Some questions

With my Superb due in two weeks I was looking into the features a bit more.

The AFS headlamps - I take it the light is adjusting the pattern slightly as it says it changes for urban, motorway or even rain?

Also, the headlamps following the corners - how's current owners finding this, does it work, does it work well?

Edited by badbaz

With my Superb due in two weeks I was looking into the features a bit more.

The AFS headlamps - I take it the light is adjusting the pattern slightly as it says it changes for urban, motorway or even rain?

Also, the headlamps following the corners - how's current owners finding this, does it work, does it work well?

If you ever have cause to drive on unlit rural roads at night you'll not want to be without this after driving the Superb. The headlight beams move in relation to the direction of the front wheels and the superb's xenon lights are as good as anything I've driven.

Wait until you see the 'dance' the beams do when you switch them on in the dark for the 1st time (they are lining themselves up correctly) never failed to make me smile. If that sounds strange just wait until you try it.

Mark.

Wait until you see the 'dance' the beams do when you switch them on in the dark for the 1st time (they are lining themselves up correctly) never failed to make me smile. If that sounds strange just wait until you try it.

Too true, it's like the car is alive, :yes:

Totally agree with all the above. All those drivers who hated night driving should try the Superb's lights and their problems will be over.

Lights like these are usually only found in much more expensive motors (usually as a costly extra).

Had Xenons on my S4 back in 2001 and, yes, never failed to smile switching them on!

My Octy VRS (non Xenon) headlights are fantastic lights and I'll be impressed if the Superb ones are that much better!

I drive on unlit country roads all the time.

Anyone comment on the adaptive system?

I drive on unlit roads most of the time. The superb lights are very very good. The full beam is incredible. Like a rally car!

It gives you a lot of confidence driving at night. I have not notice many changes in "mode", so I am not sure if that adaptive function helps or not..

I've got a Superb SE on order... does it come with dancing lights?! And does it come with front fogs that light up when you turn??

No, the auto levelling system ('dancing lights) is only on xenon headlights.

Not sure about the cornering fogs?

You can really notice the Xenons doing their thing on A road roundabouts when travelling straight on, sweeping left as you enter the roundabout, right as you go round it and then left again on the exit....superb!

Agree with the comments about full beam and start up dance also, just amazing.

Before owning this car I would never have dreamt of "wasting" my money on Xenons, now I would hate to be without them.

Dan

If you put your foot down on the motorway you can see the beam altering a little , i totally agree the Superbs lights are awesome , i've driven lots of cars including many with xenons and nothing has come close imo

If you put your foot down on the motorway you can see the beam altering a little

What do you mean? As the nose rises the lights adjust their level?

I'm trying to find out exactly how the AFS system works. On the Superb micro site it says this:

Bi-Xenon headlamps with AFS (Adaptive Frontlight System) are not only visually attractive, they are also technically exceptional. The adaptive system is able to adjust the lighting in front of the car to the current driving conditions, while it can work in several different modes: extra-urban, urban and motorway. Further, AFS offers the “rain†functionality intended for driving in conditions of reduced visibility. In addition, the Bi-Xenon headlamps are equipped with rotary modules which illuminate turns as you drive through them.

So, AFS must be adjusting the beam pattern? It can't adjust the level upwards or that would affect other drivers. Obviously the rain suggestion could be activated through the rain sensor but to do what exactly? Maybe spread the beam. How does the car know urban/extra urban?

The statement is a bit vague - some technological explanation/diagrams would have been nice!!

It's a bit like saying it has an engine, it'll start and stop and may or may not use some fuel. We're not telling the size or power output etc :p

It explains it all in the Handbook under Adaptive headlights. :thumbup: The rain function comes on if the wipers are used for longer than 2 minutes. The urban function makes the dispersion of the cone of light wider and the width of the illumination shorter. It functions during certain set speeds!

What do you mean? As the nose rises the lights adjust their level?

I'm trying to find out exactly how the AFS system works. On the Superb micro site it says this:

:p

what skoda superb micro site ??

cheers Andy

It explains it all in the Handbook under Adaptive headlights. :thumbup: The rain function comes on if the wipers are used for longer than 2 minutes. The urban function makes the dispersion of the cone of light wider and the width of the illumination shorter. It functions during certain set speeds!

Cool, it'll be interesting to see it in action.

Thankyou Hillhound, I have been looking for this all evening also my actual brochure, which also explains fully how they operate. Pity they left this out of all the new brochures.

This should explain how the bi-xenon lights operate. Perhaps some of those who have made coments about the system will look at it, and learn.

D'Oh! I wasn't as impressed with the lights on mine as some have been. Very good but not as good as I'd been led to believe. Although I haven't had that much need to drive at night during the summer months. Just been out to the car to check and, lo and behold, travel mode was set to on and must have been since the car was delivered.

Ever feel stupid? :-)

Looking forward now to my next night drive.

Meering

No, the auto levelling system ('dancing lights) is only on xenon headlights.

Not sure about the cornering fogs?

The fog lights start up automatically when you start parking the car while driving at very slow speed, it is called parking assistant lights, which basically light up the near vicinity around the front of the car.

People have actually commented on these "fog" lights as it is illegal to have them on when there is no fog or reduced visibility: "Ma`m you are using your fog lights on a bright evening, that is not allowed!"

Patiently my wife explaines this "extra mode" the fog lights have and that they automatically switch off when accelerating. Suffice to say people are generally quite amazed B)

To tell you the truth I haven't noticed the "looking around corners" bit of the AFS headlights at all, or the adjustment for speed, rain etc .

However the fact that you can just change a setting on the MFD and the headlights are then adjusted for driving on the right hand side of the road is absolutely brilliant. No more messing about with bits of sticky tape every time you cross the channel. I wonder why all cars have not got it as standard.

John

I've got a Superb SE on order... does it come with dancing lights?! And does it come with front fogs that light up when you turn??

The SE does have the cornering lights on it and yes they do make a difference - its another nice touch on the Superb. You will however have to explain to people that 'no you dont have a faulty fog light - its supposed to go on & off like that' :giggle:

Enjoy it when it comes. When I first got mine, the seats were really firm, but now, 5/6 weeks & 2500 miles further on & its actually quite comfy. When my wife sat in it for the first time she hated the seats & said can you send it back? - Errr NO. She quite likes it now, but its difficult to get her to admit it.