Is any one happy with their Octavia?

Best car I've had. Not had a problem with mine. Had a few issues with my MkI the dealer always sorted them. I wouldn't change my MkII for anything else really.

Work have just got an unmarked Octy Elegance Diesel and it's regarded as the best car in our fleet (ok so the fleet consists of an Astra estate, Pathfinder SUV, Ford Focus estate, a Cativa SUV and a Renault Traffic van but it's still a solid motor)

:thumbup:

Forums are very useful but you have to remember that often people come here with a problem.... so it seems that there might be a lot of issues, the same applies to forums about almost everything you can buy, its a bit like reading a medical dictionary... you end convinced that you have every disease in the book. If you at any car forums you will find lots of people talking about faults.... as an ex-merc owner I promise you it would put yo off for ever if you read the problems people have. Many of the problems are actually minor and some turn out to be no more that a mis-understanding of the operation or a wish to compare notes with other owners. Having a good service garage or dealership is important again, as it is for most cars. Also remember that it uses tried and tested VAG components.

I think that re-itererates what has been said above so I am here really to add a happy voice of absolute delight with my '08 vrs Tfsi - It is my 3rd Skoda, I had a brief mad interlude when I owned a very glamorous Mercedes E - i am delighted with the vrs, it is a waste of time buying it if you are going to worry too much about petrol consumption, I manage 32 mpg ave and I am happy with that... and it actually better than I got from previous Skoda which was elegance 2.0 auto... it is lovely and flexible across a wide rev band which makes it easy in traffic, the suspension is a great balance of comfort and handling, it is fun to drive even when you are modest with its power and I am enjoying driving more than any car I have ever owned. Of course it isn't perfect at the price , but no car is at any price. Although it is the "sporty" version it is very relaxed when it is pottering or lapping up motorway miles, after all at 70 mph on a motorway it is only somewhere around half way to its top speed.

I took mine on holiday to Germany and drove it (only where legal I might add ) at over 120 mph and it was still relaxed, it still felt stable and it rode way way better the the rock hard Mercedes - petrol consumption at that speed best not mentioned of course.

I have the estate version and can pack my 2 Newfoundland dogs in the back and it is still fun even if the loud pedal needs more squeeze...

So.... after all that I can confirm that I am very happy with my vrs

I've been more than happy with my Mk1 in the two and a half years I've had it. Better performance, as good economy and better reliability than any car I had ever owned before. If I didn't want to end up strapping myself up in finance again I would be into a Mk2 VRS (diesel) like a shot but I will probably just run the Mk1 into the ground then buy a Mk1 (non VRS) diesel to replace it.

Had my '57 plate vRS PD for 15mths and been very happy with it in this time. Retrofitted cruise control for my simple motorway commute to work & love just sitting back & cruising to work and from in total comfort, or like a rocket if i need to!!

No problems in this time at all to speak of, service last year was a ridiculous bargain in my view.....................£169 for a main dealer service incl a pollen filter & brake fluid change...........you wouldnt get that from Ford/Vaux etc!!

Its in for its pre-end of warranty check up & MOT next week where i've asked them to swap a rear door tweeter that crackles occasionally & look at a couple of rattles i occasionaly hear in the rear doors.............nothing bad but while its there they might as well try & fix the only thing i could even grumble about!!!

My local dealers are friendly helpful sales bunch, mum & i went to look at a Fabia last weekend & they were quite happy for me to take out the new Fabia vRS to a drive jsut for the heck of it!!! Nice car by the way, 1st DSG i've driven & was very impressed........goes like a rocket when you boot it too!!

Had mine 8 months from new and drives like a dream.

The worst problem I've had with mine is that it gets dirty and then I have to clean it :rofl:

Seriously, great car, no worries at all here.

Compared with my Mk I 1.9 TDi Elegance that I did 99,000 miles in...

Good:

Feels nice and solid

Maxidot

Bottle holders

Not so good:

Poor low-end torque

Fuel consumption

Boominess

Radio

Maxidot Altzeimer's

I would like to add:-

Had 2 Mk1 Octys, & a Fabia vRS, I hate to admit it but selling the fabia was a mistake. I have had my Fiat 500 2 yrs & am comming back to Skodas ( 1 Octy vRS on order).

I had NO trouble with any of my cars, only payout was on Servces & consumables, Thats why Im comming back to Skoda.

Also very happy with mine, despite a load of problems at the start of this year which Skoda eventually resolved and gave me an additional 12 months warranty and recovery for free because of issues encountered.

This is my second Skoda on the bounce a Elegance 2.0TDi followed by my current petrol vRS, so had Skoda's now from new for 6 years and overall very happy with them, first time I have ever had the same make never mind model back to back, normally always change manufacturers, but that impressed with the Skoda.

I'm on Octy no 3 so they're doing something right. Do like the look of the new V/X Astra though.....

Must resist. Must resist. Must res.. :rofl:

Have used Skoda's for Taxi's for last 10 Years.

02 Octavia Tdi 90 Ambiente

53 Superb Comfort 130

54 Superb 130 Elegance

55 Octavia Sport Tdi 140

07 Octavia Sport Tdi 140 DSG

60 Octavia VRS TDI CR DSG

All the above cars have had problems (except the VRS) like you get with ALL cars.

BUT.......I would not consider using any other make of car for Taxi-ing, and these cars take a lot of stick. Not just the high mileage but the type of driving and general abuse off passengers !!

They hold up to it quite well. :yes:

Edited by mdbirtles

Very happy with mine nearly 4 years old, just the dreaded teeves 60 sensor trouble but yours will have the 70 one , and I have 3 people queuing up for it when I come to sell!! :thumbup:

Just sold my 1.9TDI Elegance (2009), best car I have owned. Needed more room for our Golden Retriever so bought a Yeti but would have prefared an Octavia Combi if one had been available.

Very happy with our 56 plate TFSI vRS Hatchback, we have had it for nearly 2 years now without any major issues.

Only issue was the rear camber eating tyres but that was soon sorted out, just waiting for the ESP/ABS fault to appear next which is likely to be expensive.

Had the cambelt, waterpump, aux belt and fuel pump cam follower changed the other day as it will be 4 years old soon.

Also had a remap carried out by Jabbasport which has rekindled my interest in the car, made a big difference over standard.

Very happy with my PDVrs mate ,,, Ive owned a fair few cars in the past as well including a merc and the skoda is a very very good car. I must admit I have changed my cars almost yearly for a long long time and have been getting itchy feet recently. But , I had a brand new civic as a hire car last week and after a day in that you realise just how good the vrs is, they are brilliant cars and I plan to run this one into the ground.

I've been a Skoda owner since May. Just 4,000 miles down the road it's easily the best car i've owned (and I've had a few). Does everything well. 37mpg at 80mph cruise for hours in comfort on French motorway. A blast up Alpine passes (best not mention mpg..) Great on B roads. Will happily pootle about if so desired when you get 40+mpg with ease. Huge boot . A real value for money package delivering awesome power for the economy. Just the seat bolster problem mentioned elsewhere on the forum - oh, and those Dunlops do wear out quickly, thank goodness.

On with my fourth Octavia (3 estates, and 1 hatch) since December 1999 and I can honestly say they are up there as the best cars I (and Mrs D.) have ever owned. Only thing (fingers crossed as I type - and that's not easy to do) that has ever gone wrong was a leaky radiator on Octy #3 which was replaced under warranty. Octy #2 was written off in a collision or I may still have had it. My current Octy Scout is fantastic and Mrs D loves it. We have just got back from a few days away in the caravan and the Scout is an excellent towcar.

The other cars we have owned as well while we have had the Octys have been OK (mostly Toyotas) apart from the Ford Fusion I bought in a moment of absolute madness, the build quality and reliability of which was almost laughable in comparison to any of our Skodas.

Overall nothing has beaten the Octavias as an all round package.

I've had my Octy vRS for 7 months and 6500 miles and its not put a foot wrong - my previous car (a Saab) had been to the dealers five times in the first 6 months and was still falling apart. It's comfortable, fast, well equipped, has a huge boot, and is economical for the performance on offer (long term average about 45mpg). The only downsides are it has a few intermittent rattles, and is a bit noisy on the motorway on the factory fitted Contis - but on the new super smooth bits of tarmac the tyre noise disappears and I can hardly hear the engine at 70(ish). Oh, and it's rubbish in snow!

most drivers here seem to have owned VRS and have enormous proud of their Octys. I have driven my 1.6 CR for 4000 miles now I have to say, despite of bad press, this is the best car I have ever owned and I absolutely love it. The smoothness of the engine makes driving the car a dream.

Have already expressed my happiness with my Octy vrs earlier in this thread... I guess the slight frustration about owning a Skoda is that at some point some pea brained brand slave will make a joke about it - I am reminded by the recent visit of a friend who came in a rented car because his popular brand French car (better not actually name it I suppose ) was once again off the road waiting for untraceable parts to solve yet another fault.... having arrived and expressed his frustration with appalling reliability of his not very old French people carrier at some length he then made the usual tired old remarks about my Skoda.... I have learned over many happy years of Skoda ownership that I am the fortunate one to own a car based on tried and tested mostly pretty tough technology.... even after seeing just how good Octy is and hearing about my happiness I dare say the same friend will just, as usual re-purchase his French stylish brand and continue to bemoan the amount of problems he has with it.... I guess I have just insulted my friend by the reference to pea brained brand slave... I suppose I am also a brand slave but at least have the re-assurance of being slave to a decent brand (Skoda). .... :-)