Fabia vRS on Top Gear tonight

Iwan

There was a re-run of the Fabia vRS v Mini Cooper race on Top Gear tonight. :cool:

Nice to see that again, particularly as i collected my new silver Fabia vRS yesterday and spent all day today driving it. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never seen the track session with our little beast urinating all over the Cooper before so was utterly thrilled to see it on tv tonight, so much so I shouted up to my Dad "My car's on Top Gear" :eek:

We both sat and watched the vRS cane round a track, and then he got up and said "That was pretty good wasn't it!" :cool:

Mega loads of understeer as he (Clarkson, not my Dad) pointed out though, still good to see the understated car getting prime time tv appearance's, wonder if they'll put them in The Italian Job if they ever make a sequel?

Hicksy :D

Never seen the TG one before. Thought it was interesting though that on the TG track, with a bigger weight penalty (not just the car - Clarkson is fatter than Hammond!!) the Furby had a bigger lead on the Cooper than on the 5th Gear test at Ty Croes........

Wonder how fast my Pastie 130 would make it round the track?.........

Have to save up for suspension mods first though, otherwise it'll "sail" (literally!!) off at the first hard corner.......... :D

only reason the mini got past was due to breaking in the first corner.

Yeah, I've heard MINIs have a habit of breaking.

To quote one disgruntled customer - "they don't look so good when there on the back of a tow truck for the third time"... :rofl:

Rob.

ooo you shud also take into account that the Mini is only a 4 seater and are wonderfull furby is 5

Also is there any new cars that could beat the Furby thats cheaper???

i.e that YRV Dihatsu fingy and isn't the 2litre Clio closly priced now???

Did anyone notice that the hamster seemed to be twitching the steering wheel an awful lot to controll the car, where cluckson just seemed to be more relaxed with the steering ?

Steve

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't see Top Gear last night, but I'll be sure to catch it tonight.

Having driven both cars, (I didn't buy a Mini), I can say that the Mini does feel more of a Go-Kart than the Fabia. That could be why someone commented on Mr hammond moving the wheel a lot more than Clarkson.

I seem to be reading everywhere that the Fabia VRS is not a well sorted car in the handling department. Do you think that a Eibach/Koni/KW suspension kit wouldhave allowed Clarkson to leave the Mini for Dust??

P.S. Phoned the dealer today. They've found me a car, up North, so I should get my hands on it this weekend...Yippee

Regards

have read various versions of this thread.the upset mini owners claiming it was 'only'the cooper and not the cooper s.and how unfair it was pitching 1.6 petrol against 1.9td1. the point was(as TG said) it was two similarly priced warm hatches but was diesel any good in warm hatch? obviously yes! as for handling,apart from track days how often will most people be thrashing through bends like that? the suspension set up is great.comfortable yet sporty enough.don't think i will notice understeer on the motorway in the wife's furby..surprising any annoying drivers whilst gently pulling away into the distance :D

I seem to be reading everywhere that the Fabia VRS is not a well sorted car in the handling department. Do you think that a Eibach/Koni/KW suspension kit wouldhave allowed Clarkson to leave the Mini for Dust??

Thats what some people say yes, but the handling IMO is nowhere near as bad as some people say. The main problems with it are, slightly lacking feel / weight in the steering (apparently a strut brace helps fix this) , a bit (but not that severe amount) of body roll through corners at speed, diving and pitching under hard braking/acceleration which makes the back end feel light under braking - dont do it on a corner whatever you do ;)

The handling is not bad but not class leading. With a strut brace and Eibach suspension the handling would IMO be very good, and quite probably up there with anything in its class then.

You do IMHO also need to sort the brakes. Even with standard power, the engine (both weight and speed) gives these brakes a VERY hard time. I would be interested to see if these rumoured Ferodo pads and a change in brake fluid alone would help - the main problem seems to be fade, but they do seem to lack in feel as well.

I think as standard though, its a decent handler and its fun to drive, and you do get used to its shortfalls - and once you've done that, you can drive quite fast (;)) around B-roads in it.