Octavia II diesel fuel consumption

I got an '07 plate Elegance diesel estate just under 2 months ago and find that the fuel consumption is noticeably worse than the X registered Ambience estate diesel I traded in for it. This is worse on average by as much as 10%, and I haven't changed my driving style !! And yes I've checked the tyre pressures and I use 6th gear.

Is this a measurement anomaly in that the Mk 1 was calculating high (typically 50mpg +, and approaching 60 on long runs) and the Mk2 displays low (at least 5mpg down on these figures), or is there possibly something wrong that I need to get looked at before the warranty runs out. There is nothing to indicate poor performance.

Rob

I got an '07 plate Elegance diesel estate just under 2 months ago and find that the fuel consumption is noticeably worse than the X registered Ambience estate diesel I traded in for it. This is worse on average by as much as 10%, and I haven't changed my driving style !! And yes I've checked the tyre pressures and I use 6th gear.

Is this a measurement anomaly in that the Mk 1 was calculating high (typically 50mpg +, and approaching 60 on long runs) and the Mk2 displays low (at least 5mpg down on these figures), or is there possibly something wrong that I need to get looked at before the warranty runs out. There is nothing to indicate poor performance.

Rob

The Mark 2 is much bigger and heavier thnan the Mk1. I have a 1.9D -130 hp and have had a 140 hp PD in a SEAT and the 1,9D is both about 8 mpg better and actually quicker accelerating than the 140 hp diesel. It is due to both venhicle weight and the extra inertia in the 2 litre engines which they have made smoother but at some cost of acceleration and fuel consumption. I will be holding on to my 1.9D 130 hp until there is a significant improvement in the 4 cylinder VAG diesel. With the VAT deal I , like many others, chopped to TSI petrol as the 20% less to buy and ever closer diesel to petrol fuel consumption means petrol is currently the logical choice. Add increasing price difference from diesel to petrol and predicted diesel shortages as it has to come from outside Europe where petrol comes from North Sea.

Probably nothing wrong with the Mk 2car. Does it smoke, has it been serviced, air filter changed if yes then probably normal. About 50-52 for Mk 2 diesel and 57-58 mpg for the old 1.9 D is normal.

Edited by lol

About 50-52 for Mk 2 diesel and 57-58 mpg for the old 1.9 D is normal.

At the moment we are getting around 45mpg for the mk11 2.0tdi dsg and around 50mpg for our mk1 Octavia est 1.9tdi 90bhp.

Both get used about the same on the same daily route.

Rob

A lot of the difference could be down to the trip computer. My first 2 Octys, a Mk1 and a Mk2, were both optimistic by about 5% but my current FL Octy is pessimistic by about 2%. So if the real consumption was 50mpg my old cars would read 52.5mpg but my new car would show only 49mpg an apparent difference of 3.5mpg or 7%.

My '56 reg Ambiente estate read 69.9 mpg on a recent trip the whole length of the North Wales A55 and back, does about 55 to 60 on about 15 mile mixed road trips and about 25 to 40 on very short local miles that my old Omega petrol estate was doing 7.5mpg on. That was the penalty for full choke all the way driving.

Because I was used to recording petrol usage in a log book, the actual figures were worked out in a log when I first got the car. These showed about a 5% optimistic reading on the tripometer.

I do try to be frugal because I had to be with the Omega and the Disco and previous Land Rovers.

The OP has a 2.0 PD 140, hence the mention of 6th gear. Its well known that the 2.0 uses more fuel as its a larger engine in just the same way a 1.6 petrol uses more fuel than a 1.4. My old 2005 Elegance PD140 would show between 50 and 55MPG on the computer

Just worked mine out based on fuel used and replaced - over a total distance 383 miles I used 38.27ltr converted this gives 8.4 gallons. This works out to 45mpg mixed driving which, for a vRS TDi with less than 1000miles on the clock, is very good.

Rich

Over the past 4k miles, mine has averaged 49mpg (calculated**). Trip computer shows ~5% more than this.

A lot of long motorway driving (150miles+) with plenty of hills at the start and end of the week, with short stop-start journeys

inbetween.

Car, a PD140, just turned 110K this morning.

Have to say, prolonged use of Shell diesel make a noticeable difference on economy.

** Phone app calculating :-)

Edited by swil00

My 07 140PD Estate is rapidly approaching 100k and reads 56-57 on the display as an avergae of (mostly) short commuting driving.

The reality is that, having checked this over the past 8 tank fills, it is really 48-49mpg!

A big difference between computers and reality...

These inflated claims are v e r y annoying. If your trip compeuchter is fairly accurate then quote that in arguements, but otherwise stick to full tank to full tank calculations.

Mine is in agreement to within 1 mpg so I'll just say that my best mpg ever was 54.7 on a motorway trip from Bromsgrove to Chesterfield last week. My normal overall figure is 48mpg.

The only local branded fuels, which I normally use, are Esso or Total. Shell, BP etc are well away from me and are about 5p more.

Edited by gregoir

Funnily enough I was over in Chesterfield on Saturday!

Have a look at my fuelly page, I am averaging 48.something over about 9000 miles, all calculated using fuelly.

I have seen a noticeable increase in fuel economy since Ben at Shark did his magic.

For the record, my trip computer is about spot on, and currently shows 53mpg over the last 3 tanks.

If I drive at 55mph on the motorway I reckon I could get 60+ mpg and 700 miles to a tank on a long trip to London and back.

But I don't! - even harder to not use the power since the remap - all I can say is that the fuel economy hasn't suffered and I will get about 48mpg if I accelerate hard off of roundabouts etc and drive at 80mph all the time on the motorway.

I find a sensible mix of the two will average me about 53-56mpg, as well as keep the number of speeding tickets down!

You can accurise the trip computer using VCDS.

I use road trip personally and over the last 8209miles I'm averaging 52.27Mpg. That's a mix of motorway and urban driving. I accurised my trip computer and found it was under estimating by about 3mpg.

V-Power Diseasel seems to give me good mpg aswell

Car is a PD140 DSG with 76k on the clock.

Edited by vRS Carl

If your trip computer is fairly accurate then quote that in arguements, but otherwise stick to full tank to full tank calculations.

+1

The only accurate MPG calculations involve a fuel receipt, a pen and some mental arithmetic.

On long motorway trips, Glasgow to Portsmouth, doing around 70mph via cruise control, I am getting around 52mpg, which on a Scout I am more than impressed with. On mixed driving I am getting 38-44mpg. This is calculated using Road Trip Lite. The trip computer usually reads to within 5mpg. My normal fuel of choice is Shell as my local is the cheapest around, 9ppl cheaper than the motorway service robbers and 5ppl cheaper than Tesco in Portsmouth!

Fin

• 4 years later...

My fuel computer is way over optimistic and since I bought the car in July reports I'm getting in excess of 62mog when calculated figures on a tank to tank fill are between 52 and 57 mpg ... I think the closest it's been is 5mpg and the worst almost 10mpg out

Over more than 23,000 miles my car as averaged almost exactly 45mpg (calculated).  The mpg readout is 5% optimistic.  My drives vary from 3 miles to 25 miles with the occasional run over 100 miles.  On runs over 15 miles I often see a mpg readout of close tor 53mpg so really nearer 49mpg.

I'm getting 54.9 mpg, (1.6 diesel ) that's by keeping a record of fuel put in and miles driven.

( That's if I can trust  the computer which gives the mileage driven).

I don't go by the fuel mpg readout which is a lot higher than it actually is. 

The speed shown is also higher by about 5mph at indicated speed of 60 mph. so I'm actually doing 55 which shows as 60.  That's comparing it against two GPS sources

( Stops getting caught by the cameras! ) 

This could mean that I'm not getting 54.9 mpg if the mileage given is lower  than actually travelled.   Now I'm unsure what mpg I'm getting :thumbdown:

If you've calculated the actual consumption and want to change the displayed figure to be more accurate, find someone with VCDS and get them to change it.

It won't be 100% accurate, but will be a closer representative.