DRL - no rear lights on

EdmundBlackadder

I am always VERY concerned about what's going on behind me: I know that, strictly speaking, if anyone hits you from behind it's their fault, but I'd sooner not be hit at all! Unless this is just another symptom of my increasing years, it seems to me that more and more people drive far too close to the car in front these days; I know brakes and stability programmes are much better and all of that, but why do so many drivers feel the need to tailgate so aggressively?

Apart from looking in your mirror before you brake what is behind you should really be of no concern to any driver.

Unless you have Sebastian Vettel breathing your exhaust fumes? :rofl:

Or that articulated lorry that has been following closely for some distance...

Might it be a good idea to update mirrors regularly so you know what is behind and can take appropriate action?

I this case braking earlier. Signalling earlier too if turning.

If you only check mirrors before braking you may not be giving said lorry enough time to react correctly to your intentions?

I am always VERY concerned about what's going on behind me: I know that, strictly speaking, if anyone hits you from behind it's their fault, but I'd sooner not be hit at all! Unless this is just another symptom of my increasing years, it seems to me that more and more people drive far too close to the car in front these days; I know brakes and stability programmes are much better and all of that, but why do so many drivers feel the need to tailgate so aggressively?

emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The very fact that some manufacturers do use rear lights in conjunction with DRL's suggests there is a benefit.

The ability to select the rear lights to come on with the DRL's suggests Skoda may see the benefit too.

As far as I can see the benefits of rear DRL's outweigh any disadvantages so far identified in this thread.

The law doesn't require rear DRL's in the UK however any additional visibility in my eyes is a bonus, front or back.

The ability to select the rear lights to come on with the DRL's suggests Skoda may see the benefit too.

Please remind us how this is done? Maxidot setting?

What would you define as a rear DRL. Side light, rear fog or brake lights?

Front Drl's are quite conspicuous however rear side lights in daylight are not so conspicuous. If you were to suggest using something more intense ie fog or brake lights you would then run the risk of masking the brake lights when you applied the brakes, probable leading to a higher risk of a rear impact.

I prefer being in a position of other road users being able to see me approaching (front DRL's) than running the risk by having rear DRL's that could potentially mask the fact that I was braking, and the likelihood of being shunted up the rear as a result.

What would you define as a rear DRL. Side light, rear fog or brake lights?

Just the normal 4x 5W tail lights. Why would anyone want brake or fog lights on as rear DRL's?

I prefer being in a position of other road users being able to see me approaching (front DRL's) than running the risk by having rear DRL's that could potentially mask the fact that I was braking, and the likelihood of being shunted up the rear as a result.

If a 5W bulb can be mistaken for 2x 21W brake light bulbs and a strip of high level LED's then I think the problem isn't with the car.

I don't think the 5w tail lights would be that visible in bright daylight, has anyone got any photo's or will I have to go out and experiment?

• 1 year later...

I appreciate this is a late post to this subject but I have just gone from an Octy L&K to Yeti Elegance. When I picked up the Octy I was asked if I wanted just the front DRL's on or Front and Rear (which I chose). Having followed my wife when she was driving the Octy there was no doubt that having the rear DRL's active made it more noticeable (especially at the time of day when the auto light has not yet turned on). I know I could just as easily turn on the sidelights but what is the point of having auto lights and DRL's only to have to manually overcome shortcomings in the setup of the car. So, when I collected the Yeti I asked to have both front and rear active and was told "sorry, can only do the front". Considering the Yeti is 2 years newer than the Octy this seems very stange and a retrograde step. If I read the previous posts properly is it possible I could find a friendly dealer (or someone with the right software) and ask them to set the car up as if it were in Ireland ?

Edited by bazman57

I appreciate this is a late post to this subject but I have just gone from an Octy L&K to Yeti Elegance. When I picked up the Octy I was asked if I wanted just the front DRL's on or Front and Rear (which I chose). Having followed my wife when she was driving the Octy there was no doubt that having the rear DRL's active made it more noticeable (especially at the time of day when the auto light has not yet turned on). I know I could just as easily turn on the sidelights but what is the point of having auto lights and DRL's only to have to manually overcome shortcomings in the setup of the car. So, when I collected the Yeti I asked to have both front and rear active and was told "sorry, can only do the front". Considering the Yeti is 2 years newer than the Octy this seems very stange and a retrograde step. If I read the previous posts properly is it possible I could find a friendly dealer (or someone with the right software) and ask them to set the car up as if it were in Ireland ?

I think you should have what you want within the law. but having read the arguments I think you would be a tad safer with the rears off during the day, to preserve the contrast of your brake lights to drivers behind you. Most accidents are due to drivers pulling out or overtaking without seeing oncoming vehicles

It is very unlikely that a dealer will do it, since the Yeti is not Type Approved to have rear lights on as DRL's. Your only option will be to find someone with VCDS.

Personally I don't like the idea.

I have VCDS’d several Yeti’s but so far there is nothing in the coding for rear DRL’s.

Gizmo68 is quite right as regards VCDS see comments in this link more info LINK

HOWEVER! - Yes they can be activated by a dealer! (if they are interested / knowledgeable enough). It only took the technician a couple of minutes to do mine whilst in for a service recall item.

After a bit of research I found that it is only a software bite that requires to be activated. Ross Tech (VCDS) are not quite sure yet, on where the information is buried and therefore they currently don't offer the facility, Again, see the link above for more info.

I know some members ascribe to the view that they prefer not to have them on so as to enhance the brightness of the brake lights, but I prefer them on, as I think that "See and be seen" is a good maxim. Some countries already require this and manufacturers such as Volvo & Saab have been doing it for years plus anyone wishing to sell their brand to the Netherlands etc have had to modify their vehicle to do so.

So to Bazman57 and others who do want them on [and they are lawful!] Go find a good dealership with an excellent service section such as Simpsons Skoda (Preston & Colne - Lancashire).

Hope this helps...................Tony

• Like 1