Heated washer nozzles

:yes:

Heated washer jets wont stop the screenwash freezing, but it if as frozen how full is the bottle? Tip in some warm water might help, or a hairdryer on bottle or park the car somewhere warm.

what like the south of France ?

lol

Andy

Thanks guys, unfortunately I think the water is frozen between the nozzles and the bottle as the bottle is free of ice. Really looking forward to a 5 hour journey home without screenwash!

Hi,

I've had the same recently & found that the longest it took until it melted/started working again was about 1 hr. The heat from the engine bay does the job eventually.

Also I found just having the wipers on nearly all the time does "rub" the screen fairly clean.... but you do have to suffer a smeary patch for a while. if the screen is dry then it works well enough to see... I guess depends on how good the wipers are).

rgds

• Administrators

Simon it's not just you.

It's amazing on this car that the screen wash just fouls up.

It's the only think I don't like. AS soon as it drops below -1 I just get foam and ooze out of my jets or nothing at all.

I am running close to a full concentrate mix. I would be full concentrate but I can't actually get the washer jets to squirt to empty the tank.

Driving around Brum this weekend in 3" snow, the 4x4 was f'ing brilliant, gripping and driving around stranded cars with ease. I had to keep stopping to squirt screenwash out of a drinks bottle... thats just not right.

I did get the jets going briefly on the M42. I stopped for 30 mins and sprayed hot water / freezy spray stuff into them, got a flow and it lasted for a while using every 5 mins or so, then they stopped again.

Last night 0 degrees, they work, this morning at -2 they just ooze.

That an the headlight stalks just get stuck in the cold too... a poor design imho.

As to fixing, not sure. I do wonder if there is some sort of vortex under the bonnet which effectively windchills the feeder pipe.

Last Ssaturday I was around Cannock and it was -10C and the washes never froze once and the car has registerd as low as -14C on the way to work and the washers still worked on the motorway.

I am using 500ml Decasol to 1500ml Water and the bottle and washers have yet to freeze and none of my cars have heated jets.

The washer bottle is on ther right hand wing, so I wonder if removing either the wheel arch liner or under tray would give access so either the bottle can be removed and thawed out or sufficent access is gained to alow the pipework to be thaw out. The heated jets only heat the jets and do nothing for the rest of the system which is why I think it is such a waste of money.

I am using 500ml Decasol to 1500ml Water and the bottle and washers have yet to freeze and none of my cars have heated jets.

That sounds like a good solution (no pun intended!). The thing is that it's no good at all putting such a mix into the reservoir unless you pump it through until you're sure it's filled all the pipework and passed through both jets.

Ray

I haven't got heated nozzles. I am using Halfords ready mixed and I've had no problems with freezing and here in Bolton it's as cold as anywhere in England.

Graham

That sounds like a good solution (no pun intended!). The thing is that it's no good at all putting such a mix into the reservoir unless you pump it through until you're sure it's filled all the pipework and passed through both jets.

Ray

We all knew the bad weather was coming and I know you need to pump out the old which is why I suggested a way of flushing it and thawing the lines :wonder:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lads my headlight washers came out to wash then wud not go back in when the snow was here they finally went back in but are broke now nothing happens when i wash windscreen , this this happen to any 1 else ???

Hi Lads my headlight washers came out to wash then wud not go back in when the snow was here they finally went back in but are broke now nothing happens when i wash windscreen , this this happen to any 1 else ???

The headlight washers only comes out on the fifth time you wash the windscreen. Try to wash the screen a couple of times more to see if they pop out...

/P

Edited by perka

I thought it was the 1st and then the 5th?

I would have also thought the mechanism was seperately fused, if it works by motors?

You are right about the 1st and then every 5th. But I think they are pushed out by the pressure of the washers. Then when the pressure dissapears they retract because the mechanism is spring loaded.

It still may be separtely fused if there is a separate pump for the headlight washers...

/P

On the Octavia's when the headlamp washers freeze and you continue to use your windscreen washer (as you do) it blows the headlamp washer fuse (20amp). I don't know where this fuse is in the Superb but it should be easy to find.

Hope this helps.

On the Superb it is fuse 36 in the dash fuse board - 20A.

Sounds really obvious but make sure the lights are on when trying the washers - every 1st and 5th pull on the wiper stalk will set them off.

Also make sure the washer arms aren't frozen into the bumper or they won't pop out.

Hi Lads my headlight washers came out to wash then would not go back in when the snow was here they finally went back in but are broke now nothing happens when i wash windscreen

If none of the washing works, it's the pump fuse as above. If the screenwash works but the headlight washer doesn't, check that the relevant pipe is still connected behind the bumper (headlight washing only works with the headlights on, as suggested above).

Ray

Hi lads thanks for replies..... the windscreen washes fine only the headlight 1 dont i will check the fuse tomoro....thansk again

another Q the memory seats i find it hard to set , i have to have the seat in an all most upright position then adjust slightly , if the back of the seat is anyway back towards the boot it dont set ....... maybe a recall to happen. any 1 else find this ?

Hi lads thanks for replies..... the windscreen washes fine only the headlight 1 dont i will check the fuse tomoro....thansk again

another Q the memory seats i find it hard to set , i have to have the seat in an all most upright position then adjust slightly , if the back of the seat is anyway back towards the boot it dont set ....... maybe a recall to happen. any 1 else find this ?

Hi mate. The seat memory only works if the seat back is near vertical, I think on an earlier post someone mentioned 102 degrees as max angle for seat memory to work

Hi mate. The seat memory only works if the seat back is near vertical, I think on an earlier post someone mentioned 102 degrees as max angle for seat memory to work

Thats correct, its for safety reasons. That angle is what VAG have determined is the maximum angle at which the seatbelts and airbags are efficient at. I had no problem getting a comfortable driving position within the limits set by the seat memory, it took a while though. The limit is the same across the whole VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley) so its not just us.

Hi lads yes it was the fuse you mentioned dstev2000 thanks again mate just took the ciggy fuse and put into headlight washer 1 , no spares

on the memory seat setting thanks for replies lads.

Jezus Mcshape just as well i bought 4 lol the cold snap is back here in Ireland -2 at the Mo and snow on the way Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr more fuses to be fitted so lol