OK Which broadband provider ??

skodaw

Currently with Wanadoo on 1mb,but getting really pi~~ed off with them - apart from the time it took them to swap me from 512k to 1mb- they charged me for both services 2months on the run - I've now been waiting three months for the refund - each bill I ring and they promise to sort next bill - just got this months bill and guess what......

Thats wright they have still not provided the credit - I rang them and said unless they sort this quickly and before next billing cycle I will cancel and go elsewhere.......

There response ??

"Would you like me to complete your request to de-activate your account now sir!" :eek: :mad::mad::mad:

So who else can I get BB from - must be a least 1mb,but quite fancy going to 2mb if poss :D

Just signed up with Demon after a recommendation.

Must say i'm impressed with the service so far - the guy seemed very professional and clued up.

They are sending me a new ADSL modem which wil be configured specially for my new Mac and will be "plug and play" so no hassle whatsoever hopefully.

I have full back up support with 512k speed with no download limit for

had ntl - pants. got BT and not a single problem since. nice easy worry free BT

Whereas, after having rubbish dialup due to a BT engineer who couldn't diagnose a line properly, I've been with NTL for 2 years and have received great service from them with no hiccups... ;)

Hope this makes your decision easier Dave. :D

Rob.

Yup, funnily enough, despite the slagging that BT frequently get, they've been top-notch for me. No hassles - easy upgrade when I went to 1Mb. Not the cheapest, mind you, and there is the 15Gb/30Gb limit, but then I won't get anywhere near that...

IVe been on BT Yahoo for a few years, had it upgraded to a 1mb link last year. But this week ive signed up for UK Onlines 8mb ADSL connection. It gets activated on the 5th Feb :D Knowing my luck the connection will fail every 2 minutes, gotta be some downside to getting such access!

If its crap ill go back to BT

Been with ntl for years now, ntl are also about to bump up their broadband speeds for the 2nd time with no increase in monthly spend.

150K is going to 1MB

750K is going to 2MB

1.5MB is going to 3MB

We have had no real problems with the service, and when we have had customer services have always been helpfull.

IVe been on BT Yahoo for a few years' date=' had it upgraded to a 1mb link last year. But this week ive signed up for UK Onlines 8mb ADSL connection. It gets activated on the 5th Feb :D Knowing my luck the connection will fail every 2 minutes, gotta be some downside to getting such access!

If its crap ill go back to BT[/quote']

JHC, how much how much and where do find out if i can get it :eek:

Been with ntl for years now' date=' ntl are also about to bump up their broadband speeds for the 2nd time with no increase in monthly spend.

150K is going to 1MB

750K is going to 2MB

1.5MB is going to 3MB

We have had no real problems with the service, and when we have had customer services have always been helpfull.[/quote']

I'm with ntl too. I thought with the increase in speed they were bringing in a donwload limit though? But you'd have the choice of staying on your old speed with no limit.

I've been on Telewest blueyonder 256k broadband for about 8 months and can't complain. The service is great, and although you get put through to India when you call the service centre, at least they know what they're on about. You need cable though to access this service.

Bluyonder prices

Aside from huge downloads (DVD images, anyone?), I'd say 1 or 2mb would be fine - after that it's not going to make online games any better, or 'net radio sound better, or even movie trailers look better, etc.

Then again, in Japan they have way faster broadband at much lower prices... so we're all getting ripped off if you look at it globally :D

Aside from huge downloads (DVD images' date=' anyone?), I'd say 1 or 2mb would be fine - after that it's not going to make online games any better, or 'net radio sound better, or even movie trailers look better, etc.

Then again, in Japan they have way faster broadband at much lower prices... so we're all getting ripped off if you look at it globally :D[/quote']

We always have had a raw deal with internet access in the UK. In the early days of dial up the Americans only paid subscription to the ISP, at a time when over here you had to pay the monthly subscription plus full call charges for the time you were online. To be honest for ordinary net use the 512K is fine and barely feels slower than the ethernet connection in work which is anything from 8mb to 10mb depending on what time of the day you measure it. Faster would be better for downloads, but often when downloading on the quick work connection, it is the speed of the server sending the file is the major limiting factor, meaning that you often achieve speeds well below what my home 512k connection is capable of.

Have to admit the only online games I play are Online Checkers and Reversi (part of Win XP).

You might have a 8/10mb connection at work, but how many people are sharing it?

We have a 'fat pipe' at work but it's usually a lot slower than my home connection because I have a better contention ratio there :)

You might have a 8/10mb connection at work' date=' but how many people are sharing it?

We have a 'fat pipe' at work but it's usually a lot slower than my home connection because I have a better contention ratio there :)[/quote']

the 8-10mb I quote is based on taking measurements of the band width using the ADSL guide page and a little extension I found for Firefox.