all octy 1 owners please read this !

Guest westallc

damo it really is so easy buddy looks harder than it is!!!

i would let my 10 year old bro do it its that easy

Its not that I think I cant do it, its having the confidence to do it, and to know what to do if things dont go right I guess.

Are you and your 10yr old brother ever in Sheffield? :rofl:

On a more serious note, thanks for highlighting this potentially expensive problem

Damo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between work and home I've stripped and rebuilt hundreds of engines, and I dont recall ever seeing rusty oil strainers on any of the engines.

Weird how in both the pic's that furry and bowders took of there old oil strainers.....both have rust spots on them ???

I would have expected components submerged in oil would be rust free.

Very strange.

Bill.

Orderd my new strainer from Bickertons Skoda in Sheffield.

Pick up the part Monday, and it cost me just under a tenner.

Well worth it for peace of mind :thumbup:

Just need to sort out some oil, a filter and a competent person with a spanner.

The question is, do I go Castrol Edge or Mobil 1?

I cant seem to find a definitive answer despite performing loads of searches...too many conflicting stories as regards the best oil to suit the vRS

Any one shed some light on it for me?

Cheers

Damo

Orderd my new strainer from Bickertons Skoda in Sheffield.

Pick up the part Monday, and it cost me just under a tenner.

Well worth it for peace of mind :thumbup:

Just need to sort out some oil, a filter and a competent person with a spanner.

The question is, do I go Castrol Edge or Mobil 1?

I cant seem to find a definitive answer despite performing loads of searches...too many conflicting stories as regards the best oil to suit the vRS

Any one shed some light on it for me?

Cheers

Damo

I wondered the same thing ended up getting quantum 5w-30 think you can get that and the filter from the Skoda dealer. Its what they use and its cheaper than brand name stuff.

I wondered the same thing ended up getting quantum 5w-30 think you can get that and the filter from the Skoda dealer. Its what they use and its cheaper than brand name stuff.

I went with 5w-30 castrol edge. Very good oil smells nice too... :giggle:

Edited by Bowders1

Thats what I have always used, and mines been fine :thumbup:

And at TPS it's less that 20 notes wuith a filter and sump plug

• 1 month later...

Had mine done by UNIT 18 yesterday for piece of mind. Mine wasn't too bad and instead of replacing it they cleaned the one already on there out, after all it's just a gauze so no real need in changing it. I think the main gain was clearing all the sludge out from my sump :thumbup:

To be fair to UNIT 18 they didn't charge me much more than an oil change to do it so it was well worth doing :thumbup: top guys and would recommend them strongly, well worth a visit.

I went with 5w-30 castrol edge. Very good oil smells nice too... :giggle:

i thought it was only me that thought it smelt nice lol,

as for the pickup, done a fair few in my time too, particually bad on the 1.8ts as mentioned, my old 1.8t lauren and klement was originally brought with a blown turbo, and that was down to a blocked strainer, and the fact it hadnt been serviced for 2 years,

i did mine the other day,its an 05 45k car and it didnt need doing to be honest.no part of the pick up was even slightly sludgy or blocked,i even did a tb clean and that was a waste of time.and my car has done short trips and is on long life servicing........figure that out.

Yeh this happened with my VRS ---- ON THE WAY HOME AFTER BUYING IT! on the motorway ... fixed for £9 lol .. but i did do the water pump, timing kit, oil pump all at the same time etc etc.

Solved the problem thanks to the lovely members on this website xD DARLINGS! haha

I had mine done with all fluids changed.

My car is a 05, it had about 50,000 miles on the clock and didn't really need to be done.

But the part was only €12 and it only cost me a extra €35 in labor, so in my mind, it was cost effective preventative maintenance.

Would a oil catch can prevent sludge, or help with the pick-up pipe issue?

I will be changing the pick-up pipe in the next weeks as mine is around 75k miles and i will post pictures.

Would this mean it is best to avoid buying cars with a full service history that have been on the "long life service schedule"? I only ask because I am going to look at one in a couple of days that has been serviced with long life oil but only every 2 years/20,000 miles, which is something I find surprising that Skoda would condone.

Would this mean it is best to avoid buying cars with a full service history that have been on the "long life service schedule"? I only ask because I am going to look at one in a couple of days that has been serviced with long life oil but only every 2 years/20,000 miles, which is something I find surprising that Skoda would condone.

No, just get the sump pick up changed for piece of mind :thumbup:

Hmm..very interesting that sump thing

My car is 10 years old and I never had problems with oil pressure or sluge.I use only Liqui Moly oil every 10.000km.

The engine is very clean inside,the camshafts are shiny and no oil deposit.

just make sure you get the pick up pipe done when you buy it,it only takes 2 hrs tops.most of that time is cleaning the sump out prior to refitting it.longlife servicing is fine,but i do change the oil and filter every year anyway,so it never really goes for 2 yrs on the same oil and filter..

Longlife oil is no good for your engine. It is only good for fleet buyers who want minimum servicing costs for vehicles.

Once every 6000 miles, or annual will be fine. :thumbup:

Longlife oil is no good for your engine. It is only good for fleet buyers who want minimum servicing costs for vehicles.

Once every 6000 miles, or annual will be fine. :thumbup:

Annual, every 30k for me ;-)

I am looking to change the pick up pipe on my VRS. However, is there a guideline for how much sealant to use? As I've heard that using too much runs the risk of it ending up in the sump and clogging the pick up pipe.

Is it possible to use a gasket instead of sealant to avoid this?

I am looking to change the pick up pipe on my VRS. However, is there a guideline for how much sealant to use? As I've heard that using too much runs the risk of it ending up in the sump and clogging the pick up pipe.

Is it possible to use a gasket instead of sealant to avoid this?

This keeps cropping up but no proof of it actually happening.

A 3mm bead is good enough. Look at the pics i posted on page 2(in think). It needs to be enough to have a seal but not over lapping the inside. So just go round the outside of the screw holes( i actually did a thin ring also around all screw holes). You will be fine with that.

There is no gasket for the sump, sealant is used for these engines. That must at least tell you it can't be that bad of a issue. If you do not put enough the sump will leak so bear that in mind also.