ESP / ABS G201 Failure (Teves MK60) - List

scouter2

My petrol Octavia vRS 2006 had the ESP light staying on which was diagnosed as a ABS Module failure. My car was 3 months out of warranty and the repair bil was in the region of £1500. Skoda UK agreed to pay 50% but they screwed up the VAT so I ended up paying approx £500.

Local dealer claimed they hadn't heard of the problem! This unit is common across the whole VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat range so it must be a recognised failure. I contact VOSA regarding this as a potential safety issued but they weren't interested.

Apparantly the failure is a small pressure sensor within the ABS module (which is a sealed unit) that all the brake hydraulics connect through.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.The Skoda/dealer response really shouldn't be that random should it.

I am one of the 'lucky' ones - I took out an extended warranty & on this occasion it has covered the costs, which I am told would have been in the region of £350 fitted.

Car fixed = happy chappy ! Good luck to everyone else in getting this resolved.

Just thought I would update my entry.

My car went in Monday morning to have the "fixing kit" fitted.

I received a call at midday to say it had been fitted and everything had tested OK - issue had been fixed.

I was charged £150+vat plus 1hrs labour to have the kit fitted.

This was at ALS-Auto's, there at Little Downham, Ely.

This was the main dealer where I bought my new car from.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't "done me any favours" on pricing - so I'm guessing anyone could get it done for the same.

This was at ALS-Auto's, there at Little Downham, Ely.

This was the main dealer where I bought my new car from.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't "done me any favours" on pricing - so I'm guessing anyone could get it done for the same.

Especially when they are 125 from seat? :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a place in Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire that does the external sensor mod? I think I'd rather have that than another expensive unit that may fail again.

Just been quoted £346.80 inc vat for a fix by an independant garage. Definitely better than £1,500 but a bit more than Stoofa's £150 + vat and an hours labour. Anybody else had the fix done recently? If so what was the cost?

• 3 weeks later...

Just been quoted £346.80 inc vat for a fix by an independant garage. Definitely better than £1,500 but a bit more than Stoofa's £150 + vat and an hours labour. Anybody else had the fix done recently? If so what was the cost?

About to bend over and see what the damage is for my wife's Golf Tdi GT.

Bit of a lottery with the VW's on getting VW to foot some or all of the cost. Lots of people have been successful , lots have not.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the traction control light come on on my August 2008 (08) Scout.

Got the wife to take it directly to Skoda, they advised not to drive the car and have booked it in as a priority.

Warranty expires 31st July, six weeks away, phew!

:thumbup: Mine has just been in for a 'check' of the ABS and the main dealer has fitted a new ABS pump so I wonder if there is a recall ? cheers - Stuart B)

Mine is in warranty - 09 Scout, so if your car is getting near to the end chase it up with Skoda, it could be a good thing if they are owning up to the fault so I hope people out of warranty retry their claims (you might be lucky). cheers - Stuart

Mine is in warranty - 09 Scout, so if your car is getting near to the end chase it up with Skoda, it could be a good thing if they are owning up to the fault so I hope people out of warranty retry their claims (you might be lucky). cheers - Stuart

I think it is more of a case that yours is still in warranty, so that is why it was replaced :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh, looks like I might be having this issue as well.

ESP light [sometimes] comes on and stays on as well as the tyre pressure monitor light.

No performance deterioration from a braking point of view though.

Wonder if yours is more likely to be related to the LSD and immense amount of power you're trying to put out through the front wheels?

As no-one (to my knowledge) has reported this as an intermittent fault, it always seems to be completely normal and then one day you turn the ignition on and the lights have appeared.

Also, it's not actually the ABS that's affected, just the ESP, so your brakes should still work fine.

It was doing this prior to the LSD install.

It is as you describe above; One day it is completely fine, and others the lights will be lit up.

I'll get it looked at when I have some spare time, cheers.

It was doing this prior to the LSD install.

It is as you describe above; One day it is completely fine, and others the lights will be lit up.

I'll get it looked at when I have some spare time, cheers.

No, I meant that once it's on, it's on. It doesn't go off again at all.

Anyway, as you said, get it checked out adn report back!

There is now a VW repair kit for most cars with this problem and it's around £160 IIRC.

Mentioned on post 81, sent you an email yesterday on your site page no reply yet, I was asking ihow much to source and fit maxidot to my Octy vrs petrol 56 plate, although up herego down to the milands meet , saw you there on Tuesday , that is if you are Ben, he had a mate with him anyway with team sweatshirt :thumbup: