Octavia 2 TDi Buying Advice needed.

Hello to you all,

I'm new on here and was hoping you could offer me some advice and help me make my mind up.

I've been looking to buy a new car as our current one, a petrol Seat Leon FR (Formula Racing? The facelifted Standard Cupra), isn't particularly suitable, as having a small child and all the "necessary equipment" that goes with them, the Leon just isn't big enough. Days out are ok, but anything longer and stuff has to be piled on seats etc and it's pretty limiting.

The Leon is a great car and since owning one I've really fallen in love with the VAG brand and as such would like to buy another one. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't share the same affection for the Leon. Being the FR, she finds the suspension far too hard and the fuel consumption too greedy, so I'm under strict instructions not to repeat "my mistake" So it's definately got to be diesel......... so I've been looking at Skoda Octavia 2's.

I've been looking at Elegance spec Octavia's. They seem to be the most plush for the money and I like to feel I'm driving something nice, unfortunately it's trying to find one that hasn't sold 30 seconds after the ad has come out! The Laurin and Klement one's look nice but are rarer still! Is the difference just leather seats? Are they worth the extra money?

I would love a diesel vRS. As I like a car to be responsive and a pleasure to drive. I've driven both Hatch and Estate Petrol versions and found them to be a very nice drive, but I've never driven a diesel one. How do they compare? tbh, the vRS diesels are quite a bit out of my budget, I could possibly stretch to one but then there's the extra insurance and I'm not sure the missus will like the "sporty ride", although I don't remember it being anywhere near as harsh as my Leon.......

I'm going to go for a PD engine, but which one? I like the sound of the tried and tested 1.9 with it's slightly better fuel economy and it's bullet proof reliability but they only appear to come in 105 Bhp versions? (I've seen one rare 130bhp in an estate but it had sold) I'm worried it might be a bit dull to drive compared with the Leon. The 2.0 looks tempting with 140 bhp but I've heard the early one's have got reliabilty issues? What are these issues exactly? and how common are they?

Finally, what body would you recommend? is there much practical "real world" difference between the hatch and the estate, as the floor space in the boot looks roughly the same? Is it just the extra bit above the window line that's the difference?

Sorry for the long post, but I daren't ask a salesmen advice......

Thanks.

Yes , the boot floor is the same in both versions - it's just a bit of extra space above it you get on the estate.

The PD140 has a bit of a habit of eating the turbo at 50k or less - not so common on the PD105. Several of the regulars will tell you that their turbo was fine , but it's a more common failure than should happen on a modern car. It's a nicer engine to have than the 1.9 (6 speed instead of 5) though you do get around 10% better economy on the smaller car.

The L&K has Leather and Xenons as standard over the elegance , and probably a couple of extra bits too.

Good luck finding something that doesn't get snapped up first :)

I've got some friends who have just exchanged a Subaru Forester for a Skoda 1.9 PD Estate and they love it. They have just acquired a second child so now have a 3 month old and 20 month old who seem to need vast amounts of equipment for the shortest journey. They are very impressed with the space available, the economy and the comfort.

I had two of the old 1.9 tdi estates and they were mega reliable but I don't know enough about the 1.9 PD to comment. I am on my second 2.0 PD, one hatch and one estate and I wouldn't go back to the hatch at all. The estate is much more practical than the hatch for my needs. I find the 20.PD engine to be gruff but willing and it has a lot of grunt from 2000- 3000 revs. I thought the hatch used to fly a bit but my Scout is a bit more sedate as it weighs a heck of a lot more. You could always have a little remap to up the power of the 105bhp available in the 1.9 Pd to about 130bhp - have a hunt around the threads there are plenty of posts about this.

I have a 140PD '54 plate that has been a joy from almost new (6 months old) to date and 90k miles. I found the 2.0pd by far superior to the 1.9pd. The only only money spent was regular servicing, tyres, cambelt & water pump. Watch out for cars approching 80k as this is the cambelt change point and with a service was the best part of a grand! Just in the process of upgrading to a VRS Estate as IMO the is no better car for the money.

Happy hunting - find a good one and you will not regret it.

Probably the most important thing to check when buying Elegance spec or above is whether that ABS ECU has been replaced......

Many people have been stung by this (including me). Its not cheap to repair, somewhere around £1200-1500 !

Its common across all Golf 5 platform cars and I'm not sure what the latest is on it from a "good will" aspect these days.

As for the 2.0 TDI, well I quite like mine, but it hasn't been problem free. Tandem pump failed at a cost of around £500 (dealer) then it

spent weeks in the dealer undergoing diagnosis to what turned out to be a crankshaft sensor.

Its going well now mind you and only spent so long in the garage due to no faults being logged on the ECU... guess the same could happen

yo any car.

I've had a 2.0 TDI Elegance estate since my daughter arrived in 2007, and it's not missed a beat in 27k miles.

It is fast enough, has bags of features and is great on the motorway to the grandparents. We do a bit of camping and I love being able to pack the kitchen sink (with a roof box for the real mega trips) and be sure all the bases are covered.

I get 46 plus mpg on a long run and low-mid 40s on urban runs - but this is probably I bit below average because I fitted a set of 17" Zeniths. I specced xenon lights, curtain airbags and ESP for extra peace of mind. I will be selling later this year but only to get a scout as I want 4wd for the winter.

Edited by London Les

Welcome to the forums :thumbup:

What sort of budget are you working with?

As said above, there's no real difference in space between the estate and hatch - it's mostly a lifestyle choice I believe as both have truly massive boots with the same floorplan.

I have the 1.9TDI estate and it's a great engine. I'm not a sporty type, but for me it has ample power and I've not once felt wanting or regretted not going for the 2.0L TDI, and a quality remap would give you the same power at a fraction of the price differential anyway. Combined with the great economy and bulletproof reliability of the 1.9TDI, it makes that the engine of choice for me, but for you it will depend where your priorities are.

Thanks for the fantastic response. You have all been a great help.

I'm looking in the region of about £5.5k to £8.5k. Though tbh, I'm looking more for value for money than price, as the cheapest isn't always a bargain and the most expensive is not a guarantee of quality in my experience! My searching is driving the wife mad at the moment though, as I've been looking since before christmas! Yes there have been one's about, but I'm quite fussy as to what I want.

I was like this when I brought my Leon. I wanted only certain colours, unmodified, reasonable mileage and the facelifted FR model as opposed to the old Cupra. After months of searching, missed opportunities and an unhappy wife! I compromised and bought a Black FR with reasonably high mileage for the year. It was however, one of the cleanest I'd seen, FSH and apart from wanting some tyres and a few stone chips in the screen that needed filling, it was in excellent condition. It drives very well and you'd be hard pushed to tell the mileage. I did a Cambelt and Water pump along with a major service when I first got it and it's been reliable in 12 months+ I've had it. It's just flown through another Mot, wanting only a brake light bulb! So I'm no longer put off by big milages providing it's got the evidence to show that it's been well looked after. The only mistake I've made with the Leon really was buying a petrol one.......

Getting back to the Octavia's, I like Black, Silver, Grey or Dark Blue. Dark grey/Black interior. Got to be Manual. Hatch or Estate I'm not really fussed (I think the hatch looks slightly nicer and the boot is massive anyway, but the estate might be more practical) Parking sensors would be nice and save the wife scuffing the bumpers. Leather seats would be nice but not if they're starting to look tired (If I'm going for a higher mileage one then I'd probably go for cloth.) FSH is a definate. I'm not fussed if it's main dealer or not, so long as it's been cared for. Non-smoaker/ pet free. I think thats about it........

As for 1.9 or 2.0 PD....Still undecided. I think I'll just see what comes up. Good idea about the remap on the 1.9 though. I'll see what it's like first, that's always an option. I'm still tempted to blow the budget and get a vRS!

Thanks once again for all your advice, I'll let you know how I get on. :)

I bought a 06 plate 2.0 PD 140BHP elegance estate five months ago and have never looked back.

I commute 5 miles each way to work each day and once every 2-3 weeks drive from Germany to the UK and have already done 2 trips down to the French Alps and throughout it has never skipped a beat and failed to offer comfort and refinement. So far, apart from fuel and a service it has not cost me anything in maintenance.

The 2.0 engine has plenty of grunt and will happily return 55-60mpg on a long autobahn trip at 70mph with summer tyres on. However even at 80mph with winter tyres and the cruise control on it still gets 50-55mpg on long European motorway trips. I have nothing but praise for the engine.

As for estate or hatch; I think that the estate looks much better and ads so much more practicality, the floor space may be the same but until you own an estate you will not realise how convenient it is to be able to throw a chair in the boot, an extra bag or big box. Another advantage of the estate is that it comes with roof rails already on, meaning putting skis and roof boxes on the top is a lot less hassle.

I have owned a 1.9TDI Octavia Estate Elegance.It was the second best car in 40 yrs+ I have owned. Best was 1.9TDI VW Passat Estate-only 90 bhp and is still going after 14 yrs! . Octavia had good performance, road handling, economy and comfortable. Pulled like a train. 1.9 cheaper to run, buy new and secondhand, tax and insure than 2.0

I now have 2.0TDI 4X4 Estate. Time will tell but it has makings of good car. Handles very well but not so cheap to run as 1.9

I have a 1.9 tdi Elegance estate and can honestly say that this car wants for very little, it is economical, quite brisk not Vrs territory by any means but can pull away quite nicely from the lights. I considered a Vrs too but the extra insurance fuel and road tax swayed me towards a 2006 100 k elegance, this was still nearly £6k but was available and very smooth to drive. I have owned it for 9 months now and it is a lovely car. I like the OP am fussy about the cars I drive and have spent a few pounds on it 17" alloys etc but it still does not detract from the fact that it averages 50mpg and is a pleasure to drive, as for the space with two young children well we all know the paraphernalia that is required. For me an estate is best visually and practically, see other posts about the hatch back problems with pouring water in the boot when opening. I have owned two Octy's a mk1 130 bhp TDi and this one a mk2, the mk1 was every bit as good as the mk2 with less toys, but that 130bhp engine was soooo sweet, i don't think it was ever available on the mk2, both cars are good buys. My recommendation is for the1.9tdi engine as a reliabile and a good work horse and the estate for the extra versatility it offers. whatever Octy you go for I don't think you will be too dissapointed, hang out for the spec and colour you want, most TDi's will be high milers, but this is really nothing to worry about, the cars can take it just make sure there is a full service history.

I can only echo what's been said above. After 6 Passat's, all TDi's, the 3rd n 4th were 130 hp, both auto's. Wife still got No. 4 with 166K on the clock, had a new turbo at 150K.

Last Passat had 2.0 TDI n DSG and was not too impressed with DSG....BUT

Last year changed jobs and had to buy my own motor, so went for LnK Octavia 2 Estate with 2.0TDI n DSG (with 103K on the clock).......absolute dream.

Suspension quite stiff but handles well. More economical than 1.9's in the Passat's although Passat is bigger car.

2.0 is more refined and pulls well. DSG in this car is sooooooo smooth, even in Sport setting.

Over 22K miles it's averaged 47mpg. 40+ easy and regularly 50+ on a run.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Napier

I have the 1.9 classic as a taxi, changed the cloth seats to leather, fsh 122, 000 miles, seats from hatch will also fit the estate, changed dmf to single system, returning 50 plus mpg, flew past strict taxi test last month nothing required, that's 3 taxi tests now with no faults

Getting a full service on Tuesday including new break discs all round (1st new ones)

Have you done a search on the skoda web site for one in your price range or the auto trader site

I have the 1.9Tdi Ambiente hatch 56 plate.

Absolute brilliant car and very economical always at a constant 55mpg.Also as Skippy41 have had a new clutch conversion to SMF and no faults at all.Very happy with mine and only 36K at the moment.

• 1 month later...

hi, I dont want to hijack this thread but I too am looking at buying an Octavia 2 TDI. the 140bhp. But have been scared by the horror stories implying the engine oil pump will fail and it will eat turbo's etc. Though on here it seems some people have 140 PDs and are enjoying them and having no problems at various ages and various mileages, Napier, A3085238 and London Les. Are any of you guys if you read this happy to confirm you are still happy with your 140s? thanks. Ben.

I'm fairly happy with my PD140.

Its not been without its problems, but now onto 90K.

I've heard about the turbos and other common problems, but while thinking about a remap, someone mentioned about the oil pumps !

Mine is still on its original (as fare as I'm aware) but googling PD140 oil pumps tends to refer more to Passats, A4's and Superbs.

I couldn't find anything for my engine code (BKD)....

I'm on my 3rd Octavia now :) Love them.

I had a 2.0TDI PD Elegance DSG before I got my vRS recently and that was a lovely car.

It's probably still for sale: -

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=600987961

I had it with 21K on the clock January last year and put 34K on up until May of this year. Car didnt miss a beat.

I also paid £9K for it though, so I think you should be able to barter down the price shown on screen here.

Hope you find what you want.

Had a '54 pd140 since pretty much new, now on 90k with fsh and it has never caused me a problem. I had the cambelt, and water pump while it was off, and apart from tyres/brake pads and disks/servicing I have had no unexpected cost. I do make sure I let the engine cool after a run and this is essential with any turbo engine - you do not want oil just sat in a red hot turbo. These engines are known to run to 250k when looked after!

I now have a '10 cr170 vrs and still love it when I need to drive my pd140 as it is such a smooth and comfy drive.

I have a 2.0tdi DSG, today it past the 322,000km mark. It has been remapped from new and has been driven fairly hard. It has had 2 turbos and 1 DMF, the first turbo and the DMF where under warranty. I would say with the Irish economy the way it is, I will have to drive this car well past the 400,000km mark but I will be sad to see it go !!

Give it clean oil and a filter every 15,000kms and a fuel filter every second service and the car will go on and on for you. Also stick to the proper spec oil, its worth the extra few quid for peace of mind.#

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

I'm still tempted to blow the budget and get a vRS!

thats what i did, but its worth it in the end, because its the car ive always wanted, i will be keeping this for a few years....... i mean what would i change to, this has got everything i want.......

Probably the most important thing to check when buying Elegance spec or above is whether that ABS ECU has been replaced......

That applies to a huge range of cars, and seems to only be for cars with ESP from what we hear back.

The ASR cars seem to have a different controller.

I have a pd140 octavia and moved on from a remapped pd130 mk1 octavia, the difference between the 2 are worlds apart and I much prefer the pd140 and have only really thought about remapping my pd140 once (yesterday whilst towing our caravan for the 1st time).

If your after the spec and a bit of a sporty ride yet saving purchase and insurance £££ how about looking for the elegance spec with factory fit sport suspension? I can't compare the ride between the sport kit and vrs but the sport kit is firm yet comfortable or your other alternative is the Octavia Sport model which adds a few nice body touches and looks sporty yet subtle.

The only problem I've had with my pd140 since I bought the car was the turbo which I got replaced under warranty, other wise I'm very supprised by the economy and the space inside the front and rear seats (much bigger than the mk1).

Edited by matt@theforce

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly happy with my PD140.

Its not been without its problems, but now onto 90K.

I've heard about the turbos and other common problems, but while thinking about a remap, someone mentioned about the oil pumps !

Mine is still on its original (as fare as I'm aware) but googling PD140 oil pumps tends to refer more to Passats, A4's and Superbs.

I couldn't find anything for my engine code (BKD)....

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Well I have bought it. Done 600 odd miles in it and now in for its 80,000 mile service. Georgeous car!