As if I dont have enough points?

ROS53Y

Well now we have had the barbecue, let me just thank the OP for bringing to our attention that there are different speed limits for vans on dual carriageways.

He is a little bit miffed that he will get points for this, but accepts now that this is the result of being 11 mph over the limit and not 1mph as he originally thought.

Looks like he is going to spend the next ?years religiously adhering to the limits of our highways. :doh:

As for speed awarness courses being a source of revenue....there are costs involved in running them. Hire of venue, materials, salary of person running course. It all adds up.If I am honest I would rather attend a course ,pay more and not get the points on my nice clean license.(clean through luck)

Traffic officers now have to respond to regular calls as well as traffic so these officers probably do catch "real" criminals as well as "innocent" motorists.In fact because of these regular calls some offenders may be lucky and get off because the officer gets a call before they have issued the ticket.

Kathy

Nice to see common sense and reason return to the thread :thumbup:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is, us in kent dont get offered the corse. its pay+points and thats it.

Not sure that is true as I know they do run the course in Canterbury.

Not sure if that applies if you get caught in Kent though as I'm sure all the 3 people I know who have attended it were caught outside of Kent.

Well when i got caught doing 44 in a 30 because i was under the impression the road was a 40, i questioned if the gun had been calibrated on the off chance, which it had. accepted my punishment, i had broken the law, i gave them my details, listend to him say 'Be carefull' and went back to work.

At the end of the day this is my punishement for breaking the speed limit.

I actually ended up benifiting form it, because it was about the time i was looking at buying the Vrs.

The day before i got an insurance quote of about £800.......... got my points and my fine and thought that is it no Vrs for me........... went home did a quote and it was about £725 With the points.

I wasnt ****ed off as he was doing his job as a traffic officer keeping the traffic on the road within the law. SAFE! after that i try to keep my speed in public areas to the legal limit, if i am unaware of the speed on the road i am traveling, then 30 it is! unless it is a duel carrageway (an obvious Duel, No lamposts) then 40/50mph

Motorways are a different situation, if the road is traveling at 80, then i travel at 80, its safer to keep with the flow of traffic at that type of speed.

And i will put my hands up, if the road is empty i will strech my legs a little, but if i get caught doing it then i get caught! i shouldent be doing it on a public highway!

44 in a 30 is nearly 150% of the speed limit....I would tend to agree that is breaking the law, but people do it from time to time, I think if you speed in a 30 zone you're more likely to risk injuring someone than on a motorway (you know, where the kids dont play kerby or football?!) Anyway, my point in this case is, its on somthing that isnt really common knowlege - I didnt know vans had a different speed limit and I think being as he was sticking to what would essentially be the speed limit for a car with one hell of a steady driver, it just seems a joke.

With that attitude it looks like we have a very selfish driver who believes they are above the law, untouchable & life owes them everything. emoticon-0108-speechless.gif

I really really just hope for their sake that the police ( who should be out catching criminals ) are not the ones to walk down the path to the house of their parents to deliver news that no parent should hear. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Bold statement to make based on forum comments, being as youve made one about me, I'll go out on a whim and say your an arrogant SOB who thinks he knows it all.

Why do you hope that?

44 in a 30 is nearly 150% of the speed limit....I would tend to agree that is breaking the law, but people do it from time to time, I think if you speed in a 30 zone you're more likely to risk injuring someone than on a motorway (you know, where the kids dont play kerby or football?!) Anyway, my point in this case is, its on somthing that isnt really common knowlege - I didnt know vans had a different speed limit and I think being as he was sticking to what would essentially be the speed limit for a car with one hell of a steady driver, it just seems a joke.

150% over would make me doing about 65mph (roughly)

I was 50% over

And i dont do it anymore because i got caught......... i lernt!

Bold statement to make based on forum comments, being as youve made one about me, I'll go out on a whim and say your an arrogant SOB who thinks he knows it all.

Watch it. :smirk:

Enjoy BIMC!

Edited by vRSsunroof

44 in a 30 is nearly 150% of the speed limit

Correct

I'll go out on a whim and say your an arrogant SOB who thinks he knows it all

That's not on :no:

Might I suggest you check the forum rules. Kathy

Hear hear :thumbup:

150% over

That wasn't what he said :no:

30 * 1.5 is 45, not 65. Oh and 150% over 30 is 75, not 65.

Pure genius :)

well Yesterday was Blue monday

Today is smart arse tuesday!

im tired of briskoda today.

see you all soon

Take one of these 3 times a day, preferrably with a pint............it may help........works wonders for me :thumbup:

chill_pill.jpg

Might I suggest you check the forum rules.

Kathy

Does it mention somthing about one rule for one, another for another?

150% over would make me doing about 65mph (roughly)

I was 50% over

And i dont do it anymore because i got caught......... i lernt!

Watch it. :smirk:

Enjoy BIMC!

I said of mate not over, 100% of somthing is the original value.

Correct

That's not on :no:

Hear hear :thumbup:

That wasn't what he said :no:

Pure genius :)

Thanks.

And just out of interest why is it ok to call me selfish etc? but its not ok for me to retaliate?

Edited by VRSDanny

Does it mention somthing about one rule for one, another for another?

I said of mate not over, 100% of somthing is the original value.

Thanks.

And just out of interest why is it ok to call me selfish etc? but its not ok for me to retaliate?

I think the comment of 150% was misread. Sometimes if you put one and a half times the limit people will not misread and not get a huff on. :giggle:

the next comment:

With that attitude it looks like we have a very selfish driver

( sorry IT idiot here cannot work out this multi quote thingy :) )

The above is a comment based on what has gone on already.The poster does not say we definitely have but says it looks like, slightly different meanings.

Your retaliation is not a fair comment, it can be read as a personal attack which is why I referred you to the rules.

I am guessing that you did not mean it as a personal attack , but ,that you chose the wrong wording to retaliate. The problem with talking via the forums is that sometimes people can misread and take offence. I have to say that your clever little emoticon did not help the matter .

Having checked your profile and knowing Lfc958's I see that there is quite an age difference. In fact you are younger than our younger son. Would you expect anyone on a forum to call your parent what you called him?

Enough said.

Kathy

I have 6 points currently, not 9. I saw the van and checked my speedo and it said 72ish- I didnt feel any need to slow down. Im a scaffolder so driving isnt the main part of the job I do its just a small part. And my employer (dad) is going to get letters out to everybody explaining the speed rules in our vans on monday.

What were the previous 6 points for, and how old are they?

What were the previous 6 points for, and how old are they?

SP30 - Speeding in a 30 zone - 2 years ago

SP70 - Speeding in a 70 zone - 3 months ago

I wonder why the only cars in the car park being done for the sp30 were corsa's clio's saxo's 106's and young drivers cars? oh never mind the taxi and people carrier blasting past as he was issueing the fine. funny enough the person with the camera was resting his arm as they went by.

Edited by ROS53Y

There is so much holier than thou carping in this thread I think Colin is thinking of selling it to Pistonheads

And for anyone who frequents PH, they'll know that certain SCP employees frequent motoring sites looking for any info to use against anyone facing speeding tickets.

Might I suggest ( and possibly mods might post advice on this somewhere) that any information liable to the person be removed - i.e this poster has provided place etc and VRM.

I think the comment of 150% was misread. Sometimes if you put one and a half times the limit people will not misread and not get a huff on. :giggle:

the next comment:

With that attitude it looks like we have a very selfish driver

( sorry IT idiot here cannot work out this multi quote thingy :) )

The above is a comment based on what has gone on already.The poster does not say we definitely have but says it looks like, slightly different meanings.

Your retaliation is not a fair comment, it can be read as a personal attack which is why I referred you to the rules.

I am guessing that you did not mean it as a personal attack , but ,that you chose the wrong wording to retaliate. The problem with talking via the forums is that sometimes people can misread and take offence. I have to say that your clever little emoticon did not help the matter .

Having checked your profile and knowing Lfc958's I see that there is quite an age difference. In fact you are younger than our younger son. Would you expect anyone on a forum to call your parent what you called him?

Enough said.

Kathy

Look, I appreciate what I said wasn't nice, and without going into technicalities, I was called somthing first, but hey sticks and stones right? I wouldnt expect my parent to come on and start making comments like that to other people and if they did I'd think they would expect a reply? right, this really isnt for me anyway, how about we end this heated topic with a truce? sooo err.....truce?

There's retaliation, and there's retaliation :yes:

If "selfish" = 100%, I'd say "arrogant SOB" must be at least 150% or 200% of that, if not more :yes:

And just for clarification, I did mean "of" and not "over" :)

Edited by Brimma

There's retaliation, and there's retaliation :yes:

If "selfish" = 100%, I'd say "arrogant SOB" must be at least 150% or 200% of that, if not more :yes:

And just for clarification, I did mean "of" and not "over" :)

This post made me actually LOL :giggle::thumbup:

Problem is, us in kent dont get offered the corse. its pay+points and thats it.

Which makes it all so unfair, some counties offer training at a price, others it is points licence removed and your lively hood is gone, unemployed ,broke and family broken up

Where Tom in the next county pays £200 and can continue his life

Where is the justice in that

National

Which makes it all so unfair, some counties offer training at a price, others it is points licence removed and your lively hood is gone, unemployed ,broke and family broken up

Where is the justice in that

National

The courses were brought in as a discretionary alternative, not a mandatory alternative, so if you can get on one you are lucky, if you can't then you are no worse off than you would have been before they were introduced

If you were in a position to lose your licence as a result of your offence (either as a consequence of its severity or through totting up) you wouldn't be offered a speed awareness course. It's designed to correct the behaviour of drivers with otherwise clean driving records who may have developed a bad habit or two, not to allow people to buy their way out trouble.