My car is doing fine!

I was just reading another thread that spoke of how forums highlight more problems rather than being full of people heaping praise on their car so I thought I would break the mould for a minute!

My MY08 Octavia vRS TFSI with nearly 17000 miles on it is running, as it always has, brilliantly. I've never (touch wood) had a problem with it. It never misses a beat and has given me joy for the past two years.

Love it :thumbup:

I was just reading another thread that spoke of how forums highlight more problems rather than being full of people heaping praise on their car so I thought I would break the mould for a minute!

My MY08 Octavia vRS TFSI with nearly 17000 miles on it is running, as it always has, brilliantly. I've never (touch wood) had a problem with it. It never misses a beat and has given me joy for the past two years.

Love it :thumbup:

Likewise!! 3 years, 35000 miles. total satisfaction; I still think of it as a new car. I call it The Flying Armchair.

Ditto for me too, had mine 3 years, now have 83000 miles on the clock, had some trouble at the start because of previous owner, but even with my mods its gave me no trouble, thinking of a new vrs next year!

I was thinking it would be good to do a multi-choice poll to get a better idea of what problems people here have had given many are regulars and not just here for assistance with troubleshooting although I suspect it's been done already somewhere.

John

58 plate CR TDi DSG 22k miles, one issue (leaking intercooler pipe sorted under warranty ) otherwise its awesome. Soon to be upgraded to a FL version.

Recommend the brand and Octavias to friends family and colleagues - best VFM in its class I reckon.

2005 Octy II Sport 2.0pd 46.5k (ish) and the only problem(s) i've had is a REALLY irratating whistling noise, still un resolved after doing the window seal and a squeaky window rubber lol

Much better to drive than my old furby vRS ;)

Still love driving my Octy......... :thumbup:

p.s. Anyone know what else could cause the noise :rofl:

Will, you spend more time polishing it than driving it! I'm not surprised you've never had a prob! :giggle:

Very fair point their Simbo! B)

Glad to see some happy motorists on here! :thumbup:

Simbo - your L&K has been going forever - you must be happy with it? :yes:

My parent's bought a 2000 1.6 Octy new (Because for the same money they couldn't get anything of similar size and quality even second hand). After they were hit by another car and walked out of it without a scratch but the impact wrote the car off, they replaced with another 2000 reg octavia which I also drove. This car ran until 2007ish before suffering rivet failure in the front differential (A feature of all the 1.6 petrol cars apparently and not just mark 1's either) and also had the mechanism for one of the rear electric windows replaced in 2009. The sump was replaced too after it touched down on a forestry road and started leaking slowly (Not Skodas fault, but the Mark 2 car is an inch higher and doesn't touch down anywhere except when heavily loaded). Everything else done to these two cars was service items only. The engine was showing signs of coolant leaking into the oil and was over 100,000 miles when I skated off on the greasiest back road I've ever seen (I found bits of 4 other cars on the same bend and the recovery truck knew where I was as soon as I said I'd slid off the road) and rolled up a ditch, doing cosmetic damage to the car. The recovery truck pulled the back off the radiator while pulling the car back down. It was an insurance write-off as the car was worth under €2000, even though there was no structural damage done.

I then bought a 55 reg Octy 2 1.9 TDi Elegance last year and am very happy with it as it's the most comfortable motorway mile muncher I've ever driven as well as a quick car through the B roads. Problems with this car are: clutch judder when pulling away quickly, especially with the engine cold in wet weather (Seems to be a feature of the clutch friction material rather than anything to do with the DMF), reverse parking sensors only working properly when the weather is hot and dry (i.e. about 5 times a year in Ireland - it needs a wiring loom, but the whole back bumper and boot lining have to come off to replace it and that job takes hours) and just recently a leak in the aircon, which looks like a labour nightmare to pay to put right, but I have yet to take it apart to have a look. It does seem that the extra stuff added on to the base car model is where the reliability issues are concentrated, but since the car can still be driven comfortably and safely it remains on the road and the in-gear acceleration combined with the excellent fuel economy still put a smile on my face :)...

Best upgrade was getting the car remapped, second best was getting the profoundly irritating seatbelt buzzer turned off, so I could put my seatbelt on while waiting for the gloplug light to turn off rather than being beeped at to wear my seatbelt before I've even started the engine.

My wife's 2006 Vrs TFSi, that we bought recently (with 11,500 miles from new by a 76 yr old owner) is going lovely thanks very much....

despite polite suggestions from some forum members that the engine might be unduly worn,

It's pulling like a train and starting to 'run in' nicely :yes: :thumbup:

Edited by sko-with-go

But why does the number plate rattle on my mk II Octy when I slam the boot ? Anyone know of a cure ?

Grab a new rear plate, and then fix it with 4 adhesive pads. Job done :thumbup:

07 plate vRS TDi, 45k, just back from a holiday in Ireland where it coped with wife, baby, pot-holes and a jolly good spanking up and down the N roads and behaved impeccably. I never stop singing the praises of Skoda to everyone who will listen to me (which is an ever-decreasing number of people!) and after nearly 2 years I still love it like no other car I've ever owned. When I finally decide it's time to change I'll be buying a Superb estate.

Well done to the OP for spreading a bit of love! :rofl:

But why does the number plate rattle on my mk II Octy when I slam the boot ? Anyone know of a cure ?

IT annoys the hell out of me as well. Mine came attached to the dealers black plastic number plate surround (for want of a better description) with their name and number on it. So I reckon its too heavy for sticky pads (and why are we using them anyway?)

I tried to pull it off (er the number plate...) but it wouldn't come (sorry) and felt like the plate was going to break.

So now I'm waiting for it to fall off and hope I'm there to catch it!

Grrrr

the dill

58 plate 1.8TSi hatch - zero trouble. Even the paint job is amazing (Cappuchino) - never seems to get really dirty and cleans up like new with a wet chamois leather.

Having said all that, I'll probably go and drive it under a train now.................

• 7 months later...

Bit of a bump, but haven't seen a recent thread where this would fit better...

Covered 450 miles in 8 hours in my Stage 1 Revo'd petrol vRS (pre-FL) this weekend. Averaged 38.5mpg (calculated, trip computer showed 38.8) at 70mph on the motorways, little bit of 'heavy right foot' on dual carriageways, no fuel stops! Got out feeling fresh as a daisy even after a 3.5 hour stint.

All I've done so far in a year of ownership is bang some silicone sealant behind the rear window gasket to stop wind noise, change the aerial base, change a cambelt sensor, get it serviced and put fuel in it. Now on 108000 miles and it still amazes me every time I drive it!

As ednmra says though, that's probably lined me up for a host of problems :p

the same story from me the car is now 6 days old with nearly 280 miles on the clock and not a single fault :p :D and I dont expect to be saying anything other than praise for a good long time yet :D