THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

I think youll find that 99% of the car buying public wouldnt be bothered to look at what tyres were fitted

So fitting All Season ones wouldnt be noticed...so a good call

True...  some new Land Rovers come standard with all-seasons as well as the 4x4 Fiat Pandas. I'm sure the owners of those have no idea and will replace the tyres with whatever they find on mytyres on the internet...  and then they perhaps (after a puncture and having replaced a tyre) have three grippy tyres on three corners in the winter and one summer tyre with no grip...  That will really go down well. 

Well all seasons are basically rubbish at either... that is why.  They are so-so summer tyres and so-so winter tyres. So you are not doing yourself a massive favour fitting them in my book. Yes, they are slightly better in winter than summers, but that is about the only gain you get from something as compromised as all season tyres.

Presumably you have tried all-season tyres for an extended period and compared them with winter tyres (and summer tyres) to hold this opinion?

My experience of all-season tyres is that they can be competent in a range of conditions; I have Hankook Optimo 4S and Vredestein Quatrac 3 (on different cars) and have been impressed how they have been able to go everywhere that our car with winter tyres has gone, (Vredestein Snowtrac 3). Similarly, I have been impressed how good these all-season tyres have been in British summers. I think they're a faff-free option for people who don't want to optimise for extremes of conditions and, let's face it, that applies to most of the population.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This might be of use for anyone considering their position with their insurance company when fitting winter tyres.

I recently contacted Skoda UK to get an official response for my Scout, here's what they replied with:-

Thank you for your email dated 14 December 2014 regarding your ŠKODA Octavia Scout.

I have checked with our Technical Department and they have confirmed that on this particular vehicle you can drop down to an 'H'
speed rating.

With regards to load ratings if using the current tyre size (225/50 R17 94W) this cannot be altered and the current load rating
of '94' should be adhered to.

Should you wish to drop a size and fit a different rim you can fit a 6J x 16 ET50 wheel rim fitted with a 205/55 R16 91H tyre.

I've just fitted 6J x 16 ET50 steels (OEM) with Conti TS850's - 205/55 R16 91H

This is the first time I have ever had a spare set of wheels with Winter tyres so cant comment on how good they are but at least my proteus alloys wont have to endure the winter months now.

Today the Nokian WRD3's were used in anger up at Llyn Brenig North Wales.

I took the video while conditions were still good. It got quite scary later mainly due to the sheet ice on hills that even good winter tyres don't like.

Excuse my rubbish video.

Edited by mr rooney
  • Like 1

Just bought a set of 16" steels with Nokian winters from mytyres.   Only two arrived so far - hoping for quick delivery of the others. 

Anyone know if the Caddy/T5 hub covers will fit the mytyres supplied wheels?  

I'm looking for the little black ones that just cover the hub, not the fake alloy look stuff.  

put winter tyres on last week day after boxing day bought these last year

never used winters before and im gob smacked

just budget tyres £40 each and the traction on snow and ice is amazing

awdx5w.jpg

120toa0.jpg

2mettlh.jpg

Today the Nokian WRD3's were used in anger up at Llyn Brenig North Wales.

I took the video while conditions were still good. It got quite scary later mainly due to the sheet ice on hills that even good winter tyres don't like.

Excuse my rubbish video.

True. Friction tyres can't cope with sheet ice too well, but sheet ice has only happened to me once in over 15 years of winter driving round here. I do run the full Nokian studded tyres on the other car though - it's powerful/FWD and needs all the grip possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just refitted my winter wheels and the black steel wheels make the dark grey car look a bit drab! 

Anyone know what the pressures should be on winter tyres?  16" steelies on a Superb if that makes a difference.

Doesn't matter, just found the answer.

Yes..I have them on at the moment

Absolutely superb winter tyre

I got them back in 2010 for £46 each!!

This is the 4th winter on the car...Same tyres!!

That's great to hear, I have 2 of them on order for the front of my Volvo, 245/45/18 XL,  €124 each delivered.

??

I don't want to debate the whole 4 x winter tyres versus only 2 x winter tyres. I'm only putting winters on the front and am aware of the "risks"

Sorry for the confusion.

I don't want to debate the whole 4 x winter tyres versus only 2 x winter tyres. I'm only putting winters on the front and am aware of the "risks"

Sorry for the confusion.

You are aware of the risks (and have seen the videos of what happens in a corner?!) and yet you still are mixing summer and winter tyres?!?!  Gosh. Your insurance company will have a field day if you smash your car and find out you had tyres on like that. Really a very silly thing to do (as numerous videos on YouTube will show you).

• Like 2

Don't worry, Johann, he's got a Volvo.................................................................................... :x  :wall:

Exactly Graham...  so more weight and even MORE of a pendulum effect when the rear breaks loose, as the front has grip and the back has...  ZERO grip.

• Like 2