Quality wireless routers - can anyone recommend one....

Brimma

......that won't keep dropping out on a regular basis?

I'm currently using an old Linksys WKRG (or something similar to that), which keeps losing access, meaning unplugging the lead (which sometimes cures it), disconnecting the Virgin Media broadband box (which sometimes cures it), or rebooting the whole system and unplugging the power lead to the PC (if all else fails)

I'd really like something reliable, which will hold a connection, without having all the issues mentioned above

Any suggestions?

I'd normally recommend NetGear or Linksys, guessing as you're having issues with a Linksys you'd not want another one. I've had Belkins in the past and won't go near them again as they were great when they worked but I was forever taking them back to the shop... after the third one packed up I swapped for my current Linksys which I've had no problems with

I don't mind trying any make, so long as it's reliable and doesn't keep dropping out

If anyone mentions a make could they state the model number as well please, as there appears to be hundreds to choose from

Cheers

......that won't keep dropping out on a regular basis?

I'm currently using an old Linksys WKRG (or something similar to that), which keeps losing access, meaning unplugging the lead (which sometimes cures it), disconnecting the Virgin Media broadband box (which sometimes cures it), or rebooting the whole system and unplugging the power lead to the PC (if all else fails)

I'd really like something reliable, which will hold a connection, without having all the issues mentioned above

Any suggestions?

Hi Brimma!

A recent review by PC Advisor magazine came to an amazing conclusion. Pitted against other sub £100 routers, the TP-Link TD-W8950ND came out as the Best Buy. The router was the cheapest of all those tested (only £31 inc VAT at that time but a quick Google search and you will find it cheaper!) and it is wireless N (lite). The review is well worth reading and I have included a Link to that review and to the other reviews of the routers that it was tested / compared with:

TP-Link TD-W8950ND

REVIEWS

Hope this helps somewhat........smiley-computer012.gif

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

Can you define "dropping out"? I guess you mean the router seems to drop off the internet, but your PC's connection to the router is fine (wired?)

Some routers are better at certain areas than others, for example, some have the best wireless range, but not necessarily the fastest, etc.

Normally, an old Linksys router is ultra-reliable, and I can have mine on and won't need to reboot it or disconnect any lead for several months on end. I seem to recall virgin media set top boxes were unreliable for good broadband, and you'd be better off with a dedicated cable modem and not using your TV set top box.

All I'm saying is it might be good identifying where the real problem lies before you start swapping stuff out as you may be changing a component that isn't responsible for your dropouts :)

Hi Brimma!

A recent review by PC Advisor magazine came to an amazing conclusion. Pitted against other sub £100 routers, the TP-Link TD-W8950ND came out as the Best Buy. The router was the cheapest of all those tested (only £31 inc VAT at that time but a quick Google search and you will find it cheaper!) and it is wireless N (lite). The review is well worth reading and I have included a Link to that review and to the other reviews of the routers that it was tested / compared with:

TP-Link TD-W8950ND

REVIEWS

Hope this helps somewhat........smiley-computer012.gif

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

Excellent review, and excellent value - thanks :thumbup:

Thanks Xav - in response...........

Can you define "dropping out"? I guess you mean the router seems to drop off the internet, but your PC's connection to the router is fine (wired?)

I can be surfing on my netbook in the front room with a connection without problem, and for no apparent reason the connection can just go

SWMBO can sometimes have a similar problem on the desktop which it is wired to. Unplugging the lead at the back of the Linksys and plugging it back in can sometimes cure it, and the connection will come back immediately. Other times that won't work, and we end up having to close the whole system down, and disconect it from the power supply. We then have to unplug the lead, fire the system back up, then when it's up and running, plug the lead back in - all a huge pain and time consuming.

Normally, an old Linksys router is ultra-reliable, and I can have mine on and won't need to reboot it or disconnect any lead for several months on end. I seem to recall virgin media set top boxes were unreliable for good broadband, and you'd be better off with a dedicated cable modem and not using your TV set top box.

We are using a dedicated Virgin cable modem, not a set-top box

I can be surfing on my netbook in the front room with a connection without problem, and for no apparent reason the connection can just go

I.e. your wireless connetion is still good - you're still connected to the Linksys router but the internet is no longer accessible?

SWMBO can sometimes have a similar problem on the desktop which it is wired to. Unplugging the lead at the back of the Linksys and plugging it back in can sometimes cure it, and the connection will come back immediately.

"Lead at the back of the Linksys". Which one is this? The network lead from the linksys to your desktop?
Other times that won't work, and we end up having to close the whole system down, and disconect it from the power supply. We then have to unplug the lead, fire the system back up, then when it's up and running, plug the lead back in - all a huge pain and time consuming.
Which lead is unplugged now before firing the system back up?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand your setup :)

Do you have wireless encryption on? Have you logged onto the Linksys router? If so, it's worth checking what it says in the logs or, if when one of you loses the internet (say your netbook in the lounge) the other (desktop) can still access the internet, do you get anything in the logs then that could help explain?

We are using a dedicated Virgin cable modem, not a set-top box

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

I.e. your wireless connetion is still good - you're still connected to the Linksys router but the internet is no longer accessible?

"Lead at the back of the Linksys". Which one is this? The network lead from the linksys to your desktop?

Do you have wireless encryption on? Have you logged onto the Linksys router? If so, it's worth checking what it says in the logs or, if when one of you loses the internet (say your netbook in the lounge) the other (desktop) can still access the internet, do you get anything in the logs then that could help explain?

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Had the same problem a few weeks ago , Virgin linked to the Netgear Modem they supplied only a year old , kept droping interner although plugging virgin cable direct to laptop no problem , phoned thenm up and said had tried all the normal things and suggested it was a faulty the faulty witreless modem , they sent a replavemnet Linksys New one by post the next week . Now all up and rumnning fine .

I hate wireless with a passion!..

ive definately found that the wireless cards in machines are just as crap as routers and can be very sensitive to drivers.

I can reccomend a draytek 2820n as im sure others on this forum can too.. its not cheap but its been pretty much rock solid for me (bar occasionally needing to switch wireless channels dependant on whos moved in/out of the surrounding flats.

I would say Netgear, possibly Draytek if money is no object, anything other than Belkin.

I bought a Belkin Play Max + USB adaptor and it's possibly the worst the worst I've ever bought, it regularly drops the connection (both wired & wireless), the USB adaptor is a right pain in the arse to install as well.

I'm using the wired connection at the moment and it seems to be holding steady for the time being, but I'll never buy another Belkin router.

I'm not sure that it's not the connection with the Linksys router which is disappearing TBH

The lead which seems to clear it sometimes is actually the power lead, seems to 'reboot' the Linksys if that's possible

If unplugging the power from the Linksys doesn't work, I have to power everything (PC, the lot) down and unplug from the mains. I then have to unplug the power lead from the back of the Linksys before powering back up. When everything else is powered up, I then have to put the power lead back into the Linksys

Ethernet cable from back of Virgin Media broadband modem to back of Linksys, then another ethernet cable from back of Linksys to back of desktop PC

Do you know how old the router is? Only Linksys come with 3 years warranty. I had one that kept 'dropping' out as you say and they replaced it no problem 2 years and 10months into the warranty.

Other than that I would say another linksys or netgear router.

Do you know how old the router is? Only Linksys come with 3 years warranty. I had one that kept 'dropping' out as you say and they replaced it no problem 2 years and 10months into the warranty.

Other than that I would say another linksys or netgear router.

I think it's more than 3 years old, and I can't even remember where I got it from now :S

Might try to see if Virgin Media will present me with one of theirs ;)

Might try to see if Virgin Media will present me with one of theirs ;)

They should do tbh,

If yo do need to buy your own I'd stick with Linksys tbh

Unless you got draytek money lol

Avoid belkin at all costs.

I've set up many makes and models and linksys are about the most reliable followed by netgear :thumbup:

Lots of useful info coming in thanks...............I think I'll avoid Belkin :giggle:

Will ring Virgin in the morning and see if they'll oblige - the units on their website look pretty smart (although that doesn't necessarily mean they'll work)

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

Make sure the Linksys router has the latest firmware installed. Often glitches occur in firmware versions that are rectified in later releases. Visit the Linksys web site.

If the Router has a standard screw on aerial get a better one. The Router manufacturers supply the cheapest (which generally means least powerful) aerial they can get away with.

Nine times out of ten drop out problems can be resolved with one or both of these actions.

Purely from a WIFI perspective using something like Inssider will give you an idea of what channels are being used within broadcast proximity to your laptop/pc etc

If you can find a free channel clear that doesnt have any channels used either side of it that helps!

Think pretty much everthing else has been covered by previous postsemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Belkin and Draytek user and happy with both emoticon-0148-yes.gif

As well as updating the firmware, you could try some custom firmware on your linksys (depending on the exact model). I'm running tomato firmware on mine and it's rock solid. DD-WRT is another custom firmware pretty good out there.

If you have to disconnect your PC sometimes for it to come back on, that sounds strange. When you next lose internet on your PC, check with your netbook wirelessly if that's also lost it.

If you sometimes reboot the desktop without touching the router at all, then I doubt it's a router problem (unless it's run out of dhcp addresses in the lease). Again, I presume your wireless is encrypted? It's worth looking at the logs / see how many devices are connected to your router when the net gets iffy.

I can reccomend a draytek 2820n as im sure others on this forum can too.. its not cheap but its been pretty much rock solid for me (bar occasionally needing to switch wireless channels dependant on whos moved in/out of the surrounding flats.

My 2820n (not had it that long) seems to be behaving well, and replaced my 2800vg (only changed as the 2800 series could not support fast throughput when I changed to LLU).

As well as updating the firmware, you could try some custom firmware on your linksys (depending on the exact model). I'm running tomato firmware on mine and it's rock solid. DD-WRT is another custom firmware pretty good out there.

If you have to disconnect your PC sometimes for it to come back on, that sounds strange. When you next lose internet on your PC, check with your netbook wirelessly if that's also lost it.

If you sometimes reboot the desktop without touching the router at all, then I doubt it's a router problem (unless it's run out of dhcp addresses in the lease). Again, I presume your wireless is encrypted? It's worth looking at the logs / see how many devices are connected to your router when the net gets iffy.

+1 for Tomato. I've got a WRT54GL, and I've just checked my uptime - 63 days, and I think that's only because of a powercut.