How many people have winter tyres?

86 members have voted

1. 1. Have you got winter tyres?

• No - Don't feel the need
    • No - Not yet, but may do so
    • No - Use chains or "socks"
    • Yes

Until I've seen posts on here its never even occurred to me to consider getting dedicated winter tyres/wheels despite living in NE England most of my life. Is the current interest just due to the freak conditions last winter? How many people actually have these?

Similarly it's not something I've considered either as my Seat Toledo on standard sports tyres has managed surprisingly well making it up the Cairngorms in winter and a 360 mile round trip through some of the worst snow last year without getting stuck. The main problem in the Seat was grounding out and I can't see winter tyres helping much with that.

John

I have Audi A6 Alloys with winter tyres on

What alot of people dont realise is that winter tyres are very effective in wet and dry conditions as well as in snow, slush, mud etc..They have a softer compound as well as a different tread pattern and work well below 7C down to -20c (Depends on type of tyre)

So even if it doesnt snow, I will have better grip ALL winter AND my summer alloys and tyres get tucked away till spring time!!

the english are ignorant IMO( i am english so can say this :rofl: ) i found out this the first year i moved to germany and never put winter tyres on because it was an extra 'expense' that was 9 years ago, and ive used winter tyres every year since.

Until you have driven a car in the snow before and after with the winter tyres you just dont understand how much of a difference they make. It makes such a difference, it gets annoying when people slow you up

i found out this the first year i moved to germany and never put winter tyres on because it was an extra 'expense' that was 9 years ago, and ive used winter tyres every year since.

I was in Germany for a course with work last winter and every car I saw had winter tyres on. I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement over there, is this true?

I was in Germany for a course with work last winter and every car I saw had winter tyres on. I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement over there, is this true?

It's a legal requirement that you have tyres appropriate for the weather conditions. If you have an accident in winter and are running summer tyres, you are open for prosecution.

I am thinking of putting some all weather tyres on, such as Vredestein Quatrac 3s or Goodyear 4 All Seasons. The main thing for me is that summer tyres lose their elasticity below about 7 C, and so grip less well. It looks as though these all season tyres cope with that, without compromising their wear characteristics too much in warmer weather.

It's a legal requirement that you have tyres appropriate for the weather conditions. If you have an accident in winter and are running summer tyres, you are open for prosecution.

I am thinking of putting some all weather tyres on, such as Vredestein Quatrac 3s or Goodyear 4 All Seasons. The main thing for me is that summer tyres lose their elasticity below about 7 C, and so grip less well. It looks as though these all season tyres cope with that, without compromising their wear characteristics too much in warmer weather.

the all weathers are also a very good compromise. the problem i found with the winters is they give rubbish grip in the dry when its warmer and then you need to change back or wear them out. i had spare rims and used to change them overt alot.

Last year I felt the Sessantas lost grip due to hardening in cold weather, then the snow came and we could not get off our hill for 3 weeks!!!

So this year we bought winter tyres - remember many other countries it is law to have them and think we are daft. Mind you many countries limit tyres to 3mm minimum - funny that as after this point their performance is severely compromised in the wet- yet we allow much less as a legal minimum!

I bought some for the first time this year. I only plan to keep my car for 3 years so in theory, with two sets of tyres, I will not have to buy another tyre for this car (puncture depending). Last winter really opened my eyes when this country ground to a halt. I often go to Bavaria for breaks and our last winter was mild compared to there long harsh winters, They all have winter tyres and the despite the snow and ice they function fine and no trip is really a problem.

Also ill be damed if i have to push the car up my road again to get the car on the drive and face the 'Skoda rear windscrren' jokes again!

I hope they do make a difference, Im hoping that if we get the snow and ice again ill be able to drive where others

can't, maybe im optomistic and they will be no differnet to normal tyres but unless you try you will never know!

Seriously considering getting a set of winter wheels and tyres now. Just dropped the missus off at work and already with a temp of 6 degrees it's getting pretty slippy out. Even more noticeable now that i've got a shed load more torque :yes:

I've never used winter tyres before and was looking at mytres who do packages for the steelies as well. They list both 15" and 16" wheels. What is the best size to go for and are there any issues downsizing nearly 3"? Obviously the increase in sidewall height should keep the circumference the same but would the 15" wheels be suited to cars that had 17" alloys on and the 16" wheels suited to cars that had the 18" alloys on?

ps, they are not as cheap as I had hoped :(

I got some last year. Temps are already regularly below the 9 degrees at which summer tyres become less effective so I am putting them on this weekend. (plus the snow is already just 60 or 70 miles north of me) :wonder:

Seriously considering getting a set of winter wheels and tyres now. Just dropped the missus off at work and already with a temp of 6 degrees it's getting pretty slippy out. Even more noticeable now that i've got a shed load more torque :yes:

I've never used winter tyres before and was looking at mytres who do packages for the steelies as well. They list both 15" and 16" wheels. What is the best size to go for and are there any issues downsizing nearly 3"? Obviously the increase in sidewall height should keep the circumference the same but would the 15" wheels be suited to cars that had 17" alloys on and the 16" wheels suited to cars that had the 18" alloys on?

ps, they are not as cheap as I had hoped :(

You need 16" minimum on the vRS otherwise the wheels won't fit over your front brakes.

I got some secondhand Audi 16" wheels and fitted 205/55R16 91H winter rubber

P1050907a.jpg

Edited by Bogwoppit

I'm new to this and don't really understand all the different measurements required.

Could someone post the full spec as to what wheel is needed for a 2008 vRS?

Edited by Lou_O

I fitted the above wheels which are the following 16" x 6.5J, PCD 5 x112.5 and offset (ET50), this will be the same size as your spare and fit your vRS perfectly.

The 16" is the wheel diameter, the 6.5J is the wheel width, the PCD is the number of fixing holes and the diameter of the circle that those holes are on. The offset is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the face of the bolting plate.

Edited by Bogwoppit

I fitted the above wheels which are the following 16" x 6.5J, PCD 5 x112.5 and offset (ET50), this will be the same size as your spare and fit your vRS perfectly.

The 16" is the wheel diameter, the 6.5J is the wheel width, the PCD is the number of fixing holes and the diameter of the circle that those holes are on. The offset is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the face of the bolting plate.

Lovely job, thanks! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I think would get a set of winter tyres/wheels as long as the outlay on wheels isn't too expensive.

I'll keep an eye on eBay for an appropriate set. Presumably 16" wheels from A3, Golf, Bora, Passat(?) A4 etc will be the ones to go for?

As I live 375 metres up in the Peak District if there is any snow to be had then we get it. As a result I have always had both 4x4 in various guises and fitted Winter tyres. However, I think that my MkI Octy 4x4 estate fitted with Winter tyres has been as good if not better than anything else (Ford Maverick (HOS) Freelander ). I fully expect that my new Scout will be equally up to the job. I guess the benefit/expense of Winter tyres depends largely on where you live but in my experience if they prevent you from having an accident or from getting stuck and having to leave your car miles from home, the tyres will have more than paid for themselves.

Thanks bogwoppit, are the bolts the same or will I need new ones?

It's really for peace of mind for me as I'll be working away from Britain and my missus hasn't got that much experience in driving in the snow. Her commute to work is an hour down country lanes and last year she was so scared of driving I had to take her to work each day. Needless to say, the roads were atrocious in Lincs over the winter.

I got fed up getting stuck last winter, so decided to get some for this year. My problem was mainly getting started with the DSG gearbox, which is partly why when I replaced it I went for a manual.

They were put on on Tuesday because the forecasts said it was going to be a cold week, just in time for the light covering of snow on Wed morning.

I went for 16" wheels (because I have a VRS), but 6J width because this should allow chains to be fitted - not that I plan to do this.

I have just purchased my first set of winter £250 for 4steel wheels and 4 185 55 15 tyres for my fabia.

Will be putting them on near the end of november as it is not that cold in oldham yet. Cant wait to feel the difference

and drive around all the numpties that are still driving on barely legal summer tyres.

Andy

Thanks bogwoppit, are the bolts the same or will I need new ones?

It's really for peace of mind for me as I'll be working away from Britain and my missus hasn't got that much experience in driving in the snow. Her commute to work is an hour down country lanes and last year she was so scared of driving I had to take her to work each day. Needless to say, the roads were atrocious in Lincs over the winter.

The Bolts are the same if you get OEM alloys or 4 more steel spare wheels. I am also in Lincs and the roads were bad last year and most of them ungritted, which prompted me to be prepared this year.

Cheers mate, i was looking on mytyres for a set and they dont have the Octy II vRS TDi listed, just the vRS petrol and the "normal" 2.0 diesel. I emailed them to ask if either of these two were ok to use and they just replied saying that if your car isn't listed, then they wont fit. Is that true? wouldn't have thought there would be any difference between mine and the petrol vRS :wonder:

Cheers mate, i was looking on mytyres for a set and they dont have the Octy II vRS TDi listed, just the vRS petrol and the "normal" 2.0 diesel. I emailed them to ask if either of these two were ok to use and they just replied saying that if your car isn't listed, then they wont fit. Is that true? wouldn't have thought there would be any difference between mine and the petrol vRS :wonder:

No difference, they are all VAG standard fitting. From someone's helpful post "The wheel (steel) is a 6.5J x 16, the PCD is 5 x 112, the offset (ET) is 50, and the part number of the wheel is 1K0 601 027A"

No difference, they are all VAG standard fitting. From someone's helpful post "The wheel (steel) is a 6.5J x 16, the PCD is 5 x 112, the offset (ET) is 50, and the part number of the wheel is 1K0 601 027A"

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Putting my first set of winter tyres on next week- ordered via the dealer (Delmore of Inverness) as interestingly they couldn't be beaten on price. I'm looking forward to seeing how much difference they make. We certainly never got stuck last year on normal Goodyears - but as Mrs Scruffy is a GP in a rural highland area, I'd rather not leave anything to chance.