DSG quiet clicking sound, normal?

krko

Hello all,

First please take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSQyq54W3Zc

In the video, there's a moving part that makes click/clank sound. I think I can hear this part from my DSG, especially in low gears at low speeds.

I was at the workshop today and took the car for a ride with their chief mechanic and he said that is exactly what I hear and that it's perfectly normal.

He even showed my some internal tech papers from VW in Germany that stated this sort of sound is perfectly normal to hear under the circumstances I described.

I must say it's been there from day one. It's very quiet and I can only hear it when driving without music or other cars around me. I don't feel it, I only hear it. The gears shifts are very smooth.

My question, has anyone else heard this with his DSG?

I found this post http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/140285-new-octy-1-4-tsi-dsg-clunking-noise-on-1st-and-second-gear/ about clicking DSG but it turned out to be something else. Also found a bunch of threads on other sites saying that sort of sound is normal... I asked a friend with DSG if he heard it and he said his DSG is silent, however today when driving in his car I could hear it. Now he hears it too and hates me :( I don't know what to think...

krko

Edited by krko

Pardon? What was that?

as

Us Diesel DSG drivers do not appear to have this problem

cheers

M

That's because you are deafened by the tractor lump under the bonnet :giggle:

Do the latest diesels still have the wet clutch 6 speed? If so that may deaden the noise.

For the record - never heard it on my 1.8 DSG even with the windows open.

That's because you are deafened by the tractor lump under the bonnet :giggle:

Do the latest diesels still have the wet clutch 6 speed? If so that may deaden the noise.

For the record - never heard it on my 1.8 DSG even with the windows open.

The 1.6 gets the 7 speed, the 2 litres get the 6 speed wet clutch version

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

First please take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSQyq54W3Zc

In the video, there's a moving part that makes click/clank sound. I think I can hear this part from my DSG, especially in low gears at low speeds.

I was at the workshop today and took the car for a ride with their chief mechanic and he said that is exactly what I hear and that it's perfectly normal.

He even showed my some internal tech papers from VW in Germany that stated this sort of sound is perfectly normal to hear under the circumstances I described.

I must say it's been there from day one. It's very quiet and I can only hear it when driving without music or other cars around me. I don't feel it, I only hear it. The gears shifts are very smooth.

My question, has anyone else heard this with his DSG?

I found this post http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/140285-new-octy-1-4-tsi-dsg-clunking-noise-on-1st-and-second-gear/ about clicking DSG but it turned out to be something else. Also found a bunch of threads on other sites saying that sort of sound is normal... I asked a friend with DSG if he heard it and he said his DSG is silent, however today when driving in his car I could hear it. Now he hears it too and hates me :( I don't know what to think...

krko

my dsg octavia also makes a clicking sound, only when slowing down approaching trafic lights etc, sometimes cant hear anything,mileage 71,000,still changes perfectly

my dsg octavia also makes a clicking sound, only when slowing down approaching trafic lights etc, sometimes cant hear anything,mileage 71,000,still changes perfectly

So I guess it is normal... :)

• 6 months later...

Sometimes I can hear a noise(I don't really know how to describe it, it's like very small bell which can sound in high frequencies!!!) when the car is at P, R or N. In D and S is a quite similar and always when it's stopped (e.g. traffic lights). Sometimes I can hear it when moving really slowly. All the above when no radio is on and when window is open.

When I asked at the dealer they say this is common, but I have never test another car.

Can anyone hear any such noise?

Sounds like a car horn is blaring away for most of the video. Am I supposed to hear a click over that?

Sounds like a car horn is blaring away for most of the video. Am I supposed to hear a click over that?

If you are talking about my comments, I cannot hear it in the video.

My post is referring to ringing??? I really cannot describe it in english.

That'll be quite normal. You can see the gear selectors moving from side to side when the clicking sound is made. It is the gearbox pre-selecting the next gear in the sequence ready for the clutch packs to do their thing.

Ian