New VRS, which one to go for

Aren't there other factors to consider with the cost, such as:

- the diesel needs a cambelt change after 4yrs according to Skoda, the TSI doesn't have a cambelt, so that saves £300- 400

- diesel is more expensive than petrol

- petrol engine seems to be more reliable, DMF's don't seem to fail as much and there's no DPF to cause any problems

- when I've done insurance quotes the petrol is around £30 cheaper per year

At what mileage point does the petrol become more cost effective for low annual mileages, such as less than 5k a year?

Also, is there an option to have 17" wheels on a VRS ?

- 4 years? Where have you got that from? 100k miles now

- Diesel is about 3p more by me - thats £1.80 on a tank - Petrol 12gallons x 40MPG = 480 miles Diesel 12gal x 50mpg = 600miles - So that £1.80 gives you an extra 120 miles for every tank, and thats a conservative estimate of you actually getting 40mpg over a whole tank in the TSI!

- DPF isn't an issue if you drive it properly

- Petrol is much more insurance for me

- I do 15k+ a year so diesel is a no brainer for me

VRS's come with 18inch wheels - why would you want smaller?

With regards the other comments - i would like to see proof of 50mpg on the 1.8TSI! And even if you could i'd be having more fun getting 50mpg than you would be! My mother in laws 1.4TSI golf I haven't seen break the 40MPG mark.

I got 59MPG the other day on my 20mile commute to work down the motorway and that wasn't difficult to achieve really.

You can argue all day long but at the end of the day its your choice. The 1.8 is a whole .6 to 60 quicker but when are you ever going to have them side by side to test it in the real world? Plus the fact i have DSG, launch control and 225-40/18's to keep traction... so see you at the finish line...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Diesel is about 3p more by me - thats £1.80 on a tank - Petrol 12gallons x 40MPG = 480 miles Diesel 12gal x 50mpg = 600miles - So that £1.80 gives you an extra 120 miles for every tank, and thats a conservative estimate of you actually getting 40mpg over a whole tank in the TSI!

With regards the other comments - i would like to see proof of 50mpg on the 1.8TSI! And even if you could i'd be having more fun getting 50mpg than you would be! My mother in laws 1.4TSI golf I haven't seen break the 40MPG mark.

I got 59MPG the other day on my 20mile commute to work down the motorway and that wasn't difficult to achieve really.

You can argue all day long but at the end of the day its your choice. The 1.8 is a whole .6 to 60 quicker but when are you ever going to have them side by side to test it in the real world? Plus the fact i have DSG, launch control and 225-40/18's to keep traction... so see you at the finish line...

^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said; plus 40mpg in a 2.0T vRS?! Think you'd get 35mpg average at best, personally.

Edited by Herschel

trip to devon and back included, full boot, etc. (it did 57mpg on those two trips)

I'd be interested to know what style of driving you were using to get those figures, even in a diesel

I'd be interested to know what style of driving you were using to get those figures, even in a diesel

Thats quote easy on a run - its only when you put roof racks, bikes and boxes on the roof it takes a nose dive!

Very difficult to compare petrol to diesel as they are such different driving experiences. I'm unsure of what the vehicle cost difference is, but in general it's only worth going for the diesel if your mileage is more than the average as otherwise it isn't worth the sacrifice. Diesels whilst cheaper to tax (& sometimes insure) can cost more come service time and do seem to suffer more problems on the whole (across all marques - check out BMW!). The driving experience is so much different that unless you are doing it for financial reasons the petrol is a lot more exciting to drive. If you are a car person you can't put a price on that. I'd rather pay the small difference in day to day running and enjoy driving my car each and every time I get in it. I didn't have that sensation with my last diesel and was instantly transformed in to my old self when I picked the VRS up. I'm a family man and thought I'd save money and go diesel but tbh in the process lost my passion for motoring.

Numbers are always everything.

Thats quote easy on a run - its only when you put roof racks, bikes and boxes on the roof it takes a nose dive!

Even before a remap I never got figures like that :'( :'(

Even before a remap I never got figures like that :'( :'(

You need to loose weight off your right foot then!!

I don't understand people who dont say the diesel isn't fun? its 170BHP and can see most things off the road and has exactly the same suspension as the petrol. I have fun in mine anyway :)

Hi Brimma,

Firstly, I ran it in gently for the first 1000 miles; extending the rev range, etc. as per instructions in the manual, but not booting it - so it changes up very quickly for me from 1st to 2nd to 3rd now it has learnt. :)

In terms of driving style, I averaged around 65mph in each direction.

I had my 16-month old nipper in the back, so didn't accelerate really hard or stop harshly either; other than that, normal driving for me.

I've found that the difference between driving at 65mph and 75mph (speedo) is around 7 or 8mpg.

Over the trip to devon (180 miles), I got there only 20 mins later.

H

I don't understand people who dont say the diesel isn't fun? its 170BHP and can see most things off the road and has exactly the same suspension as the petrol. I have fun in mine anyway :)

are you my long-lost twin?! :giggle:

^^ definitely this, love mine, and the torque / in gear acceleration is great.

Absolutely the right choice unless you are doing low mileage or short driving that might aggrevate the DPF. never had an issue myself.

do about 12k a year last year, aiming for about 18k nowadays (work). helps that they pay me 25p a mile to drive :)

are you my long-lost twin?! :giggle:

Must be - its just as much fun for me without the hit on the wallet. - saw a white FL in Telford today - passed each other with a nod!!

Diesel is definitely fun, but it is a totally different drive to a petrol unit. That said the kick when the torque cuts in is unreal and a sensation that the TFSI can't reproduce. For motorway driving it's definitely the better choice but day to day I find petrol smoother and more manageable. I've nearly had several mishaps trying to get off the line at roundabouts quickly in the diesel when there just isn't any power off boost.

This can be debated to death, only the one handing over the money can decide which is best for them

Maybe I'm having too much fun in mine then ;)

Vehicles Skoda Octavia II 1.8 TSi V S Skoda Octavia II RS 2.0 TDI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gearbox : manual 6 gear manual 6 gear

Power : 160 PS 170 PS

Torque : 250 Nm 350 Nm

Weight/Power ratio : 9.13 Kg/PS 1 9.24 Kg/PS 1

1 Weight (EU) heaviest verified in running order

Performances

Max Real Speed : 223 Km/h 224 Km/h

Km : 28.4 s . 30.2 s.

0 to 40 : 2.2 s. 2.3 s.

0 to 60 : 4 s. 3.8 s.

0 to 80 : 5.8 s. 6.1 s.

0 to 100 : 7.7 s. 8.6 s.

0 to 120 : 11.3 s. 12.5 s.

0 to 140 : 15.2 s. 16.6 s.

0 to 160 : 19.9 s. 23.3 s.

80 to 120 min : 5.5 s. 6.1 s.

80 to 120 in 4 : 6.6 s. 6.3 s.

80 to 120 in 5 : 8.7 s. 8.2 s.

80 to 120 in 6 : 10.5 s. 11.1 s

Edited by lol

Skoda UK say 110,000 mile or every 4 yrs but I think the 4 year rule may not apply to VW CR engines judging by this post:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/156665-16-cr-cambelt-intervals/page__view__findpost__p__1973043

What does it say in the Octavia service book for the CR engine?

I wondered if smaller wheels were available on the VRS, as I imagine the 18's give a hard ride. I would go for the Elegance model but it looks so bland.

With the DPF, if u stay in a low gear to keep the revs up does this help prevent the soot buildling up on short journeys ?

Edited by Ultima

What does it say in the Octavia service book for the CR engine?

Ultima,

From memory, when i was looking through everything the day I picked her up, it says they check the condition after 4 years or 180,000km (so 112,000 miles), then again every service after that.

I think. ;)

Might go and check and let you know in a bit..........with the correct answer. :giggle:

H

Edited by Herschel

I don't think the 18's give any harsher ride than my mates polo GT with 16inch 45 profile tyres on - its the suspension that is hard but its not uncomfortable.

The suspension is firm but the dampening is set just right if you ask my. It's still nice and compliant and at the same time reduces body roll so cornering is very good, and in town driving is firm but smooth and it soaks up potholes well. The 18s will have a stiffer sidewall so although they will not soak up the bumps quite as well as the 17s, the turn in is much better as there is less sidewall flex. Not something you may notice day to day (depending upon your driving habits) but if you go for spirited drives etc it's something that can make a big difference.

Very difficult to compare petrol to diesel as they are such different driving experiences. I'm unsure of what the vehicle cost difference is, but in general it's only worth going for the diesel if your mileage is more than the average as otherwise it isn't worth the sacrifice. Diesels whilst cheaper to tax (& sometimes insure) can cost more come service time and do seem to suffer more problems on the whole (across all marques - check out BMW!). The driving experience is so much different that unless you are doing it for financial reasons the petrol is a lot more exciting to drive. If you are a car person you can't put a price on that. I'd rather pay the small difference in day to day running and enjoy driving my car each and every time I get in it. I didn't have that sensation with my last diesel and was instantly transformed in to my old self when I picked the VRS up. I'm a family man and thought I'd save money and go diesel but tbh in the process lost my passion for motoring.

Numbers are always everything.

Have to admit I am/was a bit of a petrol head I used to do loads of track days, raced Caterhams for 2 years and a Bmw 320 for 1 year but had to give it up as I had New born daughter and also started my own business. I always had a Diesel company car and the wife had a Clio 182 Cup which I always drove at the weekends. We bought the Diesel ST Mondeo as our new family car but with time I drove it less and less and just let the wife do the driving. I just found it dull to drive (handles ok) with a narrow torque curve which always seemed to be all or nothing, My wife used to laugh at me as I could never make swift and smooth progress i just assumed I'd lost the knack to drive quickly (where safe to do so)

Maybe I can find my mojo again with a petrol, that would please the wife :D

looks like I can pick up a Race blue FSI with auto dimming lights,Floor mats,Heated seats, Maxidot, space saver, and front and rear parking sensors for £16874.25 and £17812.95 for the same car with DSG (drive the deal) will use this to negotiate with the sales person on Saturday

Edited by Mr Wheels