build.prop?

Yeh...I like to have a good selection of apps! lol

I am using Leedroid at the moment as it seems to be one of the few sense roms that will work with the custom partition sizes.

Yes you have to have s-off but you don't need to edit the build.prob it is done by flashing patch for recovery and then flashing one to patch boot. Pretty simple really thanks to the work of the devs!

Phil

had a browse through this forum the other day and decided to download angry birds, it should be called angry wife(i hope your not on that bloody game again) ive spent almost all of my spare time playing the game and can now say i have competed all the levels , i just need to go back through them again and find all the golden eggs. several times i have played this game till the baatery has died, very addictive.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally paid for an app :o

Documents to go, full version - after getting tired of slow/crappy free pdf viewers. Now I can also edit .doc files (even .ppt files :giggle: )

Seems as files written in macPages and saved as .doc won't open, though :(

New facebook update is out...

Also at the Facebook announcement todayHERE they announced that android will now be brought in line with the piephone for the app updates

Just downloaded!

Finally dont have to be linked to the facebook web page and takes you directly to the notification in the app!

Glad to hear they're taking android seriously and supplying to the increasing demand. I think we will soon be seeing apple eating android dust! :giggle:

New facebook update is out...

Also at the Facebook announcement todayHERE they announced that android will now be brought in line with the piephone for the app updates

They say that, but the iPhone app was updated yesterday too and already there are new features the Android app does not have. :wonder:

But still, the update for Android is a huge improvement over the last version. Hopefully it gets brought in line with the iPhone app soon.

Who told me about Angry Birds? I've lost several hours of my life on that s*dding game...

If you use XBMC as your media centre then the XBMC remote is a nice tool, I can change music/movies etc from the phone without picking up the mouse or keyboard...

Who told me about Angry Birds? I've lost several hours of my life on that s*dding game...

My little one loves playing the "Exploding Chicken" game..

The only thing is - he's wiping the floor with my scores emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Defeated by a 5 yr old...

My little one loves playing the "Exploding Chicken" game..

The only thing is - he's wiping the floor with my scores emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Defeated by a 5 yr old...

They've released an update with 45 more levels on it, typical, it's only a few days since I completed the original download... thought I'd got my life back...

Cant find on market or google :(

You can get it from here too:

http://www.getjar.com/Angry-Birds

Although, based on the reviews of the update I've read so far, I won't be updating yet. Apparently they've changed the placement of the ads, it now appears to obstruct a lot more than it used to. Hopefully they'll bring out the ad-free version soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Been having a overhaul of my hero, updated it from 2.1 to 2.2 custom rom. few apps I've found:

(Rooted only)

LauncherPRO - custom home screen, everything is customisable, unfortunately i dont have time for that so i stuck with the 'custom original'..

Autokiller - limits the amount of bkground services running etc, puts items from ram to cpu essentially.

setcpu - skeptical on this, but basically it underclocks phone when not in use and can overclock when in use. saves battery life, skeptical as I've had to charge my phone 3 times in a day because I was playing with it for the whole day..... will let you know results. others says its promising.

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a overhaul of my hero, updated it from 2.1 to 2.2 custom rom. few apps I've found:

(Rooted only)

LauncherPRO - custom home screen, everything is customisable, unfortunately i dont have time for that so i stuck with the 'custom original'..

Autokiller - limits the amount of bkground services running etc, puts items from ram to cpu essentially.

setcpu - skeptical on this, but basically it underclocks phone when not in use and can overclock when in use. saves battery life, skeptical as I've had to charge my phone 3 times in a day because I was playing with it for the whole day..... will let you know results. others says its promising.

Few things...

LauncherPro - Awesome :)

Autokiller.... get rid - android is perfectly fine at managing its own resources.. by using a killer, all it really does is kill an app/service off and then it has to start up again chewing up more CPU/mem than required.

SetCpu - handy app BUT just leave it be unless your overclocking (its better just to use a custom kernel)