1.8Tsi fuel light on after 280 miles

I guess this is the price to pay for the extra enjoyment / refinement of the petrol.

My old 1.9Tdi was doing around 450 miles round town.

I've stopped watching the fuel computer now and just watch the oil temp :giggle:

I guess this is the price to pay for the extra enjoyment / refinement of the petrol.

My old 1.9Tdi was doing around 450 miles round town.

I've stopped watching the fuel computer now and just watch the oil temp :giggle:

Ouch!

My 1.9TDI does 600-650 miles to the tank, and SWMBO's new Passat does 800 miles on it's 70L tank.

If I fill right up in the middle of a long run, I'm usually told I now have about 460 miles in the tank. The mpg is generally showing as 41 to 42 at that point.

But if I switch to the read-out when I've just driven up the road a block or two, it can be showing me I'm getting 11 m.p.g.!

Within minutes that is up into the twenties, then the thirties. It just all depends on what you are doing and where you are going.

I can usually get 300 miles with a mix of driving.

Towing a van it can be as low as 230 miles, but I've pushed it to 250 miles before putting in 55 litres. Always a bit hairy when towing a van trying to find a garage where you can drive through easily.

Have used my first tank of fuel in my 2.0 vrs, managed 310 miles light stll not on, but cost me 56.70 to fill back up, that was from full tank last fill up. Anyone wanna do the maths to see the mpg?? Cost of vpower was 119.9

Have to say, it is about what i was getting from my mk1 vrs, so cant grumble...

Have used my first tank of fuel in my 2.0 vrs, managed 310 miles light stll not on, but cost me 56.70 to fill back up, that was from full tank last fill up. Anyone wanna do the maths to see the mpg?? Cost of vpower was 119.9

Have to say, it is about what i was getting from my mk1 vrs, so cant grumble...

I make it 29.76 MPG, what type of driving were u doing? Why are u using Vpower, they run the same on 95 RON.

I make it 29.76 MPG, what type of driving were u doing? Why are u using Vpower, they run the same on 95 RON.

Mostly around town, but maybe 100 miles on motorway.

Hoping that will improve, but very similar to my mk1 per tank

I have always used vpower, my mk1 seemed to run better on it, so kept using it.

You think its a waste??

Mostly around town, but maybe 100 miles on motorway.

Hoping that will improve, but very similar to my mk1 per tank

I have always used vpower, my mk1 seemed to run better on it, so kept using it.

You think its a waste??

I'd try normal unleaded, I doubt it would reduce the MPG.

Back on topic (ie. 1.8 TSi).

I didn't choose the engine for fuel consumption since with my usage 10% or so extra mpg won't make any real difference over the course of a year after taking into account tax, insurance, servicing, depreciation etc. I chose it because I wanted some oomph, but didn't want the harsher ride of the VRs, and I am not planning to mess about with remapping etc.

First impressions after just a few hundred miles? I don't think I will be breaking any records for mpg. I took it out for a (reasonably spirited) run over the Mendips this morning (still not exceeding 4k rpm until I have got a few more miles under the bonnet). Computer said "34ish mpg".

The problem? What a fabulous engine. It's hard not to use the available power. I reckon this motor is going to be a lot of fun.

I am sure the 1.8 TSi will get better and settle in to the low 40s. We get high 30s in the TSI VRS with mixed driving low 40s on the A roads and that is flooring where possible but keeping just to the speed limits.

I have ordered the 1.8 TSi DSG and expect to get low 40s or even mid 40s, biuld week brought forward.

If one lives or drives a lot in the SE of England, ie the car park/road works/ accident prone partr of the UK, then 30 odd iie the Urban consumption figure is common in my experience.

I have to drive all over the UK and hence DSG whilst crawling on M25 10/20 mile queues, roll on start-stop.

Back on topic (ie. 1.8 TSi).

The problem? What a fabulous engine. It's hard not to use the available power. I reckon this motor is going to be a lot of fun.

I can guarantee it !!!

25mpg around town here, gets into 30's when out of town but 90% of my driving is local commutes. Only used v power from new so might try 95RON and see what happens.

I love driving mine on high revs. OK, the suspension could do with tightening up a touch but it never feels off balance. :rofl:

When I first got it, the ESP light spent half it's life flashing as I'd come from a Fabia 1.4 100bhp and it took a while to get use to all the extra grunt. Now, i wouldn't go back and may even look at the VRS next time.

Yes I have to say it's a superb motor. I'm certaintly not moaning about the MPG. Just came as a bit of a shock LOL.

To me the engine feels more like a 6 than a 4 .....

280 miles per tank is pretty poor. I think the worst I have managed is 350 but normaly get about 420 and mine is remapped.

280 and the light had 'just' come on. I have also been driving very gently. That however is with no runs whatsoever. About a 6 mile commute both ways. Start stop traffic and hills.

It says on my fuel cap to run on 98/99ron fuel. my mk1 octy vrs ran much better on 98 than 95. i had to put 95 in mine when i was in ireland & it ran noticably worse for it. back in uk & a tank of 98/99 & it was back to normal.I got better mpg on 98/99 too!

280 and the light had 'just' come on. I have also been driving very gently. That however is with no runs whatsoever. About a 6 mile commute both ways. Start stop traffic and hills.

Light usually comes on at about 380 - 400 miles for me, and fill up at about 400 - 420. Mind you I don't do many very short runs and seldom drive in heavy city traffic. Short journeys last winter saw the economy drop to 30mpg instead of the 37 - 40 mpg I usually get.

I usually use super unleaded unless the price difference is silly - don't notice a performance difference but its slightly more economical on super.

Light usually comes on at about 380 - 400 miles for me, and fill up at about 400 - 420. Mind you I don't do many very short runs and seldom drive in heavy city traffic. Short journeys last winter saw the economy drop to 30mpg instead of the 37 - 40 mpg I usually get.

I usually use super unleaded unless the price difference is silly - don't notice a performance difference but its slightly more economical on super.

I have been trying Tesco Momentum 99 fuel after they have been advertising it recently. It costs 5p a litre more but claims to make you car more economical.

They test an Audi TT 2.0 TSI and got an extra 16.8 bhp and 27 lb/ft plus an increase in fuel economy of 17.23%.

See attached pdf: http://www.tesco.com/momentum99/files/Tesco-Momentum-99-Fuel-Report.pdf

After I've filled up a few times I'll post an update, but the engine does seem to run more smoothly even after one tankful.

1.8TSi is the best engine under 3 litres that I have driven, and now as it is remaped by Shark, it just goes amazing for it's size. Don't care for consumption, worst i've had is 25mpg, best 45 mpg, around 35-38 mpg normal, it's all good for me :)

I have been trying Tesco Momentum 99 fuel after they have been advertising it recently. It costs 5p a litre more but claims to make you car more economical.

They test an Audi TT 2.0 TSI and got an extra 16.8 bhp and 27 lb/ft plus an increase in fuel economy of 17.23%.

See attached pdf: http://www.tesco.com/momentum99/files/Tesco-Momentum-99-Fuel-Report.pdf

After I've filled up a few times I'll post an update, but the engine does seem to run more smoothly even after one tankful.

Interesting report, and initially quite convincing.

I wonder, though, whether it is saying that Tesco 99 is great or that Tesco 95 is cr*p. I would like to see such a comprehensive test against, say, Shell 95.

Hi I was shocked when I first got mine as it did appear to like the juice a little too much. Now I regularly get 41mpg on my trip home from work which is mainly dual carriageway at up to 80mph. On a motorway trip on my holidays at speeds up to 65/70mph I actually got an average of 48mph on the computer over about 80 miles, very light right foot though. On a particularly spirited trip I saw 25mpg over 10 miles, so it is all about how you drive it. I love the 1.8TSi though. I get about 420 miles on a tank usually.