" How many Hours a Week do you Work "

I'm contracted to work a 35 hour week Monday to Friday with option to do overtime at weekend.

I get 33 days holiday a year plus 5 bank holidays and the option to take a extra 12 days holiday over the year if I make up the time, which I do so I'm working usually a 40hour week, so my total holiday entitlement is at least 50 days if I make up the time!

Davy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you add up all my Rest Days, Holidays and the 9 floating days I Work 192 days of the year

Who's Moaning

Just worked mine out:

14 days per pattern x 13 shift cycles - 17 days A/L = 165!!

Rarely work any extras.

So that makes it roughly 1600 days until I retire. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I too work shifts.

x2 12hr days

x2 12hr nights

x4 days off then back to days again

Not bad for an IT job and there's no call :thumbup: so once I'm out of the office work cant follow me home

no extra pay for working bank holidays or xmas day :thumbdown:

it does pay the bills and allows me reasonable time off with the family too

Edited by matt@theforce

Contracted to work 37 1/2 hrs per week or what ever reasonal extra hours are required to perform my duties (I knew that was in my contract and signed up to it but don't know where that would stand in law.

regular week is 9 - 5.30 Mon to friday but usually in at 8.30 an dnever leave before 6.00. Occassional requirement to work odd evenings.

An hours commute at each end of the day.

Take some work home almost every weekend.

Holidays 23 days plus 9 banks but rarely manage to fit them all it and still cover the workload so miss out on 1 or 2 a year - no carry over allowed except in exceptional circumstances.

Edited by slider

Always amazes me that some of the longest hours and most awkward shift patterns are worked in industries where you would have thought employers would have endeavoured to reduce stress on workers in order to minimise accidents e.g.railways, hospital doctors, aircraft maintenance, tanker drivers. Perhaps if people worked health and safety regulated patterns there would be a few hundred thousand more job vacancies and fewer accidents at work.

As as for these continental shift (12 hour and above) alternating shift patterns, they've been proved to be positively injurious to health.

Meself now office worker, hence 10.00 to 18.00/30, with 25 minute car commute each way

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Always amazes me that some of the longest hours and most awkward shift patterns are worked in industries where you would have thought employers would have endeavoured to reduce stress on workers in order to minimise accidents e.g.railways, hospital doctors, aircraft maintenance, tanker drivers. Perhaps if people worked health and safety regulated patterns there would be a few hundred thousand more job vacancies and fewer accidents at work.

Nick

Nick,

on the railway hours are very strictly controlled, to the extent that the Railways Act can take precedent over other matters. That is one of the reasons we signalmen on 12 hour shifts do seem to get what looks a long time off. Because our Sundays are not part of the base roster/working week, and are paid as voluntary overtime, we really only work 36 hours a week, so are in fact inside H & S guidelines.

TBH the shift pattern in our area isn't too bad. We change over (officially) at 0600 and 1800, although some areas change at 1200 and 2400. It means that with my hour commute to work each way I miss the traffic most of the time.

Edited by Llanigraham

I work mainly dayshift and do between 64 and 84 hours a week most weeks ,contract hours are 39 after that it's time+1/2 ,welding anything from carbon, super duplex,stainless steel etc for the offshore industry.

Edited by fikes75

It depends if I'm office-bound or working on site.

Office hours are 09:00 - 17:30 Monday to Friday with 1hr lunch (unpaid)

If on site it varies massively depending on travel times, hours of daylight, weather etc so a day can be anything from 5 to 15 hrs. I try not to work more than 37.5hrs per week if I can help it though as I don't get overtime or TOIL :(

My sort of thread this...

Contract: 31 hours spready over any 5 days from 7.

Average week: 40 hours spread over 5 days from 7.

My favourite week: 60+ hours spready over 5 - 7 days (6th and 7th days are paid at time + 1/2).

Without travel: I'll sometimes start work at 7:30am and leave at 9:30pm.

With travel: I'll sometimes leave at 7am and get back at 10:10pm.

It all depends which shop I'm working at tbh - shift vary so much but earliest I'd have to be in a shop is 7am to get it open for 8am, with the latest being shop close at 10pm (although the ones in my area tend to be 9:30pm).

The more hours for me the better is my view. If I only work my contracted hours the money is pathetic,not even £10,000 a year.

Work for NHS so officially contracted and paid for 37.5 hours a week.

Work Monday to Friday, usually on emails before 7am, in office at 8am. no formal lunch break, do try to leave work before 5.30pm, but regular evening meetings as well. on payscale with no overtime so for 37.5 hours contract NHS probably gets 50-55 hours a week- still love my job and wouldnt want to be doing anything else (other than retired after a lottery win)

Do you Work, Days, Nights, Shifts, Long/short Days or what:-

Me, I work shifts.

I work on a 12 Week roster, sat/sun in with the working Week. Week starts on a Sunday. I get decent time off as Rest Days are grouped together,2days one week, 3 the next = 5days off (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues,)

Some weeks work 50+ hours some weeks less than 20

Suits me fine.

Wow, do you count driving to place of work as work as half my week is driving to places of work? 20 hours on PC I guess and 20 hours driving.

Hardly ever worked 9 to 5, probably travelled over a million miles by air, rail, road and sea. Always the dilhemma is "travel" work time or not? Usually split around 50:50 and that seems to be fair. It is always the effect of home life that is the tough one and then travel disasters which mean arriving home later than planned, especially with a young family. Being ex-Merchant Navy, and similar offshore activity which I risk prosecution going into, hours worked sometime depended on how events unfolded during the knock.

Very difficult to balance home/work. Like the French/European way ie long lunches, August off but then they often work to 7 or 8 many nights!

Edited by lol

I'm self employed and run my own business.

I work as many hours as necessary. A long day can be 10-12 hours door to door which is an average of 70-84 hours over a 7 day week.

I work a 35 hour week worked out over a 36 week period, divided into 4 week segments

either 5 or 7 days (5 7.5 hr shifts, with 2 12 hour shifts at a weekend at the start of the shift pattern every other month)then the weekend

4 or 5 evenings (rest day every other month alternating between monday and friday)then the weekend

7 or 5 nights (last 2 nights are 12 hour weekends with rest days in their place every few months) then rest days until the next saturday or monday depending on where I am in the shift pattern.

I work about 50-100 hours a week as I am self employed and work when it is available. Most days are 12-20 hours long.

This week is about 66 hours long, next week is about 50, but some jobs like the Grand National or Wimbledon tennis, are about 80-90 hours a week.(possibly a bit more if the weather causes problems)

Mind you I have a 3 day week coming up and that is only about 35 hours (unless I get a better offer :) )

Edited by Lady Elanore

Please keep this thread on topic, its not posted in the general/off topic area but the serious part of the forum, I have deleted some unnecessary and totally OT banter.

Me, I am quiet lucky I guess.

Work a 37.5 hour week, Monday to Friday days only. All overtime is also paid at either time and a half or double time, which is quiet handy. Overtime is quiet rare, and I am usually at home by 6pm having left for work at 8.50am. I work in IT for a large european employer which has many contracts and offices across the EU.

I work in full time employment Monday - Friday, 9-5pm with an hour of breaks per day.

Further to that I do approximately 15 hours freelance work a week, so probably about 50-55 hours in total

Oh yes it makes a complete farce of the WTD!!

Mine varies between 40hrs (rarely happens) - 70hrs per week, but always seem to work out less than the 48hrs WTD maximum :dull:

I can't work out how they do this, a short week for me is 60+ hours and some weeks i can clock a lot more!!!! Yet my printed wtd sheet done by my boss allways has me at about 47 hours average, how he works that out i don't know as my payslip shows a completly different storey!!!!!

I can't work out how they do this, a short week for me is 60+ hours and some weeks i can clock a lot more!!!! Yet my printed wtd sheet done by my boss allways has me at about 47 hours average, how he works that out i don't know as my payslip shows a completly different storey!!!!!

Gary that's because any POA or breaks are not included in the 48hr week for the WTD, so basically only driving and 'other work' is counted.

For a living, I stop brickwork from falling down. Contracted working hours are 37.5hrs a week but the work takes me all over the country so I have to do a lot of driving. On average I'm out the door at 6am and get home around 6pm. It's all physical labour too so by Friday all I generally want to do is go to bed. Just as well I dont have to work weekends :D

09.00 - 17.15 monday to thursday and 09.00 - 16.00 on a friday but we rarely finish on time and I often fail to take my (unpaid) lunch break. we do have to schedule some work after hours and weekends now and again, for which we get TOIL at time despite not actually having the time to use the regular annual leave we get... :thumbdown:

Monday to Friday , no weekend working , total hours required from me =37.On flexi time with core hours and even if I do not take a lunch due to workload I have to enter at least half an hour taken.

Huge commute to work, it takes me at least 10 minutes to drive there .

it takes me at least 10 minutes to drive there .

And only 5 to get home as it's all down hill :rofl:

Glad it's going ok Kathy.