THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

.... and then you have a headline article (pages 2 & 3) in this week's Fleet News as here;- http://view.digipage.net/?id=fnesept11

and the 1st advert on TV for Winter Tyres that I have seen with Continental sponsoring ITV1's 71 degrees North program.

this is all guaranteed to get the (snow) ball rolling for Winter Tyres! :giggle:

Just ordered a set of these, had the same tyres on a Golf last winter and they were great.

"Steel wheels with winter tyres (LK 5 x 112.00 x 57.00)Nankang Snow SV-2 205/55 R16 94VSkoda OCTAVIA RS 2.0 TFSI 1Z 1984ccm 147 kW 09.2005"

Around £115 a corner including wheels and delivery.

Mytyres seem about the cheapest for steel wheels and Tyres - has anybody used them - its a lot of money to spend if you haven't dealt with the company before.

I got my Yokohama W.drive winter tyres 9no wheels) from them last December; needed a little chasing as they were delivering to my office whilst paid on Credit Card registered to home (not unusual for 1st time on-line credit card purchase), but nothing problematic. Pretty much as good as many on-line companies.

have you looked at http://www.tyremen.co.uk/? They are in UK at least.

Mytyres seem about the cheapest for steel wheels and Tyres - has anybody used them - its a lot of money to spend if you haven't dealt with the company before.

I had my set of 4 wheels & tyres from Mytyres delivered earlier this week.

Last year I ordered a set for the other half's car but cancelled when they asked for proof of address (utility bill etc) as I was suspecting a rat, suspicious of identity theft type sfuff. However, after talking to/mailing them I realised they were just protecting themselves from fraud and that they had experienced quite a lot in the past. Satisfied with their intentions I sent proof of address as requested, however it was too late to re-instigate my order and the prices had risen significantly so I sourced them elsewhere.

This year, and this time for my car, I placed another order and must have still been on their system (even though I didn't order anything last winter) and everything went smooth as silk. I ordered online, paid with credit card, recieved a confirmation e-mail with DPD tracking information (one reference no for each wheel), and the tyres appeared earlier than expected.

I'd have no problem recommending them or ordering again - just don't be put off by providing proof you actually live where you say you do.

This year, and this time for my car, I placed another order and must have still been on their system (even though I didn't order anything last winter) and everything went smooth as silk. I ordered online, paid with credit card, recieved a confirmation e-mail with DPD tracking information (one reference no for each wheel), and the tyres appeared earlier than expected.

I'd have no problem recommending them or ordering again - just don't be put off by providing proof you actually live where you say you do.

I had 4 Nokian ttyres delivered from them 2 years ago for my Octavia and then 2 weeks ago I got a set of Vredesteins from mytyres for my yeti. Again they arrived about four days earlier than forecast. All very smooth and easy to do. :thumbup:

Just a quick question I've got a MY 10 Elegance and may change the car next year for a vRS is there a wheel size that's compatible with both as I don't want to spend money on them this year & should the money become available for a vRS next year, fork out again for another set of rims & tyres for the vRS.

Ta.

Just a quick question I've got a MY 10 Elegance and may change the car next year for a vRS is there a wheel size that's compatible with both as I don't want to spend money on them this year & should the money become available for a vRS next year, fork out again for another set of rims & tyres for the vRS.

Ta.

I think you'll find you will be OK as the vRS, whilst it has 18s with 225/40 18 tyres as OE fit these days, used to come up to around 2008 with 17s and 225/45 17 tyres. The 18s were an option.

I used to run my '07 vRS with 225/40 18s during the summer and 225/45 17s in the winter to give 'softer handling' (al be it with summer tyres, but would now be fitting winter tyres instead).

I actually sold my set of 17" Pegasus alloys to an Octavia Scout owner from the West coast of Scotland for him to use a set for his winter tyres!

Well, I'm running on 17"ers, but I don't mind dropping to 16" if necessary.

I've been looking and I can't seem to find fully fitted wheels for around £600 delivered. emoticon-0104-surprised.gif and I can't seem to find any 17" ones at all.

try www.tyremen.co.uk :thumbup:

Can anyone tell me if 16inch steel wheels of a vw transporter van are the correct fitment for vrs,been offered some at a good price but local tyre place gave me some waffel about them being to heavy and wheel nuts won't fit .

Can anyone tell me if 16inch steel wheels of a vw transporter van are the correct fitment for vrs,been offered some at a good price but local tyre place gave me some waffel about them being to heavy and wheel nuts won't fit .

T4 ones will fit I think.

Got my Wr G2's form mytyres today.

They shipped 4 out week before last, 2 arrived next day, 2 got lost by DPD. Fair play to Mytyres they shipped another 2 out without question.

What is scary (and it did not affect me) is the price per tyre has risen by £20/ea in the last 2 weeks.

Now to get them fitted to the winter alloys and wait.

Ta.

Just to be clear since your question doesn't seem to have been explicitly answered;

The smallest wheels which will fit the vRS are 16's (these are needed to clear the larger brakes on the vRS).

Any 16's (or larger) which fit your current elegance will fit a vRS.

Anyone heard of Fullrun winter tyres? (18s?)

Ive got a free set coming (dont know the model number yet) and cant find any..hmm

Ermm, this doesn't look too promising.

on the up side, the ditch you end up in will probably be full of snow so at least you will have a soft landing.