Intermittent Cruise Control Not Working

Hi Folks!

Just looking for ideas on this one, most of the time my cruise control works fine - then the odd occasion it will not come on at all?

Cheers

06 Vrs Estate

Tried cleaning the switch at all? Could be worth it. Though I have had this one mine on the odd occasion, well twice in a year 6 months.

Mine does this occasionaly. Switch the ignition off for a few seconds then restart and it will work again. Figure thats got to indicate an ECU probolem that needs a reset. Would annoy the hell out of me if it happened a lot but once every month or so I can live with.

Lee

The usual cause of cruise problems (both fixed and permanent) is the "cruise on/off switch" at the end of the wiper stalk. The ECU rarely if at all fails, and I have never seen a case of it on here. Basically the switch gets clogged up with dirt internally and fails to function, or functions intermittantly. The official dealer fix is to replace the whole indicator stalk, but it is possible to DIY fix the currently fitted switch without removing the stalk from the car. There is a guide on here somewhere on how to dismantle and clean the switch, should take less than 10 mins to sort and your cruise will be good as new. The reason switching the ign off/on again sometimes clears it is down to the fault being logged on the ecu during the first start, and clearing itself on the second. Eventually the failure will be permanent in all cases.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks!

Just looking for ideas on this one, most of the time my cruise control works fine - then the odd occasion it will not come on at all?

Cheers

06 Vrs Estate

On my car (Superb Greenline 1.9) I have reciently had a similar problem develop. It is intermittant, and appears to only happen in 5th gear.

For me, if I take it out og gear, and put it back in the problem goes away. I assume the problem is with one of the swiches that tesl the car it is in gear or with the switch on the clutch. (presumably needs adjusting following clutch wear, with 5th gear resulting in a microscopically different clutch position.???)

I'ts in for service with the stealers tomorrow, so they'll take a look

• 1 year later...

Had issues on my Nissan, transpired it was the switch on the clutch pedal, if it wont work try putting your foot under the clutch pedal & lifting it up a bit, that proved it on mine

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

My Skoda Octavia cruise control works Intermittently. when the problem appeared, restarting the car was solving it, now it's not! Any idea, please?

Thanks.

Possibly faults with

Brake light switch

Cruise control switch

Clutch switch

Wiring

Engine ECU

Steering column control unit

A test with VCDS would be a good start.

Possibly faults with

Brake light switch

Cruise control switch

Clutch switch

Wiring

Engine ECU

Steering column control unit

A test with VCDS would be a good start.

Thanks.

The diagnosis shows the problem in the indicator stalk and it was recommended to change it. Is there any chance to fix it without replacing it ? especially that it works sometimes!

• 1 year later...

Before you buy a new stalk check the wiring for the cruise control switch. 

I was welcomed to this when about to replace the switch:

Fixed the wire and working now! 

IMG-20180723-WA0056.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 23/07/2018 at 23:25, L354uge said:

Before you buy a new stalk check the wiring for the cruise control switch. 

I was welcomed to this when about to replace the switch:

Fixed the wire and working now! 

IMG-20180723-WA0056.jpeg

My problem was a broken wire too. This seems to be a quite possible problem: as the stalk moves it rubs the wires against a (seemingly) sharp plastic corner by the joint of the stalk. Atleast with my car (octavia rs 2.0 TSFI -06), I could fix the problem without taking the steering wheel out. The top part of the cover behind the wheel just lifted up by gently twisting with a flat head between the bottom and top halves. Bottom plastic cover was held with 3 torx screws, one beneath, two behind the wheel. The 2 came visible by turning the wheel after the top cover was lifted. After this i could pull gently one by one the wires to see if any of them were broken. I soldered the broken wire and put it back together. Positively suprised that i didnt need to pull the steering wheel off.

• 2 months later...

I have just been back to the garage again this morning with my intermittant fault (Superb mk2), as I have a long road trip to Spain in about 2 weeks time...

Garage plugged the car into fault code reader, cleared all the faults down (including steering column angle position?) and I left with it 'working.'

Went for a quick test on M1 and after 5 minutes, I changed gear and that was it, not coming back on. I drove back to the garage and as I pulled in it started to work again!

Checked on fault reader, no codes. Battery disconnected for 10 mins, reconnected no fault codes.  Garage don't want to send me to auto electrician, as there is nothing they can see to fix!?

Left with CC working and arrived home without it.

I'm so frustrated, should I just try taking apart the steering column and wheel and seeing if I can find a loose cable?

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken the steering wheel off and go to the other end of the cruise control stalk and cleaned that up. (Neither contacts on the stalk either outer end or column end were that dirty). I inspected and there were no obvious wire breaks or dry solder joints.

So I put everything back together and it worked for a couple of days, then went off again.

There is now a new fault showing- Steering Column Module, which is sort of good news as after months at this, at least I know the problem now!

These are £268 from Skoda and not much cheaper elsewhere and a 3 week wait. There is apparently a cable ribbon inside which cracks over time and I might try to repair/replace this in a few weeks time, when I don't have an imminent road trip. Has anyone tried this?

• 6 months later...

Update - Still not fixed and any ideas very, very welcome!

I bought a new Steering Column Module (clockspring) and took off the steering wheel, clockspring/module and stalk assembly.

Tthe stalk assembly got stripped down and I checked the wires and contacts and cleaned both ends of the cruise control switch (stalk end and steering column end) and put it back.

Then I stripped down the clockspring/module, checked and cleaned the ribbon, checked all wires and put that back. (I decided not to swap this out for the new one I bought as I thought I would need to reprogram this so instead I decided to check thoroughly first. Someone on here said the cruise control doesn't come through the clockspring - which seems to make sense).

Each time I disconnect the battery and reconnect after and then the cruise control works once on and once off but no more.  Another VCDS check shows no issues  and testing individually the brake , clutch and cruise control switches and all are working with no issues.

i am all out of ideas if anyone has any please?

Where is your brake pedal switch located? If it is above the pedal then it is a cheap and quick thing to change. I'd start with that. you say you've tested it but I had a similar problem a long time ago and when I was using Cruise Control if my foot so much as brushed the brake pedal it would cancel. Worth a shot?

As it failed again when you changed gear then it will be the clutch pedal switch secondary contacts.

14 hours ago, Golf-Fiend said:

Where is your brake pedal switch located? If it is above the pedal then it is a cheap and quick thing to change. I'd start with that. you say you've tested it but I had a similar problem a long time ago and when I was using Cruise Control if my foot so much as brushed the brake pedal it would cancel. Worth a shot?

I'm not sure ...I had a garage run a diagnostic test and forum member here run VCDS and both showed switches all OK. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I switch the cruise control off and on again at the stalk, touch brake or clutch, it doesn't come on again. A non VW diagnostic test showed a 'steering module' fault, but the VCDS didn't. I might have to start randomly swapping out parts and if I do will start here, but not sure about that just yet. Thanks again.

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

As it failed again when you changed gear then it will be the clutch pedal switch secondary contacts.

It fails on switch on stalk, brake and clutch, but all test OK when operated on VCDS and shown no faults.

I'm wondering if there is another all-powerful module I'm missing, which is the problem...? Thanks again.