vrs glove box squeaking

I have had a similar squeak that sounded like it came from the glove box.

It drove me mad so I did some investigating on the car around that area and found it.

In my case it was the top of the dashboard so I unscrewed the bolt (arrowed) a couple of turns and pushed the dashboard - squeak gone.

So, I retightened the bolt and not a squeak out of it since - three weeks of varying temperature and still no squeak, "sort'd".

img40.jpg

SA/\/\

Edited by Lornak

It drove me mad so I did some investigating on the car around that area and found it.

In my case it was the top of the dashboard so I unscrewed the bolt (arrowed) a couple of turns and pushed the dashboard - squeak gone.

So, I retightened the bolt and not a squeak out of it since - three weeks of varying temperature and still no squeak, "sort'd".

img40.jpg

SA/\/\

does the side trim come off easy

• 2 weeks later...

I found the issue was the with the cover for the passenger side of the dashboard,

The cover can be removed by using your car key in the slot at the bottom.

Once removed you will see there is a ring of foam glued to the back around the lipped air conditioning duct,

With mine the foam was not glued that well, with glue and foam around the lip.

I pressed foam and glue a little so it was a bit more consistently applied.

You can test it by fitting the cover back on. Now press around the air conditioning duct a little and you can check for the squeaking.

I've not had trouble with mine for a while now.

Think I had the same squeak appear on my 2w old VRS last week. I pushed the dash on that side and it disappeared. Am expecting it to return, so I'll be on the screw if it does.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

img40.jpg

SA/\/\

Hi, I am new to the site and was looking for the answer to my squeaky box!, which started yesterday. I believe it is a loose dash and not the glove box and so will skip all the other suggestions and go straight for the screw on the side of the dash....I will update you when work carried out. It is disappointing as the car is fantastic in all other ways except: VRS drivers seat "fluffing" at back corner, and poor feel of the heated mirror turn-switch - any thoughts forum.

I have had the same problem as this. I don't think it is any thing to do with the tightness of the screw though. I think the success people have had in adjusting the screw is is more to do with the repositioning of the panel (in the short term)that gives you access to the screw. I think the noise is generated by the rubber door seal rubbing against the lip of the side panel for the dash board. I ran some tests: With the panel on there was quite a loud squeak (like people have been complaining of - rubber on plastic)I took the panel off completely and went for a drive. The noise had completely gone.

I think I have also come up with a retro fit solution. It costs £1.47 and is available from Sainsbury's.

Buy a pack of sick on Velcro. Throw away the rough side. Using the furry side apply this to the length of the panel. Cut to fit. Refit the panel. This will stop the rubber seal rubbing on the panel and creating the noise. Its also looks neat is really easy to do and avoids jamming things in to the gap. Pictures below....

I honestly think that dealers these days would never come up with a solution like this. They are just too in to thier checklists and in most cases don't employ technicians that are true problem solvers. Without a standard VAG list of what to check and change/adjust their stuck and then you just get fobbed off with the list of checks that they have done

Hope this helps...

Side%20Panel.JPG

Finished%20job.JPG

• Like 2

John,

Great tip - Many thanks.

Had exactly the same problem with my own (3 month old) VRS - The noise was infuriating at times and not what you'd expect on such a new car.

Followed your instructions (Pictures were a great help as well) and sourced some black velcro from Dunelm Mill for only 50p.

So far so good - Problem cured.

You're a saviour.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

It is disappointing as the car is fantastic in all other ways except: VRS drivers seat "fluffing" at back corner, and poor feel of the heated mirror turn-switch - any thoughts forum.

I have the same on my Yeti.

I'll bet your trousers have velcro pocket closures?

Not really a cure but the bobbles can be removed by carefully shaving with a normal razor.

I have also removed the prickly side of the Velcro from 2 pairs of my trousers so it doesn't happen again

• 5 months later...

can I ask, how easy is it to remove that side panel?

do you have to slide it, unclip it, yank it, or what?

same annoying squeak - don't normally hear it due to Ipod, but when I'm listening to the radio it's v.annoying.

can I ask, how easy is it to remove that side panel?

do you have to slide it, unclip it, yank it, or what?

same annoying squeak - don't normally hear it due to Ipod, but when I'm listening to the radio it's v.annoying.

There is a hole at bottom, just stick the key in to lever it, it will then just pull and pop out.

Edited by jrw

For simple issues like this wouldn't a feedback process (that was actually used be so handy), I had same issues on a 2006 car.........seeing some of the above are 2010.........so still sending cars out with simply fixed annoying issue.

• 6 months later...

Had a the same sort of squeak/vibration. Took it to my local skoda dealer today, they took out the passenger side air vent on dashboard. Tested it without no squeak, gave it back to me saying they would order in a new air vent and I could bring it back in week.

On the drive home there was no squeak, so I may nto even bother getting the new one fitted - if the noise doesn't come back.

I have this issue on both of our Octavia's. Dealer useless.

I've tried everything suggested on this thread, tightened the screws, slackened the screws, copper slipped the threads, left the panel off etc.

Nothing worked.

So this week I bought some fibre washers off eBay. Fitted them to each of the screws thus separating the plastic / metal surface.

Been out today and complete silence, result!

!Bv50-CwCWk~$(KGrHqF,!jMEv1+0!cLyBMGiej7+O!~~_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140828310282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Having had a sqeak from the same area and having tried all the above remedies we still had the sqeak until in absolute desperation I packed out the underside of the brushed ally trim immediately above the glove box and success!!!!!!! after eighteen months no sqeak!!!!!

+1

Have had same annoying noise until last week I tried all the remedies at same time - cardboard under screws - tape under air vent housing - more foam rubber around vent opening in removable trim cover - filled the void behind the glovebox area with foam rubber and put a tie strap around wiring loom fastening it to the metal frame at side of glovebox.

Don't know what did the trick but now silence!! and the glovebox still opens/closes so haven't messed up the mechanism.

SWMBO's only comment - "what are you going to moan about now"