Uncomfortable drivers seat on Yeti

Andyajm2

I have covered nearly 6000 miles in my monster with no major problems until recently- I now have to do much longer journeys - 50 miles plus. I am experiencing severe back ache along with a numbing of my right leg. I have tried very many set ups on both the seating height - the reach and angle of the wheel and also the lumber support. Unfortunately without success. I have now taken to using my wife's little Vauxhall Agilla for these longer trips - without discomfort !.

I have full leather seating in my Yeti which is ultra comfortable when only doing 20 miles or so. Does anyone experience similar. The only minor relief I can get is if I sit on a cushion - not a high tec solution as it very easily slips from under me! Any advice as I am currently feeling as if I am turning into my Grandad

I have covered nearly 6000 miles in my monster with no major problems until recently- I now have to do much longer journeys - 50 miles plus. I am experiencing severe back ache along with a numbing of my right leg. I have tried very many set ups on both the seating height - the reach and angle of the wheel and also the lumber support. Unfortunately without success. I have now taken to using my wife's little Vauxhall Agilla for these longer trips - without discomfort !.

I have full leather seating in my Yeti which is ultra comfortable when only doing 20 miles or so. Does anyone experience similar. The only minor relief I can get is if I sit on a cushion - not a high tec solution as it very easily slips from under me! Any advice as I am currently feeling as if I am turning into my Grandad

I'm sorry to read about your discomfort. I have found the SE cloth seats very comfortable although it took a while to get the best position.

Yesterday I returned from Tenby, 150 miles non stop on average to poor roads and felt relaxed after the journey. I regularly do the round trip of 240 miles to Manchester in the day and suffer no ill effects.

I suspect that the seat height and position are critical to distance driving but I feel less tired driving the Yeti than I did driving my previous X-Trail. That had leather seats!

I have an SE, so no leather, and I think firmer seats, but the same shape. I do have the lumbar support as an optional extra.

I also had problems, but different to yours. I bought a "12V Massage Cushion" from Halfords, and this sits on top of a foam wedge which is 4cm thick at the back and tapers to a few mm at the front, and it measures 30cm front to back. The wedge just slightly alters the angle of the spine and the cushion makes the seat noticeably softer. I bought the wedge from a local indoor market stall, which sadly is no longer there. I also use a small, old cushion to supplement the lumbar support. This is not a commercial lumbar roll as I find those all far too big. With a bit of tweaking of seat position I managed to get pretty comfortable. However on long journeys I do feel like my neck is not quite in the right position - it seems as if the steering wheel is just very slightly off centre - does it seem like that to anyone else? My legs are not that long, a welcome side effect of the use of the Halfords cushion is that I no longer feel the seat behind the back of my knees.

I should say that I have had lower back and neck problems for years and as such it is very hard finding comfortable seats, whether for car or living room. The most comfortable car I tried was a second hand Saab, which I didn't buy for various reasons - now if I could have one of those seats in the Yeti it would be great!

I had a similar problem in my Octavia and found the solution by checking my driving position and making sure everything is 'in line and straight'.

That is to say, I found it all too easy to adopt a position when my legs were splayed and with the position of my right foot on the accelerator pedal, my right leg was offset; with the result the bolster of the seat was digging into the underside of my right thigh.

The other factor, that is relevant to the OP, is that as we drive along and brake and go around corners our body position shifts, often imperceptibly, on the seats and thus, particularly on long journeys, you end up in an 'awkward' position. The problem is exacerbated on leather seats that are naturally slippery.

So; two suggestions if I may;-

1. Adopt an ergonomically correct driving position, notably with straight legs. This guide from Recaro might be of help;- http://www.recaro.com/jp_en/product-areas/aftermarket-seats/company/expertise/ergonomic-comfort.html (scroll down and look for the 'seat training' link) and then

2. Invest in a CGLock as here;- http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/ I thought about this product a year or more ago, but only bought one a few weeks ago as I was fed up sliding around on the leather seats in my current Audi. Having fitted it and now used it for a short while I keep having one of those "Doh, (slaps forehead with palm of hand) now why didn't I buy this sooner", moments! It does exactly as it say on the tin!

Your problem may have little to do with the Yeti seats. Numbness in your right leg is a possible sign of sciatica. I would have my back checked urgently to avoid further complications i.e. full-fledged sciatica and/or hernia. Believe me, I'm just recovering from hernia and sciatica, and wish I had paid attention to the warning signs.

Your problem may have little to do with the Yeti seats. Numbness in your right leg is a possible sign of sciatica. I would have my back checked urgently to avoid further complications i.e. full-fledged sciatica and/or hernia. Believe me, I'm just recovering from hernia and sciatica, and wish I had paid attention to the warning signs.

Good point. More info can be found here;- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica but a relevant extract is this;-

Driving

As with sitting, the back should be properly supported. Correctly position wing mirrors to prevent having to twist the back. Foot controls should be squarely in front of the feet. If driving long distances, regular breaks should be taken to stretch legs.

'Trapped a nerve' in my back earlier this year and of all 3 cars the Monster was the most uncomfortable to drive :( Did find in opposition to that suggested above that aligning the body to the seat rather than pedals improved things no end. Think the Yeti has that old Audi foible of offset pedals.

Having just had the car serviced it's also come to light I have a fault on the drivers (and possible the passenger) front seat; too much play in the seat back, so awaiting spares on indefinite back order. :wonder: if this has had any thing to do with it.

Regards,

TP

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I have been this week for an Xray to check out my back- the doctor is questioning sciatica- something I would not have thought about without you guys. I have also placed an order for the Milotec back support. Thanks again - I will keep you informed.

Edited by Andyajm2

I had a similar problem in my Octavia and found the solution by checking my driving position and making sure

So; two suggestions if I may;-

1. Adopt an ergonomically correct driving position, notably with straight legs. This guide from Recaro might be of help;- http://www.recaro.co...ic-comfort.html (scroll down and look for the 'seat training' link) and then

2. Invest in a CGLock as here;- http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/ I thought about this product a year or more ago, but only bought one a few weeks ago as I was fed up sliding around on the leather seats in my current Audi. Having fitted it and now used it for a short while I keep having one of those "Doh, (slaps forehead with palm of hand) now why didn't I buy this sooner", moments! It does exactly as it say on the tin!

That is great information. I think I will get 2 of these. I don't think personally the wedges solve the problem of moving around in the seat, which I have noticed when I was in the leather Octavia & also my cloth polo.

Mike

BTW, a foam wedge of the sort described by Nawd2 can be bought at Argos - I had one in my Golf for taking my late, aged, pa out for trips - it incorporated a small cut out for the base of the spine, coccyx I guess, and made life much more comfortable for him. So far, my leather seats in the Yeti have proved comfortable - a friend, who is an Alexander Practitioner, always says how important it is to adjust height and seat angle so that the front of the seat 'base' is not pressing into the underneath of the thigh. That could cause numbness, I guess. I have pretty long legs so it's not a big problem for me, although I like to have seat raised.

- a friend, who is an Alexander Practitioner, always says how important it is to adjust height and seat angle so that the front of the seat 'base' is not pressing into the underneath of the thigh. That could cause numbness, I guess.

Pity that on the standard seats you can only adjust the height of the base. You need to order the electric memory seats before you can indicidually alter the height of the front and back of the seat base - i.e. the pitch.

Not wanting to come across as trying to flame the OP and/or others (everyone is different!) but I have to say that I find the SM's seats truly excellent for long distance driving; the best Ive ever had in any car infact and I do suffer from lower back issues.

Last Friday, I drove for just over 11 hours with just three 20 minute breaks and in September I did 22 hours in just over two days. I get out everytime with no aches or pains whatsoever! :thumbup:

Pity that on the standard seats you can only adjust the height of the base. You need to order the electric memory seats before you can indicidually alter the height of the front and back of the seat base - i.e. the pitch.

I agree that's a shame - my perception is the angle changes a tad as the seat is racked up and down, but not sure. I do almost wish mine had the electric seats, but there you go..cant have everything!

• Like 1

I have noticed the slipping down in the seat in my cloth polo today driving around south london. I think those CG locks will help me.

Can't wait to get my SM with its auto box. driving a manual is killing my back & legs. I gave up manuals because I used to get sciatica and an auto helps. Wasn't expecting to have to wait so long for a SM before I ordered mine.

All because I love my family - daughter 18 and learning to drive. No way will she be driving the SM. Insurance company wouldn't allow it anyway.emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

I have noticed the slipping down in the seat in my cloth polo today driving around south london. I think those CG locks will help me.

Can't wait to get my SM with its auto box. driving a manual is killing my back & legs. I gave up manuals because I used to get sciatica and an auto helps. Wasn't expecting to have to wait so long for a SM before I ordered mine.

All because I love my family - daughter 18 and learning to drive. No way will she be driving the SM. Insurance company wouldn't allow it anyway.emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

WOW - Mike is todays keenest thread poster! :p ;)